Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nailhead piston help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old school rodder, Jul 4, 2020.

1. old school rodder

old school rodder

Got a buddy, currently non-HAMBer, trying to put a 401 nailhead together. He wants to find 9:1 or thereabouts pistons. Does anyone know if such pistons are available or are they custom order things? Interweb search hasn't yielded anything.

Thanks for the help.

2. bchctybob

bchctybob

Centerville Auto (California), Egge and Speedway offer inexpensive replacement pistons for nailheads but I think they are stock compression, 10.25:1. Most times those compression ratings are optimistic and they are really more like 9.75:1 but that may still be high for your buddy. To get a true 9:1 he will probably have to work with a custom piston supplier and provide them with accurate data on chamber volume, bore size, gasket thickness, etc.
    I would call Centerville, they are good guys to deal with and they specialize in nailhead Buicks.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

firstinsteele and hemihotrod66 like this.