Register now to get rid of these ads!

Name my rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Nov 20, 2009.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Then if the land cruise has a removable front and rear.. then its not it. Are those the same as the FJ40? or is that a different model? Due to the size of it, it has to be some light weight truck or 4x4.. I guess once I am able to remove the wheels and look at the drums I will know if it has been redrilled

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Im thinkin 49-51 Merc

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

That is a dodge yoke..power wagon/4 wd pickup has 5 on 5.5 pattern...
    Gotta 55 dodge 2wd pickup at the shop. I will verify the yoke / number sequence monday am,
    Dave

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An FJ40 is a Land Cruiser. As far as I know the name Land Cruiser applies to all of the old FJ series.

Here is a FJ40 rear:
    [​IMG]
    The differential center section comes out, just like a 9", 8" etc., and it has a rear cover. Take both off and you can see right through the axle housing, and the "center" is not centered. Note wheel cylinder locations, and housing end configuration, too. Very different.

I believe that the Dodge Power Wagon had an offset differential too. If so, I guess that the long side could have been shortened.

I still contend that the brake backing plates look like Oldsmobile, even if the rest does not. Stumped, but still looking....

6. that is NOT a 1957 or up Ford rear end. It does not look anything close to a 8" or 9". Nor does it look like any of the 50's or 60's mopar rears I have. It has been a while since I have looked at an early 50's Ford car rear, but that may be the winner.

7. heavytlc

heavytlc

Not Landcruiser at all. Any Year. All cruiser axles have a round flange, and only the real early(pre64) rears were centered. I don't know of any import rears that ran a spicer style yoke, most of the odd suzuki/geo/kia stuff had a 4bolt flange that the 5.5x5 brake drums bolted to. I guess I can help narrow it down to what it is not.

8. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

LARDASS!Oh you mean the car. Sorry!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Spooky

Spooky

That' pretty good, I was going to name it Sin-Dee

11. cafekid

cafekid

its an olds rearend i have one at my shop right now..... the things are the heaviest rear i have ever seen

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

An update, finally got around to pulling the rims off and removing the break drums from the rearend. It has been redrilled from a 5 x 4.75 (chevy car pattern).

Still not sure what it is out of but I do know it was a GM product.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is just one that was lost to our collective memory and knowledge.