Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Name a used part you paid too much for but "just had to have"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belairbubble, Dec 18, 2012.

1. carbking

carbking

Off topic (too new) but a steering link for my GTO. One year, manual steering only. Looked for 3 years, made dozens of telephone calls, and paid $175. plus freight when I found it. It was the LAST part I needed to license the car.

And I had purchased THREE before that from supposedly reputable companies that were wrong. They took back the part, but I paid shipping both ways for their mistake!

Jon.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

paid $65.00 for an NOS 1961 Dodge Dart plastic tail light lens. it is about 5" x 2". I will not be buying the $450.00 NOS blue 1961 Dodge steering wheel from the same joker.

I'm a cheap bastard, I rarely overspend for anything, but I missed out on more than a few of these tail lights and finally just bid to win.

3. eddie1

eddie1

My 63 Chevy C-10 grille. I wanted it chrome instead of painted steel. You can buy a repro 64 for a $250.00 but I wanted to keep the 63 style. $900 to have repaired and chrome plated.
    Please, nobody tell my wife how much I paid. Plus she liked it painted.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. birdman42

birdman42

I paid $35.00 for a pair of 327 valve covers that have been in my closet for at least 4 years.

5. Crankhole

Crankhole

In '97, I picked up a set of muffler bearings for a water-cooled '64 VW for $45. Never saw one before, let alone a whole set. Still hangin' on my wall.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

about everything I buy it seems--40 parts, Rochester FI stuff,etc.

7. msalamanca

msalamanca

A flathead, guy gave me his word and I figured I would believe him.
    Big ole cracked flathead.
    Now going to be a Night Stand, the most expensive night stand in my neighborhood.

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Got about a grand in re-chroming my 64"s bumpers. Ouch!

9. Rob68

Rob68

Not quite an "paid to much for it" situation, but when I saw it/them I had to have it.
    Went to a U Pull It type yard for a distribution block for my break lines on my 58 F100. Bought the part for $10 and a box of new in bag parts, door seals and window rubbers for $60 more. I didnt need the parts as my truck was and still is not running but it was such a deal I had to get them. Most of it was stuff I needed but was planning on getting later when I had money. Priced them out later and it was about $600 worth of stuff. Made me happy.

Attached Files:

10. customrod48

customrod48

that would be just about every damn part I have ever purchased.........must be a desease.............

11. mj40's

mj40's

I just bought a dash pad for a 1st generation Nova for my 62 convertible. They are pretty rare being a factory option. Mine is a good driver quality one but small cracks and I had already bought new vinyl to cover it but just had to have one that was premo but wrong color. I guess I will be dying that blue or covering it or both to sell one to break even. That has never happened to me before, breaking even that is.

12. Paid a bit more than I wanted to for my edmunds intake. Found the carb and matching edmunds filters for Next to nothing though. Overall, did pretty damn good on the whole set up doing all the rebuilding and polishing myself.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My Riley 4 port.

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

my Real Rodder Rims

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Looks like the 1 star bandit struck again ^ ^ ^

16. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Custom ordered a MOON tank for my Harley. Ouch!

17. msalamanca

msalamanca

I think I need to go revisit the local pick a parts

18. These heads.

Attached Files:

19. barry wny

barry wny

20. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I recently paid $50.00 for a engine rebuilders tag off of a Model A engine block. The Tag was from "Nutt Motor Rebuilders" of Detroit. The reason I paid so much ,as My Dad worked for them,back in the 30's when they had just a 20X20 garage. Two mechanics would completly rebuild 2 Model A engines each day,including pulling and reinstalling the engine. The guy I bought the tag from did not want to part with it.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I paid $410 for a '64 Olds rear bumper to put on a car I bought for $850, but I NEEDED it.

Just paid $167 for an Appleton 112 spotlight that had been hacked off to make it into a dummy, and I would have went even higher if I had to, even though I bought it's brother, complete, for $15 at a local swap meet.

22. A 1933 Dodge four door body.

23. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

I had one of these in the early seventys, I got from somebody that worked for the gm tech center. I ran it for a while then passed it around to my friends. Got it cheap and sold it cheap, what are these worth now?

24. mustangdug

mustangdug

Bought a Paxton supercharger off eBay thinkig I'd use it on some project, It was supposed to be in good usable condition. Think it was off a stude. After I get it, it needs a total rebuild. 500.00 too much I paid and guy would take it back. Dummy
    :mad:

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It would easier to list the parts I DIDN'T pay too much for.........especially those I actually used........:)

Ray

26. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I paid way too much for a ROUGH 34 grille shell for garage wall art. Every time I look at it I think.......What were you thinking you dummy?

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I paid over 300 dollars for a accessory 36 Chevy car glove box door that has a clock and ash tray that will work in my 37 p/u,should have bought the first one I seen in the late 70s for 70 dollars but that seemed like a fortune for me since I could get running cars for less.

28. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Her name was Linda....

29. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

If you saw my chrome bill you would feel much much better.

As for used parts, can't find the ones I need! Good thing I'm not in a hurry :)

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got two sheds full of stuff that I bought for the 48 and never used but I could probably come out at a swap meet or on Ebay with a lot of those.

The one lately that I flat paid too much for but just had to have was the 28/30 Chevy frame I bought for my boat tail roadster and paid 200 for. To top that off I had to tow my boat trailer 65 miles to pick it up.

Sometimes Free isn't cheap. It cost me around 250 to go get the two flathead sixes that Rob over in Tacoma gave me a couple of years ago when I added up gas for close to 400 miles and two sit down meals for my wife and I but we had a great day of it.