Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrow rear diff in Southern California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcrown, Aug 31, 2013.

1. rcrown

rcrown

Does any one have any recommendation on someone or a business that could narrow a 8.8 rear diff out of a mustang in Southern California? Would like to fit this under the 62 falcon. Thank you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't already have the axle, I have a 1991 Ranger 8.8 under my '60 Falcon. It did not need to be narrowed. The floor needed a little tweaking for the driveshaft, as the pinion is offset a little. The '60 drive shaft tunnel is tiny. Yours might be bigger.

3. rcrown

rcrown

Hello, thank you I may just consider this option, I do have the axle from a previous vehicle i parted. but doesnt mean i can sell this one and pick up a rangers unit. If you dont mind me asking what size of tires are you running under the car with that axle?

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Hoopers read ends....Sanfernado valley

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Using the Ranger rear end is better than the Mustang. You only have to shorten one side, then get a dupicate short axle, and you're set. Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. David Totten

David Totten

Sutton engineering la Habra Ca

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Currie Enterprises in Carona, CA, probably the best.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For now, 185/70-13. I even redrilled the flanges and drums for 4-lug, 'cause I'm weird like that. Picked one with 9" brakes, to clear the 13's.

Nope. 1990-1992 Ranger axles are 56-1/2" wide, which is 1/2" over stock, or 1/4" per side. An Explorer axle would need to be narrowed that way, as it is 59-1/2" wide.

The pinion snubber has to come off the body (for all 8.8's), and new spring perches have to go on. U-bolts and plates will have to be acquired to match the axle tube diameter, but that's the case with all 8.8's. On an early Falcon, the tunnel will need to be widened in the back half, using a non-centered-pinion 8.8. Axle was $150, 3.55:1, limited slip.

My car is 4" below stock ride height, so my extra tunnel mods have a lot to do with that.

9. Veach

Veach

You might be able to get one from Heidts cheaper as a matter of fact the email I sent you from them you can go from the front to the rear.MII rack sub-frame connectors and a 4 link out tear coil overs disc brakes 3rd member everything all as one big kit.But the beauty of it is you can do it in steps you don't have to buy the whole thing at one time.Take a look at it and go from there at least that's what I would do.But still remember there is no such thing as a bolt in kit no welding