Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead is. Dead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vega1, Sep 5, 2013.

1. jackontheloose

jackontheloose

I've had a 364 for years and I thought the same thing too when I first got it. Then, an old man told me "They just run hot," so I quite worryin' about it. I once ran it 130-135 mph for three solid hours on a backwoods two-lane hiway w/o one single issue, nor after. It never overheated and runs great. It's true however that when at operating temp, it doesn't like to sit and idle in bumper to bumper traffic at which time I have to turn on the heater full-blast (in summer) to dump the extra heat.

2. jackontheloose

jackontheloose

One (2) final thought(s);

My '59 has a fan-clutch. Yours probably does, too. You may have a bad fan-clutch. With the engine hot, shut it down. If you can freely spin the fan, the fan-clutch is bad.

Furthermore; That temp (230?) will drop with the car in motion due to increased air-flow through the radiator. How far, can't say...but it might be enough to keep driving!

Good-luck. Def. try to keep that nail-head in there. They have waay more torque at lower rpm than a 350.

3. elba

elba

If it's not steamin it's not overheatin.

4. I think I read all the post's. It was asked and I did not see your answer? Did you check your radiator for exhaust gas's? As in a cracked head or block. Your over heating sure sounds like a cracked head.