Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58sled, May 22, 2010.

1. 58sled

58sled

I've got a '64 425 nailhead and one of Tom T. mini starters. My problem is the the bindix gear is barely reaching the fly wheel (maybe a 1/4 inch of bite). the fly wheel has an off set and when i turn the fly wheel around it hits the engine block.

Also the bindix gear seems very tight to the fly wheel (it doesn't drop back very easily)

If I turn the fly wheel around where it hits the engine block. Can I space the fly wheel out from the crank?

BTW This is the second starter I got from Tom and the first did the same thing. He is a great guy and very helpful just thought I'd try some other suggestions

Attached Files:

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure you have the correct flywheel / starter ring gear???

3. 58sled

58sled

Well I'm not 100% sure on any of it. I really don't have any references.

Tom only makes starters for nailheads and the gear does fit the flywheel so....

BTW the first starter(which was exactly the same) did start the engine it just destroyed the starter gear after about 10 starts.

Attached Files:

4. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

well i know for personal experience that the nailheads with dynaflow trans take a much longer starter (i.e. the starter gear goes further into the block than the turbo hydromatic starters)

what trans do you have? which flywheel do you have?

sorry if that doesn't help or make sense

5. 58sled

58sled

I don't know witch trans the engine had originally but I'm pretty sure they didn't have dynaflows in '64. as far as I know it is the original fly wheel. (picture above)

I have a bendtsen transmission adapter bolted to a 700r4

BTW great looking riviera

6. mj40's

mj40's

I'm watching this post as well. I bought the Bendtsen kit and looking in the directions it states; All ’57 & up engines, make sure your flywheel is aligned on the crank correctly. They are balanced. Also ’64 & up will have to grind a small lip off their original flywheel so the crank adapter will bolt on flat. Stock flywheel is shown, but is the same alignment hole.
    Just wondering if you ground the lip off. I have two different fly wheels and one of them matches yours and the other looks the same but does not have the extra holes drilled around the three open areas. Also in the kit is a triangle plate and I'm not real certain where that bolts in the system. Photo is of the kit I bought.

Attached Files:

7. 58sled

58sled

Mine does not have that lip and I really dont remember it having it.

mj40's My kit is all unbolted right now but the triangle will bolt to the torque converter. so it basically goes
    engine crank
    fly wheel
    that heavy ass hub / crank adapter (that all screws together with the long allen bolts)
    the triangle (that screws to the hub with the short 12 point bolts)
    then the torque converter screws to the triangle

ALSO I recommend before you install your kit get the hub and triangle painted or powder coated. they will rust fast.

Thanks all keep it coming PLEASE

Attached Files:

8. mj40's

mj40's

The 65 Buick Rivera flywheel I just got does not have the lip as well. It hasn't been ground off but I can't tell if it was machined off either.

9. 58sled

58sled

Yeah mine is smooth and rounded on one side and just flat on the other