Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys,part 9....Engine in,exhaust,brakes,wiring,test drive.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Took our first test drive today. Pretty exiting but it was a short one, more on that later......

[​IMG]

I have made a lot of progress over the last month or two. My goal is to drive it to the Ventura Nat's. It's only a mile from my house so there are some things that can wait until after the show, charging system etc. I got the rearend assembled, built an exhaust system, got an engine in place, mounted a clutch slave cylinder and linkage, plumbed the rear brakes, plumbed a fuel system. My friend Perry helped me with some wiring and we got it fired up. A lot of work done but still so much to do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the rear end assembled. Finally bought my Moser axles. The rearend is 57 Olds'. My 5 spokes are Chevy pattern and I have a pair of 15x10 Halibrands that are drilled Chevy and olds' pattern so I had the axles made Chevy pattern. The third member is a posi with 4.88 gears. Not practical for long trips but this is an around town car. The brakes are 62 Pontiac. I had to grind the top of the housing flange flat but other than that they bolted right on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a pair of swap meet Flowmaster mufflers ($40pr) so decided to use them, I mounted them behind the rearend and used 2 1/2" tubing to connect to the collectors. I had the muffler shop guy add a couple of bends and then I cut, fit and welded until everything was where I wanted it. Then I wiped em down real good scuffed em up and sprayed on some VHT black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some really cool friends who are generous with time and used parts. It is a huge help on projects like this. My friend Daniel who lives 3 streets over is a real Chevy man. We have some things in common, we both do a lot of side jobs and don't throw much out. He is letting me use this 327 longblock to get my car on the road. I have a shortblock to build but still no funds to build it right so this is a huge help. I have a good pair of heads already built and may put them on this engine if I get bored. I have put my intake, valve covers water pump etc on it now.

[​IMG]

I stepped up and bought a brand new steel flywheel and Centerforce 11" clutch and pressure plate. I plan on abusing it. I really wanted a McLoud dual disc setup but when I found out the price it reminded me that I can never have the shit I really want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In she goes....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Alright now where is the video of it running?? LOL. Looks good Man.

3. monster

monster

Kiwi Kev's threads always inspire me to keep me moving forward on my own project.

4. McFly

McFly

5. started on the rear ballast bumper. 3" pipe with the caps.....

[​IMG]

Here are some more donated parts from cool friends. Simpson belts for workmate Perry and a Holley blue fuel regulator from Vic young..

[​IMG]

So when I started planning my fuel system and was getting ready to order some fittings and hose and my friend Mike from work (who roasts the pig at our BBQ) says I'd better look through his left overs first, well that sure worked out great because 80% of what I needed was right there.

[​IMG]

I made this bracket to mount the regulator....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super custom Isky radiator overflow....

[​IMG]

6. Way to rub it in Kev.....I'd be lucky to make it around the block without getting pinged in Melbourne!

7. Scweet, wish I was still workin down there to come bs and see firsthand. Hopefully be back down there again soon. Coming up to CHHR in a couple months Kev?-Weeks

8. The car has spent a lot of time on my rack:rolleyes: lately. I've been under there doing the pipes, brake lines, wiring, fuel lines, clutch linkage etc...
    [​IMG]

I found a driveshaft in my junk that was suitable for shortening. I guess it was a Chevy one, I bought a conversion U joint for the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Man; that looks nice!

Once you're on the street, I predict that 327's gonna be weezing through those power pack heads. Everything else points to a revvy motor.

Nice thread!!!

10. Muttley

Muttley

11. Unclee...I agree, this is a temporary engine but I may put my decent worked over 202's on there. I'm sure there would be a big difference.
    Thank's Muttley!

