Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead magneto ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Sep 14, 2006.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

I have a lead on a ronko magneto for a 322 nailhead. Will this work on my 401? And is this set-up streetable? or strickly race?

2. Not sure about the 322 to 401, but if the mag has built in advance you should be ok. If it doesn't I know it can be done. Visit Donzig.com these guys are Extremely helpful and Knowledgable. They can probably put in an advance and tell you if it will work on you 401. They also carry solid core wires, timing buzzers the whole deal. Great Guys, they helped me a ton.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It should be fine as all the distributors will swap...

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

Thanks! What about the timing advance like mentioned above?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not sure what/if there was advance on those magneto's. I'd probably get it anyway since I like the cool Nailhead stuff, but I'm pretty sure that it can be retrofitted as was mentioned. A quote about Buick dizzy's...
    Distributors
    Stock distributors are hard to beat. The '53-'63 models are the best in stock condition--the advance curve is fine, the same as '64-'66 dual-quad engines. Stock cam engines should have about 12 degrees initial, 30 degrees total at 2,000 rpm. Performance cams should have 12-15 degrees initial, 32-35 degrees total. These specifications don't include vacuum advance, but most stock vacuum advances work fine. All distributor parts from a Chevy are the same. Shim the distributor shaft if it's worn.