Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead problems......is it a piece of junk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ok i was working on some motor mounts today for my nailhead and took off the factory ones.....

when i removed the bottom bolt i was rained upon with water and antifreeze.....does this mean the water passages are cracked and the motor is shot?????[​IMG] [​IMG]

i might have to pull out the old y-block after all.....

2. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i really need an answer to this question soon....because if it is shot i need to get over to a friends house to grab my y-block...

I only have 3 more weeks until i have to say goodbye to all my cars for 9 months.....i want to get as much done as possible this weekend

3. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

The motor mounts (strange how we can call them motor mounts but are supposed to call them engines if they are not electric) bolt into the outside of the water jacket. If it were Chevy, only thing I have tons of experience with, I would say not a concern. Just use a good sealant and bolt them back on. I believe nail heads (too heavy no power) will be the same. Good luck

4. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    The motor mounts (strange how we can call them motor mounts but are supposed to call them engines if they are not electric) bolt into the outside of the water jacket. If it were Chevy, only thing I have tons of experience with, I would say not a concern. Just use a good sealant and bolt them back on. I believe nail heads (too heavy no power) will be the same. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

cool looking though

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

you're an idiot. nailheads are fucking torque monsters! put a stock dynaflow tranny behind one and they seem slow, but it's the pathetic transmission, not the engine. my two-tons-of-fun riv will smoke em off the line with a stock nailhead.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    .........will smoke em off the line with a stock nailhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

...as will my 401 / 4-speed, '55 Special. Life ain't all SBC's & SBF's son - there were a few other fine engines produced.

7. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

cool second time you have called me an idot how come they are no nail heads on the pro stock tour. Got one i have a little 57 chevy with a chevy engine. want too race???

no thought not

Attached Files:

8. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    .........will smoke em off the line with a stock nailhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

...as will my 401 / 4-speed, '55 Special. Life ain't all SBC's & SBF's son - there were a few other fine engines produced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said bbc were the only motor just said for the money and time nailheads are not that hoursepower friendly

9. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

by the way his is not junk

10. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

bradberry00, it souds like you have a crack through to the water jacket. Could be worse when it's hot. Good luck.

Hey hotrod, as far as nailheads go, if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand.
    Did you ever think that maybe the prostock guys are trying to save the nailheads and use the disposable BBC's for racing????

[​IMG]

11. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about those motors. But I think it would be nice if this post could stay on topic. The guy needs help. He doesn't need to hear an argument about who is better.

12. I'd say put some thread sealer on it and pressure test the block (Like at a radiator shop). Someone probably got a little over zealous cleaning out the threads.

Oh....HotRodsnGuns.....Be at the HAMB Drags. Bring your small block...I'm thinking ZMAN and a few others will bring the humble pie (You'll be eating a BIG slice).
    TV Tom and Pops Kennedy would definitely disagree with you.

13. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so are you guys just going to argue about how bad or good nailheads are all day.....who really cares.....it is kind of like the ford vs. chevy vs. dodge debate....it doesn't matter.....there will always be chevy guys, there will always be ford guys, and of course there will always be dodge guys

....get over it, they are all good and they are all bad.....some parts on one are better then the same parts on another......

so is my motor good enough to run??????

it will be pretty much bone stock...if that helps....

14. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh and thanks to the guys that actually took a stab at answering my question.....

15. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

the bolt hole goes through the engine block,?i would just get a allen head plug and locktight it and screw it in and you should have enough threads left over to use a shorter bolt to hold the mouint on the block, that would be my fix ,

16. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that might not be a bad idea......!!!

17. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

if i understood you correctly that is where the leak is from? the boss that is tapped into the block?i would just plug it why not if that is all that is wrong , hell that is a easy fix then,or locktigh sealer on a stud if you wanna do it that way then you would have one long fastener to hold your mount

18. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    you're an idiot. nailheads are fucking torque monsters! put a stock dynaflow tranny behind one and they seem slow, but it's the pathetic transmission, not the engine. my two-tons-of-fun riv will smoke em off the line with a stock nailhead.

[/ QUOTE ]i am a idoit, that has put together more engines than you have ever seer

19. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

bottem line is shut up until. you know more

20. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

bottom line is shut up unless u can help bradberry out. im with chevy seller. i would put some sealent on it and run a bolt or stud back in. did u check the oil for coolent? not to sure on how those motors are set up. but if its cracked it may be running into the oil pan at one point. or not. i would more then likley lean towards the stud rather then a allen and a bolt. but after u seal it i would pressure test the coolent system. just hook up your rad and hoses and plug any outlets. pump it to around 19psi. sounds like a lot of work to do for a motor that might not be good. but better to find out before the install then after.

Bryan

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    cool second time you have called me an idot how come they are no nail heads on the pro stock tour. Got one i have a little 57 chevy with a chevy engine. want too race???

no thought not

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes I do, and I know quite a few others that do. Where are you? I'm sure I know someone in your neck of the woods.

Oh and how come there is not a stock block in Pro Stock? GM Performance blocks don't count...

22. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it doesnt look like it is going into the oil....the oil looks a little dirty (just old oil) but not milky...(i think that is the tell tale sign of coolent in your oil??)

23. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

well milky would be moisture. u should drain the oil all the coolent will come out first is there is any so u have to watch it if there is any coolent your dip stick might not be able to reach it. or i could be backwards and coolent could sit on top but i though it sat below oil

24. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

first of all. that ASSHOLE who knows too much needs to shut his PIEHOLE,,,,wants to race a chevy AGAINST an old nailhead??? fuck....WTF? thats like me getting PETER NORTH to have a FUCKING contest against HIS dad with HIS MOM as the testing grounds...

apples and oranges JACK ASS...

nailheads(at least the early ones ive delt with) motor mount bolts screw directly into the water jacket area...

,,,it really sucks when yer fabbing up mounts,,,

and WHERE the FUCK do you get 4 MANUELS???? i only know one!

25. old beet

old beet

MEXICO???????????........OLDBEET

26. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

The oil will only look milky if the engine was run with the water in the oil. If it never ran then the water wouldn't get all mixed up and "frothy" in the oil.
    Can you run it at all? Or is it in "build" phase?

27. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Mexico...hahahahaha, manuel.
    -Crew

28. ray

ray
    from colorado

[ QUOTE ]
    bottem line is shut up until. you know more

[/ QUOTE ]

such profound advice, ever try following your own?

i graduated grade school many years ago, this petty "chevy is best" is tired and juvinile. you don't know wtf you are saying. and i could give a fuck less how many fucking smallblocks you've rebuilt, i'm sure MANUEL down at JASPER has built THOUSANDS of em, doesn't mean he knows shit from shinola any better than i do.

you obviously don't belong here, if you can't comprehend the attraction to POWERFUL old V-8 engines over belly button motors, you just ain't gonna GET what trad rodding is.

take your 57 chevy back over to the popular hot rodding board, that's where you belong. or just learn to follow your own advise and you might be fine.

just be fucking glad you didn't badmouth FORD 6 CYLINDERS!

29. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cant run it because it is in the build phase....going in my model a roadster...

plus i have no carb for it

this is gay....but i mocked up the motor mounts for it anyway yesterday.....hopefully it is ok

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Manuel.....Fawlty Towers.