Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nasty Habit Willys coupe...Part 1. body graft.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Jan 20, 2008.

1. I have put my 34 coupe project on the back burner for a while and decided to work on my Willys coupe this year. I had an opportunity to buy a really solid, rust free 37 Willys sedan less front sheetmetal and trunk lid for $3,000. So I sold my front engine dragster to get the money because I knew I could combine the rolling chassis and floorpan from the sedan with the rough coupe body that I have. I had a coupe years ago that I sold to help get a downpayment for my house and I made sure I found another coupe body before I sold it so I could one day build another one. I was getting ready to letter my old car before deciding to sell and I was going to call it "Nasty Habit" so it looks like this car gets the name.

I have had the Willys service sign on my garage for years, now finally I have the Willys in the garage........

[​IMG]

Here is the sedan I started with....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the coupe shell I have been moving around for close to 20 years. The sedan would give me the floor, inner fenders, rear pan,cowl, rolling chassis.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Here are some pics of the body swap....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adam401, Atwater Mike and Deuces like this.
  3. GasserKid

GasserKid

Awesome Kev, just awesome

4. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

WOW. Nice work!. Can't wait to see it done.

Mike

5. Gator

Gator

Nice stuff, very KEWL shop.

6. Flop

Flop

you made that look easssssy!!! nice job

7. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Nice Work , Love the shop set up!

8. With the firewall removed it was time to mock up the engine. I still have the 327 shortblock from my old Willys and some old Chevy speed parts, headers, scattershield,T10 4spd etc so I decided I would run a Chevy in this coupe. I don't have any cash flow to build this car with so it will be built with parts on hand and stuff I can trade for etc. I think I will be selling my RPU in the near future to do some work on my house so maybe then I can buy a good clutch and some aftermarket axles for the Willys. I also need to rebuild the 327. That's an empty block in the pics. The doors, fenders, decklid etc are all old fiberglass items. I still need a hood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

adam401 likes this.
  9. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Fantastic! It's great that you can use the sexy looking stock stampings in the firewall and rear fender wells. And you have a Thames too, so you have the whole gasser thing covered. Can't wait for more progress reports.

10. These are the wheels I'll be running. Crestline fronts and Ansen rears with Inglewood slicks. Took these off my Model A coupe before I sold it. The Halibrands are for my 34 Coupe....

[​IMG]

11. Firewall will be aluminum, the engine will have plenty of setback.The Thames has been sold. Most people seem to like stock looking firewalls and all steel fenders etc on a Willys but I prefer the old race look. I like them because they were such cool old race cars so fiberglass doors etc are fine by me. That's how my old car was and I had plenty of fun with it!

12. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Looks like a "Herculean" effort.LOL
    So,we'll be seein' you at the HAMB Drags this year,Right?
    Lookin' good.

14. Pretty nice sedan that gave it all for the cause! What is the scoop on the track nose in the background?

15. I will be using this Don Long front axle. I found it hanging in the workshop at Blairs speed shop. I am also going to use these Ansen swing pedals that were with some other misc' stuff I bought from Blairs when Phil had to clean up the area behind the shop. These are the traction bars I will run. Bought them for $10 a few years ago. They are really nicely made (tig welded) for how old they are. I am currently installing a 57 Olds rearend onto the existing leaf springs. I have a 4.56 posi 3rd member for it. This is not going to be a car for long trips.

[​IMG]

16. noboD

noboD

Kiwi Kev, that first picture is tits. It would be a killer black and white poster.

17. i have seen the light! these ARE the gates of heaven! good work kiwi.

[​IMG]

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's a nice swap, great work. I've often wondered what someone like Marcel Delay would charge to convert a rust free 4-dr or 2dr sedan Willys to a coupe. In comparison to the coupe value, I think it could be done for less....Still expensive, but less.

19. Track nose in the background is a fiberglass one for a 34. If you've checked the price of real Willys coupes lately you soon realize sacrificing a sedan to get one is no big deal. I figured I was going to have to build a chassis, fab a floor, rear pan etc so for 3 grand I figure I am way ahead and have a better car in the end. I also sold about $1,000 worth of parts from the stripped sedan. Oh and I forgot to mention the best part, the sedan came with clear paperwork and black and yellow CA plates. It is already registered in my name.:D

20. Not faulting the doner, you didd what needed to be done! I happen to know where there are a couple sedans, now just need a gutted coupe.......therre is one here locally as well, guy thinks it is worth 30k with the roof caved in however.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

[​IMG]

I can here the next words out of your mouth, "Put the camera down and come help me with this!" Great work Kev, it's looking good. Getting rid of the sedan will free up some space too!

22. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Truly a Craftsman with the sprit of days gone by.

23. TERPU

TERPU

Go Kiwi Go! Nothing would be cooler than seeing that on the strip. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a hood.

Tim

24. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

What a craftsman. I'll be watching this build. Thanks for sharing!

25. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

you couldn't have quoted my emotions any better upon opening this thread and viewing those pictures...........i couldn't have said it better.

kev, you're a madman......way over-the-top impressed over here.

26. JimSibley

JimSibley

That is way cooool. Oh yea so is the car. Man I would love to just tour your lil shop some day.

27. Nice little picture how to, and also nice to have all those parts come together for a period looking car. I like what your doing over there, thanks for taking the pictures and posting them.

1940Willys likes this.
  28. Damn, willys are so killer. By the way that garage you got is kick ass. Good work the willys looks tough.

29. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i keep coming back to this thread!

it is so cool on so many levels!