Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NATURAL HABITAT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Aug 4, 2019.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Is there anything better than driving an old car in its "natural habitat?" I'm starting to get my model T out and really drive it and found out how stressful it is fretting over traffic, fast changing traffic lights, and high speed limits. Then I hit a country gravel road and like magic I felt comfortable as could be putting along at 25 mph. Same thing in my 50 Dodge, I take it on the interstate and busy 2 lane hiways only if I have to. Once I hit a nice 55 mph 2 lane road I cruise right along at 45 to 50 mph. I think its funny how out of place you can feel on a modern road sometimes. You realize how slow (hot rods excluded) your car really is and its limitations. Then on a road it was made for it performs just like it should and somehow doesn't seem out of place at all in the modern world.

Driving old cars feels so normal to me though that I don't even think about it sometimes. I think "why is everybody looking at me?" oh wait, thats right. im driving a car thats almost 100 years old! haha

20190727_182346.jpg

2. I rarely drive on the Interstate, the back roads suit me and my cars much better.
    Sure it takes longer, but when I'm in these car, I'm not in a hurry.
    Cool T!

3. I couldn’t agree more. The interstate just takes me to work. I much prefer two lane roads. Especially when Dad and I are riding motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chavezk21 and Deuces like this.
  4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've got two banger powered Model A's and have cruised quite a bit of Kansas on secondary roads with them, Model A is comfortable at 45-55. Lots of paved secondary roads all over the state, I really get strange looks when I go to the dump with my A pickup, it is a daily driver that hauls a little bit of everything. Lets you see a lot of things most people miss, I do the same thing on the bike.

Attached Files:

Uribe, Deuces, KoolKat-57 and 4 others like this.

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Cool pictures! Kind of looks like my part of the woods around here.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That T....perfect!!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. 1ton

1ton

You are so right. Getting out and cruising in the country is always better than driving in town or on the highway. You have no timeframe or destination. Find some obscure diner and stop for lunch. let your mind wander as you come to an intersection and only then decide which way to go. Hopefully get slightly lost as you come to a little town and have to ask a local just where exactly am I. The clean country air wafting through the open windows until you find the hog farm which jogs your mind to think its time to turn around and head towards home.

brad2v, Uribe, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great trip to Ashtabula county in Ohio.

Try it. Great tour.

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker, Deuces and KoolKat-57 like this.
  10. 66gmc

66gmc

Your model T coupe is really cool!

My old rpu handled quite well in modern traffic, but exploring 2 lane highways and questionable backroads was always more fun. 20170701_143840.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

AirGuide compass, I used to think those were kinda hokey. They work great for unsigned backroads and gravel especially. Sometimes "W38" doesn't really ring a bell. If for example you know there's a major E/W or N/S road you want to run into in 30 miles, it doesn't matter too much what road you're on so long as you're headed more or less in the right direction. This works well on cloudy or overcast days or at night. Just poking around is the best part, stopping at some unmarked known-only-to-the-locals picnic area, old bridges, etc. Manual steering gearbox is like butter on dirt and gravel too.

It's possible to drive 8 or 9 states over and stay off the main roads and highways the entire time, I know because I've done it. The Interstates particularly are absolutely nuts these days.

Deuces and KoolKat-57 like this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Back roads for me, every chance I get!
    Reasonable speed limits, maybe a couple of stop signs, and far fewer distracted drivers!
    I'm with you on this one.
    KK

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the back roads. Five years ago we were headed across Nebraska on 80 headed to Park city KS for the 4th when we decided to take off on 183, drove south to Phillipsburg, took a left and ran on 36 to Smith Center where we had lunch at Jiffy Burger and found out why everyone in the area stopped in for Ice Cream in the process. Then working our way south and hitting 70/40 somewhere in the area of Wilson Lake and on to Salina for the night.
    Thinking back a lot of years, the first Walmart I had ever set foot in was in Hays KS in 1989 on the way to Texas. How things have changed since then.

14. You'd feel right at home at the Newport Hill Climb with that ride. :cool: I'll keep an eye out for you. ;)

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Puttin' along a scenic unbusy road beats the Superhighways for me as well. That said I can buzz along with the crazys on a Major Highway on any Whim I should have to do so...The Ole 327 pushs the Ole Henry Steel like Moses parting the Red Sea...I like that in a way as it clears out the Lungs on the Old Jalopy with plenty more to spare and for now that's were I experience the raw power at my disposal as I have not been to a track to put the pedal to the metal.

I'm sure it looks way out there and that's to be expected...Now the Stockers that max out at 50-55mph with Vintage Acceleration, Brakes and Lighting that certainly could make the going more dangerous and that should be a concern.

16. 1ton

1ton

Hey Mr48chev Your so right. I too was once driving across Nebraska and got tired of the highway. Headed south 30 or 40 miles then headed west again. Went through some cool little towns and met some very nice people. We had plenty of time so we took as much of it as we could. Seemed the locals would just stop and stare as we rolled through. Had a blast

Stogy likes this.
  17. We always look for the roads that got folks from point A to point B before there were freeways- I drive 55 mph and get passed a lot-

Stogy likes this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

One reason I enjoy the Hot Rod Hundreds so much is that the routes stay on two-lane roads, traveling through small towns and the rural countryside.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Hard to find old stuff blasting down a freeway. Secondary tar roads and good old fashion gravel has found me a lot of cool iron.

keith27T likes this.
  20. I live in a farming community and love driving the roads around me.
    Highways now are fast paced not for the for the leisurely drives. Cars are very different now and speed limits much higher. Always liked the back roads anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  21. CME1

CME1

I always drive the 2-lane back roads. My old car's just seem to drive and ride better on the roads they were built to be on. Not much traffic and 55 to 60 cruise speed.

22. I don't like driving on the freeways, a lot of boneheaded drivers to contend with, they see an "old car" and that's the spot where they will change lanes on you, or try to squeeze into a tiny space , with little or no warning.- All in a hurry to get home and sit in front of their big-arsed TV.
    Back roads/streets, turn up the tunes, take in the sights, get there 15 minutes later.

23. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Know EXACTLY what yer talkin about! Ole Ike did us all a favor getting "modern" cars on the Interstate System.