Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Name a used part you paid too much for but "just had to have"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belairbubble, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ALLISON

ALLISON

pontiac finned aluminum valley cover... looked for a long time and had to really "step up" when one finally came along... glad I did though, havent seen one for sale since
    [​IMG]

2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Pay too much? Yeah, only for everything.

I'll be sooooo good, saving my money to buy something, then go looking for it and pay waaaay too much. It's the way of life and I figure it helps somebody else with their projects.

Devin

3. donsz

donsz

I bought a Braden winch with PTO from a 1957 Chevy NAPCO truck, paid $350, very used and rusty. I'm re-building it now, but decided I probably will never use it on my NAPCO. Just had to have it. On the plus side I bought a 1965 348 Chevy motor I also may never use. But I think I really need that, it just feels right.
    don

4. That ^ ^ ^ is a damn good lookin' injun! [​IMG]

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Paid $750 for a Hilborn injector for a Chrysler. This is the early style with the tubes laying across each other in the valley, instead of the later ones that curve and stand straight up. It is nice, complete, and came with documentation from Hilborn in 1959. Now all I need is a running Hemi to put under it.

I know you guys understand...

6. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

I recently restored an old Schwinn bicycle for my daughter. Well needless to say, parts for that damn bicycle cost as much as parts for my Dodge. I ended up spending more restoring it than I would have buying her a good "driver" bicycle. Oh well, shit we do for our kids.

7. alumslot

alumslot

Had to have these 2x4 Calcustom 7" air filter covers. Paid too much but when you got to have it :) :)

Attached Files:

8. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

After polishing, I have over $500 invested in these. I'm going to use them when I switch the BBC in my coupe for a high-revving SBC.......

Attached Files:

9. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

nice!

10. boutlaw

boutlaw

I paid $900 for a MT crossram intake for the FE in my coupe, with linkage and distributor adapter. Just had to have it. I had a street cross ram back in the 60's on a Mopar and it was very reliable. Certainly proven not to be the best performance intake but it sure looks cool and has actually turned out to be very streetable. The thing cranks immediately whether cold or hot and works well in a lightweight car.

BOutlaw

11. paid $80 bucks for three used '66 Nova head light bezels when I was making about $180 a week. About a month later a guy comes by work with two cherry ones and sells them to me for $25.

12. williebill

williebill

Sorry I ran up your bid,aren't you glad I got out when I did?

13. Bwaaa Ha Ha Ha Haaaa!!!!!!

Now I've got coffee all over my keyboard. :D

14. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I paid 400 bucks for my "rarer than hen's teeth" NOS electric clock for my Falcon. It took me forever to cut the 2 1/2" hole in the freshly painted dash to install it.

But, I made up for it when I bought my year correct underdash A/C unit for 40 bucks.

Next, I just bought a rare, NOS radio delete plate that I am going to use for a face plate for a new radio and I'm going to cut a 3 1/2" hole in the middle of it.

15. theamcguy

theamcguy

Look at this way, you never paid too much for anything, you just bought it too early.

16. Not paid for in cash, but I once traded a BSA650 bike for a set of 427 Ford SK cylinder heads because I thought I just had to have them for my car. Only I never used them and traded them off for much less than I could have gotten for the bike. Now they would be worth more than the car I bought them for but who'd a thunk it?

17. This NOS magnesium Hilborn Timing Cover has cost me a lot building an engine to go behind it :D
    [​IMG]

18. JEM

JEM

Think I spent around $600 ten years ago to accumulate a set of '64 Country Sedan NOS tailgate weatherstripping, outer beltline window wiper/trim and inner felt. I'd do it again. Still don't have the little window-corner pieces or the three pieces of the bumper stone guard, if I could find even all the parts of a used one I'd make a mold.

Grilles and rear bumpers for the '64s can draw ridiculous money when really good. At one point I was watching NOS front hood-edge trim pull $500+ on the bay (I got a couple for $150-ish before the feeding frenzy started) and even clean used ones in the $250 range, it's reproduced now but I don't know how good the repros are.

Used parts? I spent real money on '63-64 wagon power window regulators, but they're rare as hen's teeth and worth at least what I paid. I've spent more than they were worth on various '64 Fairlane/Galaxie console pieces, and a bunch of trim mouldings that need more work than I thought they would.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  19. phukinartie

phukinartie

My Wife's Beaver

20. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Used tail light lenses pair for the 53'
    Cracked, edge chunks missing, hole inserts gone. $70
    But better then all the bad quality's PLUS opaque as hell that were on the car at the time.

21. Squablow

Squablow

Haha, I'm not surprised someone here was bidding against me! I think I put in a max bid of $221. Was getting nervous toward the end!

But it matches my other one perfectly, and I already had a S-551 with a really nice handle and shaft for parts, so I was ready to go big on it. Just like the thread says, I "just had to have it".

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

There was this dark haired little gal in Juarez Mex. one time, I was drunk.
    I assume she was used but at the time I just had to have it.

She stole my dam wallet.

23. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

A rusty Fiat Topolino body.

Its a big part and I spend the money I had set aside to upholster our 48 Chev truck, and now Im trying to learn how to do amateur upholstery before we head off to a rod run on boxing day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  24. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

A 4 port Hilborn and scoop that came off an early New Zealand dragster or funny car (guy cant remember which car it was on) that was originally used on a topless Corvette funny car owned by a Mike Boosin in 1969.

I also have a B&M megablower thats about 20 years old now and has never seen any fuel, and a magnesium 1071 thats sitting around.

25. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I had to have a factory 2x4 inline intake for a 413 RB Mopar off of e bay about 12 years ago. Still setting in my garage in the shipping box. But I still MIGHT use it one day......:)

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The time that I spent $200.00 on some mid 30`S Chris Craft parts.Motor,tranny and a couple of large boxes of chrome,brass and bronze parts.Mom and Dad had a fit.Kept saying WHY did I buy such a bunch of JUNK.
    Dad went with me to pick it up,and no sooner pulled out on the road than I got a BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL.Pulled over and stopped.The cop was a friend and he wanted to look over the goodies.The up shot was he purchased the whole pile for 2K on the spot.Dad like to have had heart failure right there.Mom or Dad never said a word about anything i ever bought again.Hehehehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

At a swap meet found a '37 Nash banjo steering wheel. I had never seen one and I had to have it. Paid $250 (down from $300). Got it home only to find out its keyed, not splined. A week later saw one go on eBay (I've had a daily search on eBay for 3 yrs up to that point) for $80. Now I just hangs on my shop wall...

28. EarlKann

EarlKann

$1,100 for a complete Edelbrock P600 TriPower for a Mopar 318 Poly. I'm sure that I'll spend too much for the matching finned valve covers when ever I can find them.

I don't even own a vehicle to put it on yet, but I'm looking.

[​IMG]

29. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

ImageUploadedByTJJ1358969480.760102.jpg

225 for a fuel pump block off

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. cartoon14

cartoon14

two doors connected to totally rusted out cab of a 61 unibody paid 300 for the hulk...door's were mostly there...just haaadd to have 'em