Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailsheads, Nailheads, Nailsheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brahm, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Brahm

Brahm

I've got a line on a few nailheads, a couple 401's with trans for around 500$, and a couple 425s long block only for 850$ (with no accessories ect), are the 425s that hard to come by they justify the extra 350$ price tag (+ trans cost), or is this one wrecking yard just outline with the current value? I was hoping to hold out and find a 425 but didn't think it would cost so much more then a 401. I've come across a number of 401s in the 300-500 range, but this is the first pair of 425s. Since they will all need a rebuild is the 401 and 425 block the same meaning I can just bore out 401 to 425 or is it a different crank as well?

Thanks
    -Brahm

(oops spelling nailhead wrong in the title.. )

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. I paid 500.00 for a 401 with tranny and accessories. It's going to need some work .
    Zman can give you the low down on the finer details.

3. Brahm

Brahm

Thanks seesko! That seems in line with all the 401s I've been coming across, as far as zman.. heh.. If I harass that guy anymore he is going to send me a bill! hahaha.

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I would go for the 401 and tranny deal. Biggest wow factor is the way the Nailhead looks anyway. 401 has plenty of grunt. I got one in my '50 sedan delivery and I love it.

5. Oh I dunno, I think he likes talking about nailheads. I know the 425's are fairly rare but not sure what they are worth. You might search some other sites like Fee-bay or the Buick oriented web sites. Even on here you could do a search for 425 nailheads and see what they've sold for. Just my .02 clams

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

not enough difference to pay that much for the 425 over the 401 unless you need a specific code for a restoration. I also wouldn't bother trying to bore it out to 425. I'm a big fan of only boring when you have to. If you can get a complete 401 with ST400 and all the accessories for $500, jump on it.

7. I think a 401 will move whatever you put it in down the road with great ease.

8. hotrod8

hotrod8

back in the 60s i put a 55 nail head in a 40 ford pu ,,, man what a ride !!!!!!!!wisl i was smart enough to keep that one........

9. Brahm

Brahm

woo woo woo.. did somebody say something to the effect of "fast enough". That them there is some blasphemy! No such thing as fast enough!

Thanks for the responses, The guy with the 401s has 2 of them he wants 500 a piece for, so I'm not in a hurry and still a bit off from needing the motor, but if I come across a killer deal I sure wouldn't mind a new coffee table until I'm ready to mount it in the frame.

Speaking of searching hamb..http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401753&highlight=425+nailhead ...shot him off a pm in hopes he has a change of heart in regards to shipping!

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

11. Brahm

Brahm

Good call, when I last spoke to him he said he would be heading out this way.