Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys,part 9....Engine in,exhaust,brakes,wiring,test drive.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Kev Nice progress!!!

2. Zibo....Thank's for the offer Travis but I think that should be on a late 70's top fuel dragster. Nice piece!

ftroop...I am glad you like it, I love it myself but I have seen many that are much "Badder". Hell, mine doesn't even have a Hemi in it.

JeffreyJames....That is a life lesson for you right there, always take the good shit off when you sell a car. The rear wheels on the Willys were taken off my old A coupe when I sold it and the front wheels were taken off the Orange Plus Willys when I sold it close to 25 years ago. Helps alot with the cost of the build.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Lesson learned. Don't you worry, I'm going to keep trying to get those suckers back. I'm not given up just yet! Funny thing is I am not sure I can use them, but I want them back none the less!!! You just never know!

4. Hey Man! I'm thinkin you overcentered the diaphram on the pressure plate. Build a clutch pedal stop to prevent that and I bet it works....Redline Racer

5. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Kev I want those rear wheels please! How about a few t-shirts? Bill

6. Yep, Rooman was right, I have already fabbed a stop and it works great now. I had never had that problem before. It's always great to discover a new problem...........maybe not.

7. Bill....you caught me at a weak moment.............just kidding. You do have nice T shirts though!

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have another gift for you Kev.....see ya in a week. Oh yeah car is looking great.

9. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Kev,

Hemi-schmemi! your car has no need of one, it has attitude, without the "over the top" factor of a hemi; and this comes from a non-chevy guy. don't get me wrong, i love an iron '92 breathing thru triple-nickel heads as much as the next guy; but historically speaking, some of the baddest gassers in the land were sbc powered. Charlie Hill's Filthy Forty could, and did, put many b/ and some a/gassers with chrysler and olds power on the trailer home after eliminations. the Mallicoat's b/gas willys sent a lot of a/gas cars home the same route.

dude, your car is righteous....

10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Killer Car man!
    -Steve

11. Got alot of work done Saturday and Sunday with alot of help from friends Perry, Daniel, Jim and Victor. I think they want to see it on the road as much as I do! I had torn down the first donated temporary engine and was getting ready to give it a set of rings when I got a great offer fom friend and all around nice guy Adam (Ratbone on the H.A.M.B.). He had a 327 sitting in his garage that I could come and get for free, turns out he wanted to see this Willys on the road too. Adam got the engine for a Hupmobile RPU project but had to sell the Hup' due to health issues. When we went to pick it up I was expecting a grungy long block that I could put put my good heads on and replace the cam. Turns out it was a recently rebuilt engine, complete carb to pan, clean inside and out. I can't thank Adam enough as I'm building this car on a low budget.
    We decided to test fire it before installing it . I wanted to hear if it had a HP cam in it, I didn't want the comp' looking Willys to have a stock sounding engine. It had a mellow cam in it but Daniel had a higher lift cam at home so he got it and he and Perry poked it in. By the end of the day the engine was test fired, re cammed, painted and in the car.

[​IMG]

Jim Data stopped by to visit and hung around and helped test fire it. I love that guy. Long time drag racer, from 55 Chevy at Lions to current A/gas 7 second 57 Pontiac.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  12. Then On Sunday good friend Victor Young (Vic Young on the H.A.M.B.) spent the afternoon bolting stuff on. Fuel lines, Headers, radiator, tunnel, etc and by the end of the day we were driving it aound the block. This time smoke free. It is good enough to take to the gasser gathering in Lompoc next weekend.

At the end of the day Mary took this pic of us just like the one she took 20 years ago. I can't believe we haven't aged one bit!:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    GordonC likes this.
  13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

That is so cool!
    You're a rich man with your friends helping you!
    Congrats on the rapid progression!

14. I think that's the best before and after pic I have ever seen.

15. RatBone

RatBone

Glad its running! Lets see some wheelie pics now!!:D

16. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Wow! What a great idea and two fantastic pictures,It is really cool when you have a chance to remake it 20 years later...Thanks for sharing...

Steve

17. Kevin you are truly a blessed man with good friends an a Bitchin car!!

18. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, it looks like you are still wearing the same pair of boots. ;) :D Dont forget to post the next picture on the HAMB in 2030. :D :cool:

19. Muttley

Muttley

And a Youtube video would be nice. ;)

20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Kevin-

Great picture of you and Vic! You are truly blessed..........Ohio Dave.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

that's incredible. Great friends and awesome car.

22. Great news... Film at 11...!

23. lorodz

lorodz

wow thats just awsome ....keep it up

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Kev, You sure have some great friends to help you get this Willys on the road. Looking forward to your pictures at the Willy's first show. Have fun.

25. You are not wrong there.:)
    Friendships like that are hard to find.:cool:

26. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Kevin,
    You are truly an inspiration to us all. That Willys is awesome as ever

27. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Way cool to see things coming together. To me great friends are priceless! The Lompoc deal sounds fun..I think Bill's bringin' the SOLO Willys as well. Would love to check it out but have to see you guys at CHHR........

28. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Very cool! Right on Kev, cant wait to see (and hear) it drive down the road in person!

29. It is but where did that stud Kiwi go!? Been replaced by an old dude with white hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No worries Kev, at 40 I still look young but am enjoying every grey hair! Got grandpa Knights Genes, should be bushy white after 50!

30. awesome Kevin congrats! If your driving it to lompoc give me a call so we can meet up in santa barbara and drive out together.