Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead short water pump and pulleys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Dec 13, 2005.

1. marq

marq

Ok guys i need to know what the short nailhead water pumps were from.I need years models ect.Also i will need to get the right pulleys as well so i also need to know if anyone has a spare set going cheap cheap...................Marq

2. marq

marq

bump

3. Canuck

Canuck

Far from a expert on the Nailhead engines, but this may be of some help:

Tall Blocks: 1957 -58 -- Short Pump
    1959-60 -- Long Pump
    1961-66 -- Short Pump

From a article in WebRodder.Com

I know my 66 425 has a short pump with 3 sheave pulleys. Would like to find a set of 2 sheave pulleys to fit, if not, I will cut the front sheave off to give fan belt clearance.

Good luck with your search.

4. marq

marq

thats bound to help..................thanks .........Marq

5. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

This is correct. However you need to be sure not to mix up the pre-59 and post 61 pulleys. The diameter of the crank pulley is different and will interfere with the pump pulley. Get a complete set from the same motor. Especially since you are so far away.

6. marq

marq

Marty start preparing my pulleys for me.I may be able to source a pump here .is the crank pulley the same?..............Marq

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's more than just two lengths on Nailhead waterpumps. The one on my 401 is a little over 6" from the timing cover seat to the fan flange and it's for a non-A/C car ('59-'61). The A/C pump for the same years ('59-'61) are about an inch shorter. My parts book lists 13 different waterpump part numbers for V-8 cars between 1955 - 1964 (my book ends at '64).

8. modelabrian

modelabrian

Marq-
    I have had good luck contacting Northwest Speed Equipment in Oregon. They have lots of Nailhead info and used parts. Their website in nwspeedequipment.com

9. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

There are several different part numbers for the same pump and some of the like the 57 have no provision for the heater hose. ( it went striaght to the radiator). I keep several pumps on the shelf and there are really only 4 different pumps. this does not include the difference between cast iron and aluminum which will have a different part no. also. When you get your pump give me a measurement from the gasket surface to the fan flange and I will match it up to a core motor in the yard and pull all the pulleys from the same car. This will insure proper fit.