12. There have been hiccups along the way. First my super duper Mallory fuel pump quit on me. I think maybe it needed a bypass line back to the tank, anyway Perry came through with a Carter electric pump and we were back in business. Now my clean braided fuel lines in the trunk became a patchwork of rubber hoses but it worked good. Of course the first fuel pressure gauge leaked and the brand new replacement refused to read anything over 2 pounds, I know there was more than 2 pounds because I had one of the carbs apart about 4 times today and the problem turned out to be too much fuel pressure. So it fired up and ran OK so I couldn't wait to take it for a slow cruise up the street. Shifter is adjusted and clutch works good, I pull into the alley and then turn up the street when I shifted from first to second the clutch felt good but there was no second gear. Put it back in first but nothing. No weird noises or anything, clutch seemed to work good. So my neighbor Jerry from 2 doors up (awesome machinist) helped me push it back to my back yard and we tried to figure it out. Everything seemed normal. So jerry left as my friend Daniel pulled up in his 56 Nomad. Next thing you know we had it up on my rack;) and had the tranny out, then the scattershield off and still nothing obvious. For some reason the pressure plate hadn't returned to position and came back as we unbolted it, weird. I will call Centerforce tomorrow and see what I can find out. Sure glad I designed this thing so you can get to the clutch easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gasserkiwi

gasserkiwi

hey kev, thats way cool!!!!!! what an awsome car you have there, bet it was a buz to finally drive it after all of your hard work, i wish i had the money to come over and see it for real but my coupe has left me flat broke, i too am fighting fuel pressure problems with the twin predators, but ill get there. keep going man, i cant wait to see more progress shots,
    cheers from down here
    chris

14. I LOVE IT !!! looks great kev !

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Can't wait to see it....................

16. Looking Damn good there Kev.
    Not long till the Nats now...

17. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Man that one cool ride, Check your your fuel reg., I bought a new one run it about two weeks and the dame thing broke (bypassed) just a thought. I had changed intakes, carbs, before I found out what it was it sucked A$$ alot of work for nothing.....

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Looking awesome Kev! That first pic of you behind the wheel is priceless. At first glance, the wall in back looked like tire smoke!! Haha. It won't be long before that happens for real. BTW, I have that same lift in my garage. I don't know how many times I've hit my head or back on the bottom of the open door. :(

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi Kev,
    That look on your face in the drivers seat is priceless!!!
    Gasser Girl

20. Dude, you ROCK

21. rooman

rooman

Kev,
    on the clutch deal make sure that the pedal travel is restricted so that you can't push the throwout bearing to the point where the diaphragm goes over center. If you do that sometimes it wants to stay "inverted".

Roo

22. Bert

Bert

Good stuff.......looks cookin.....Bert

23. Looks good Kev!

24. wild willey

wild willey

Gotta agree wit "GRITS" you ROCK!!! Sorry to hear DAT you had CLUTCH GREMLINZ..... Unfortunately they stopped to visit me and my "ANGER MANAGEMENT" 56'. Your Lil Willys iz the KATZ AZZ!!! Can't wait fer mo updates!! Thanks fer sharin and makin me ENVIOUS!! B)
    Stay Koolsville!!!
    Jon "WILD" Willey
    www.wildwilleyllc.com

25. Love them Willys! Thanks for posting pics, and keeping us informed.

26. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey Kevin,

Lookin good from hear Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Man all your trials and tribulations look all to real from me.

I worked like a dog to get the mechanical Hilborn fuel injection working on my 40 Willys and finally, finally got it to run on the street.

I tell you it is so,so cool for my Willys to set for a couple of weeks.

Then I decide to go for a drive, push the car out of the garage.

Hit the switch for the priming pump, push the fuel shut off about half way down, count to 20, hit the started button, then the mag switch and boom! the candles are lit. Talk about your heart pumping. Let the engine warm up. Put the four speed in first and away we go.

There is nothing, I said nothing that can replace that thrill! Of course I am speaking as an old guy! Ha! Ha!

Good luck Kev! We all have enjoyed your build!

Now back to the Jack Daniels and Honeybun, all American made!

Gary aka 1940 Willys Coupe

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's about time some cool shit pops up around here!!! Kev, that thing is fucking awesome!!!!! Everything looks perfect and you always have the ability to make a car look like it's ready to pounce, rape and pillage!!!!!

Great work and congrats!

28. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Wow! What a cool car!
    Can't wait to see it finished.

29. Clutched

Clutched

Nasty Habit is ALIVE! SO Awesome!

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Kevin, you're seriously a hero of mine! That car is looking badass and it's good to know that you are also human and dealing with the same gremlins we all do. Nothing beats the excitement of a first drive, even if it needs a little help getting back :D Keep it up dude!