Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Narrowing wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Who does narrowing of aluminum wheels? I have a set that is 6 inches wide and would like to get them down to 4 or 3.5.

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric Vaughn in SoCal somewhere.

Chris

3. Mark T

Mark T

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lonnie Gilbertson, Portland Or.
    PM Marty Strode, he will hook you up.

5. Unless they are super rare why go to the expense of shipping them off and having them narrowed?

Why not sell them and purchase what you need? HRP

dana barlow and da34guy like this.
  6. X2 what HRP said

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Assuming these are five spokes, the sizes you want are a dime a dozen new, virtually all the companies making five spokes right now offer the skinnies. In the meantime, proper 1960's era 2" backspacing 15x6 are hard to find, and the guys like me that are building period cars are on the hunt for them. Please dont ruin a pair of scarce vintage wheels to make something that you can just buy from 1800summit.
    I am on the hunt for two pairs, a pair of 2" bs 15x6, 5" on 5 for my t bucket, and a pair of 14x6, 5 on 4.5 for the front of my falcon.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Speedway actually has 15x4 ET Vintage V's on sale right now for $489 a pair. I am making some assumptions here, but if the look you are after is mid sixties American magnesium front runners, these wheels will look more like them than a set of hacked up 15x6's, the spoke profile On the ET's is bang on for the sixties magnesium front runners. Theres even a HAMBer (bad penny??) that has the ET's on the front of his '32, so you can see what they look like.

9. verde742

verde742

Eric is in Monrovia , Cal.

10. indyjps

indyjps

11. Thank you all for your info. This will help in a big way

12. Only problem there for me is those are made in China...

13. Hasn't been too many years that I would have sand them here. But it is hard for me to get to the equipment necessary these days.

Falcon George is correct don't ruin vintage wheels if that is what they are buy some copies and leave the good stuff for those who are hunting.

Now if they are new Ansens (repops) then I say go for it I think the narrowest you can buy now is 5"

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

well, if you are going to A) be online B) buy ANY appliances C) build a hot rod D) drive anywhere or E) leave your home, at some point you are just going to have to get over that...;)
    remember in the eighties, when we, as North Americans, decided that manufacturing things was so passe, and beneath our dignity, and we would get the third world to do the dirty work, while we based our economy on financial speculation?? Well, now we get to reap what we have sown...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015