Register now to get rid of these ads!

Name this flathead??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Dec 8, 2012.

1. kasultana

kasultana

Found this flathead and looking for some help with ID. I cannot see casting numbers on bellhousing or heads. Its a 24 stud but with dual pulleys. Owner says it came from Europe in the 40's as military surplus. I believe water holes inside are keystone shaped. Wondering if its a 99 and what it might be worth. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. .
    [​IMG] • UNIVERSAL CARRIER; Three of these small multi-purpose tracked vehicles can be seen in the debris field between the two sections of the wreck. Built by Vickers Armstrong. They were used as infantry support and were usually fitted with a 303 Bren light machine guns hence their nick name 'Bren Gun Carriers'. They were powered by Ford V8 engines and could reach speeds of 48km/h. They carried up to 5 persons

Might be for onre of these.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'd like to name it Freddy,.... Yep,... Freddy the Flatty

4. kasultana

kasultana

Freddy works for me...I think you are right might have come from machine above. It was in a crate since mid-40's. Interested if anyone has ever rebuilt one?

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

lol flathead fred , sounds like a winner , id find a car for it and run it , maybe a T bucket

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

No casting code on the bellhousing would certainly peg it a pre-'46 24 stud.
    Look on the intake deck and see if its raised or flat.
    Raised would pinpoint it as a '40 or '41.
    Also...long shot of course if its a military engine....look on the drivers side rear of the intake deck for a Ford number.

7. Heo2

Heo2

Here is one of my universal carrier engines.
    See the tubings where the oilpressure sender
    is on a regular car engine they are for full flow
    oilfilter and oilcooler.If that engine got it its
    possible its a carrier engine
    There are both Canadian, British, US,Australian built
    carriers. Some aussi carriers had Chevy engines
    but they blew up in no time

Attached Files:

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Engine is Canadian or US built, not British, and has enough oddities showing that it probably is indeed from military carrier or truck. I think the upswept exhaust likely means carrier...
    Pull a head and the intake, take some pics for ID. Also photograph the area at left top of bellhousing where oil fittings live...there might be interesting features there!

9. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks for the posts. Here's some more pictures. There's a block in cosmoline in one of the crates with the other engine. Looks like the block has never been used. Might offer some more clues. I couldn't get to the intake to take pictures. These are interesting pieces of history regardless.

Attached Files:

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmm...Carolina...is this a dennis Carpenter stash?? He has been cranking out engines from a parts stash, apparently Canadian stuff supplied to Indian Army from WWII.

11. kasultana

kasultana

Bruce no not his but im building a couple of 59a's right now and trying to learn all I can. May have a chance to acquire one of these but wanted to see what I could learn before hand. Not a lot of these out there so thanks for all the info.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...bellhousing, no 59, so prewar. Can't see well into those crate pics, but verify 24 stud: Look at the lower row of studs, count as on your motor in top pic as that is where all the differences 21 stud to 24 are. USA and Canadian engines for wwii were 24's, mostly 1942 type, England built 1937 type 21's but used mostly Canadian.
    Next...look at center VERTICAL row of water holes. Bottom hole is a trapezoid, usually if next hole is trapezoid block is a 221 (can be bored to 239), if that hole is round, probably a 239 with realdamnthick walls. This is likelier easier to spot than measuring bore up in that crate!
    Next...in general 1939-40 engines are flat all the way across top of block where manifold mounts, and pan rail has 2 freeze plugs on each side with bulges to match on sides of block. '41-2 and rest of war no freeze plugs or bulges, top of block has rough cast edges, machined area is a machined pad roughly same shape as manifold gasket.

13. kasultana

kasultana

Bruce thanks its 24 studs and 3 trapezoidal water holes. So I'm guessing '42s based on your notes. I've got the flathead bug now. Started my 1st one a few months ago 8BA out of '51 shoebox. Block was cracked badly so my initiation to the flathead club. Next 2 59a short blocks are in great shape and in rebuild mode for my 2 car projects. Have a 3rd 24 stud but earlier type with 3 round water holes and all cylinders previously sleeved. That motor also in great shape. That is waiting on me. I came across these and wondering if I should grab them for a rainy day as they seem pretty unique. Thanks for all your help on this.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You can't have too many...221's are good for at least a 255 build, and the early 239's are allegedly the thickest and strongest flatheads. Canadian stuff (if that's what it is...lots continues to emerge because they supplied the whole empire in WWII) is better marked than US, and you will eventually discover prefixes like C81A and C99 up front.

15. kasultana

kasultana

Today was the day after many months. Got the motors back at the shop. Will pull some heads and intakes tomorrow. Here's a pic of the stash in the light of day after a very long time in the storage trailer. 3 24 stud motors one in the crate, a NOS block in cosmoline and a 21 stud.

Attached Files:

16. 55chevy

55chevy

I would name him Porky, for porcupine. ;)