Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nailhead trany adapter to early Ford trany

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Colton Bates, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

Does anyone have any info on using them, I just picked up a 364 and it came with a crager adapter to fit a early Ford transmission.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Did it also come with a flywheel?

3. Ihave one a offenhauser. it adapts a 322 buick to a flathead trans. uses the buick flywheel and a long style clutch.

4. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

Unfortunately no

5. mkubacak

mkubacak

6. Can you post the number on the Cragar adapter Please.

7. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Now all you need is an adapter for a flathead to some four-bolt transmission that won't break.

Early Ford heavy truck bellhousings pop up at swap meets, sometimes for 10 or 20 bucks. Then you can make a plate adapter to connect a stronger transmission.

8. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

9. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

How early of an transmission, is there any identifying information?

10. BJR

BJR

I wouldn't want a "Tranny":eek: adapted to anything I owned.:D:p

11. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

I'll bet good money a Nailhead--any Nailhead--could just grenade an early Ford transmission.

12. swifty

swifty

I'm running an Offy adapter from my 401 Nailhead to early Ford then an MEC adapter from early Ford to T5. Was your engine a manual or auto as you will need a spigot adapter for your crank to gearbox connection? Flywheel and adapter are both available from Russ Martin at Centerville or Bendtsens. Buicks of any size have lots of torque so you'll need a Muncie, Saginaw, WC T5 or similar to cope with that plus early Ford boxes are getting expensive and scarce due to the large traditional following.

ted kovacs likes this.
  13. Colton Bates

Colton Bates

Was automatic, I've been able to find a few good top loader early Ford transmissions just want a little insight.

14. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Search on the HAMB for "hogshead", or Google "flathead hogshead"; you'll find pictures and descriptions of intallations like yours. I've seen references to the applicable truck years of 48 to 53, but I think they go well back thru the 30s.

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Pictures of the truck bell housing, and the corresponding adapter to a later Ford transmission. You might be better off to sell your adapter, buy a new one for a transmission of your choice. images (8).jpeg md-401-2113-new-edit_937_general.jpg images (7).jpeg

16. 55willys

55willys

If you are looking for a bullet proof 4 speed transmission that fits a flathead and can be adapted to the nailhead use a T98 out of a ton and a half truck. This transmission is truly bullet proof and with a little work T19 guts out of a later transmission will fit. You end up with a fully synchro 4 speed with a 4:1 first gear.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  17. I have a hogs head and that adapter in my garage.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021