Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrow width bucket seats! What did you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, Jan 2, 2005.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

OK Gang, I know we have had threads on seats, and I've searched and read all that I can find, so bear with me here.

I'm interested in bucket seats, as the project that I'm building (which I have'nt told you guys about yet, I will...) has the drivetrain up into the center of the car high enough that the trans / driveshaft tunnels are 10" above the floor.

So I need a pair of bucket seats that are 18" wide or narrower.

What have you used that are this wide?

2. skipstitch

skipstitch

Hey Glen, check out late model import cars. '97 or '98 Honda's have narrow bucket seats. The headrests can be easily removed and the foam can be shaped with a grinder w/ 40 grit sand paper to take the "new car funk" away.

3. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea honda seats are preety narrow. allso look at hondas luxury brother acura any year integra have some cool looking seats and there preety deep buckets with nice bolsters. allso a civic si bucket is cool best year would be 88-91. or some old datsun seats would be neat too

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Model A has VW Scrocco seats which are 20 inches at the widest point.

The Stude has 95 Toyota Celica which are also 20 inches. The 'Yoda seats look like you could carve an inch of foam off each side and be OK.

What is the "feel" of this car? Race car? kustom? period?

Kirkey makes some drag race seats that are that narrow, but they would look gay in say, a whitewalled, flathead roadster...

BTW, I measured my ass and it's about 17...

-Abone.

5. Rear buckets out of a late 80s Pontiac Transtar/Chevy Lumina wedge-nosed van are about that width--I know cause I bought five of em last week. I'd measure them for ya but they're at the shop and I'm not [​IMG]....I'll pm ya measurements tomorrow if I don't forget [​IMG]

These seats are short-backed, come in cloth and leather versions, without headrests, the backs fold flat forward and lock, AND they have cupholders molded into the backs [​IMG] [​IMG] Only thing funky is the mounts, as they clip into the floor(removable)
    I paid about ten bucks each for NICE ones

mid-tenn mike

6. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Holy shit my ass is wider than 18"!!!!

I am using 64 Tbird buckets in my A.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Skipstitch: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll head for the salvage yard and check 'em out.

Dirty31: I'll take a look at the Honda Civic's seats also, Thanks!

FlamedAbone.....I know what you mean, I also measured my ass and it's gonna be SNUG. Maybe it will feel like a Sports Car inside when I'm done [​IMG]

8. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

porsche 914, can not get much more narrow

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Try a pair of porche 914 seats.....remember them ugly cars?.or british healy,mgtc,mga, gt6 or..corbeau's.....nice and tiny.

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

I measured the width of some seats I have...

Fiat 850 Spider. 19 1/2"
    Fiat 600. 18 1/2"
    OTAS ( sold in Europe as the Lombardi GP ) . 18"
    The OTAS seat is a Fibreglass bucket that does not really look traditional.

If we can get enough known brands of seats and exactly how wide they are, we could move this thread to the Tech O Matic later...

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for the tip Mike!

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks Justin and Jeff !

Do you know of anywhere I can find the specifacations of the Porche 914 seats?

Glenn

13. Meester P

Meester P

A lot of guys over here go for MGB and they will fit in a PoP (Anglia) with an 8 in it. Don't know how easy it would be to find MGB seats over there but they are narrow.
    John

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey John, Good to hear from you, ...and Thanks for the TIP !
    I'll look into the MGB seats also.

Glenn

15. LOOK at PONTIAC FIERO SEATS.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Off hand I dont know where to gat porche 914 specs.....very small seat though.Now, without trying to be funny.....you may want to look at small airplane seats...I don't mean bomber WWII stuff(like that shit will fall into your lap! [​IMG])...but I have a few friends that have older piper cubs and such......start to snoop around a local airfield or talk to a plane owner.....you may be quite surprised.

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Uhh....on second thought....Don't "snoop" around local airstrips.....just ask a feller or two. [​IMG]

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ..Yea, I don't wanna be behind bars for the rest of my life ........

19. My RPU had Triumph seats in it. I think they were just under 18" wide. Sorry have no clue of the year or model.
    Clark

Attached Files:

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks Clark!

21. lakesmod

lakesmod

Try making them.

Attached Files:

22. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

In my 29 A sedan i used 32 Ford sedan seats cause i needed a seat to tilt forward to get in the back seat. I'm still not sure if i will keep them but their all i have so far but i will keep looking for the next 4 months when i tuck n roll gets done.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

BTTT for the Monday Morning crowd........

24. Rusty

Rusty

I use some out of a old bus but they dont recline. They are 17" wide

25. on my `28 tudor , i used mid 70's Honda Civic seats...i think they are about 17" wide , have a low back ( i think high back buckets look dorky in a rod) , have a small head rest that's easiely removed , recline , have about 6" of travel , and are easy to mount....and i think they look right in an old car, most people think they are original seats

hard to see in these pictures , but they fit nice

26. VW Beetle seats. I am not sure of the width of the older ones, but I know some folks here are VW nuts....

27. whizzerick

whizzerick

Moss Motors has reproduction MGB seats (complete, ready to bolt in) available in many colors with tasty piping around the edges... 1480$ a pair [​IMG] [​IMG] Quite nice though...

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I can't really help you Glenn, but The figerglass ones in my '34 look just like Shelby Cobras, they're really narrow and look very nice, but I bet they're expensive.
    Mine are like cheapies made by who knows what.

29. Clark, I think those are TR3 seats or thereabouts. TR3, 4 or GT6 might be a bit spendy, they're quite collectible. Spitfires are cheap and plentiful, and MGBs and Midgets are easy enough to find too.

If you can stand it, go wander around the Carlisle Import swap meet.

30. sodas38

sodas38

I've got some from a pontiac grand am, late model say 89-94ish?? They are about 18 inches at widest point, maybe check those out.