Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead question ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, May 3, 2006.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

Are the exhaust manifolds interchangable? I have a 401 and wanna bolt older 322 manifolds on it. Thanks in advanced!

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I wouldn't suggest it. I've seen the opposite--'53-'56 heads with '57-'66 exhaust manifolds--but a manifold with small round openings going up against a head with larger, rectangular openings probably isn't the hot setup.

3. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

This may not be much help but this is what I've found. On the intake side the heads are the same, only difference being the width between them is wider on the 401. I also found this webite:
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/nailhead_interchange.html

which implies that the 401 and 364 exhaust mainfold will interchange but doesn't go into the 322. I know the block changed after the 322 but since the intake is the same other than the width it makes me think the heads may have remained the same dimensions. If your not in a hurry, in a few weeks I'll have my 322 fairly close to my buddys 401 and I'll take some measurments for you. Anyway thats a long explanation for a very unsolid answer, but maybe it will help somehow.