Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead motor mount questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fraz, May 18, 2005.

1. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

When I got my 60 LeSabre the motor mounts were toast. After some headaches with the local auto parts stores I got a new set from Nappy, and put them in when I swapped in a 401. Just noticed that the car's doing the same thing it did when they were bad the 1st time. I checked em yesterday, sure enough, the driver's side mount has separated. The rubber has separated from the 2 steel parts.

If I step on the gas pretty quickly or just floor the car from a stoplight, the ol dynaflow tries to shift into Low or sometimes goes as far as trying to go into Reverse. I don't have the switch pitch hooked up cuz I'm guessing it'd be worse. 59-60 Buicks have unique motor mounts. If it was a 61-65 I wouldn't bother to ask, I can get those for pretty inexpensive, but they don't fit.

Only time I've really thrashed the car and power braked it and put serious stress on the mounts was at the HAMB drags '04 but I don't do that kind of stuff normally. They were fine at the drags and afterwards, till just recently.

Need some advice on making/getting a stronger mount for the drivers side, as that's the one that I'm assuming takes the abuse from the torque of the motor trying to split it apart, which is what has happened. I thought about doin the "put a piece of chain over the mount" thing but there's not much room up front where the mounts are located, and there's no place to put some bolts to hold the chain.

I sure could use some ideas guys.

2. I know there is a compant that will re-vulcanize the original mounts. I'd do a search over on the buick board, they would be the best resource. Also, it might help out a little bit if you hooked the up the SP. Something to do with torque.

3. you wouldn't have to put that chain or torque strap on the motor mount itself , you could put a strap between a bolt hole on the head/waterpump/block/whatever to frame to help keep the motor from rocking

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

BTTT for the evening crowd.

5. Can you put a bolt through the two metal pieces and the rubber? I am not familiar with the design, but that way you could rely on the bolt to hold the pieces together.

Or run a torque strap/chain. The engine torque is just more than the stock rubber mount can take.

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Tried the bolting together, they way they fit the car it was like having solid motor mounts, and the bolts broke, despite being grade 8s.

Going to have to figure out a torque strap/chain thing I guess. Will give me somethin to do tonight.

7. Green Goblin

Green Goblin

www.nwspeedequipment.com sells the Buick Nailhead motor mounts NEW for $35 a pair. Get a set of them and pitch the others.

Give it a minute......... I'm sure suedesled will be along shortly to confirm

8. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Pic on his site are for the newer 61-66 mounts. The bottom mounting hole on 59-60 mounts extend down past the rubber about 3/4" or so.

I'll PM Suedesled see what he says.

9. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

I only picture the mounts for the 61-66 for photo purposes but I do have the 57-60 mounts as well. But I would check your trans mount. If it is broken you will split the motor mount every time