Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead in a boat????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by calvinh, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dzus

Dzus

It's a totally different animal. It's smaller. That one looks like it has the iron heads and iron front cover (OMC). I don't have the dimensions in front of me, but it's roughly SBC size. I had an extra 64 300 4 bbl (11:1 comp) laying around and measured it to see if I could stick it in my chevy II and was surprised how close it was to a 283 that was in it. The 340 is a higher deck version of the 300 and is wider/taller. The 350 is the same deck height as the 340 but has completely different heads with a flipped valve layout, so different cam.
    If you're interested in the 300 google search 'sean etson 300'. A low buck build would be an AFB on the factory 4bbl intake, headers, HEI, and an Isky 270 cam. 200r4 would work.

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You need to turn the pistons 180 degrees and deal with the starter oil pump and the ignition also.

Back in the 60's we built a combination drag-ski boat for a customer with 2 455 Buicks in it.
    There were no left hand cams or starter conversions in those days so we had to do it the hard way with a steel billet and a set of reverse gears to keep the stock oil pump and ignition turning the original direction.

3. waltspuffer

waltspuffer

Yep I had one in a Hallet 18 foot ski boat...But heres my twin L88`s in another 18 foot Hallet....1200 HP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. calvinh

calvinh

The valley pan is accessible.

Than Sean Etson 300 is sick. I'm all for the low buck. I think I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. Can't beat it for $100.

5. rjohnson

rjohnson

If its an omc engine/drive it is a buick 300, the v8 version of a 225 v6. I used to have one in an old glastron boat. It was the best running boat i ever had! only 200 hp though

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bellhousing pattern is different. So a swap later is gonna be a PITA.

7. calvinh

calvinh

Does the 300 use the standard BOP bolt pattern and bellhousing design? I was told it was different.

8. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

IN THE EARLY 60,s THE EVINRUDE SPORTMAN BOAT HAD A 198 ODDFIRE ENGINE IN THEM. A CAST IRON BUICK V6 THAT BUICK CALLED A LITTLE NAILHEAD. I HAVE ONE IN MY 1952 WILLY ACE. RUNS GREAT. NOT A TIRE BURNER,BUT RUNS GOOD. SOUNDS LIKE A SPIT SIX CHEVY. THEY BOLT RIGHT TO GM TRANNYS

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No idea, I don't mess with them...

First off quit with the all caps, it's akin to yelling... Second, Buick did not call the v6 a little Nailhead, hell, they didn't call the Nailhead a Nailhead. The closest anyone got was calling the 215's pinheads. But if the distributor is not in the back it's not a Nailhead, period....

10. RatRoy

RatRoy

Easy now, I don't think Chevolet ever called the small block a "Mouse" motor or a big block a "Rat" motor either, but everybody else in the world did....:)

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You are correct sir, but the misinformation that people throw out there needs to be corrected... :p

12. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

If you go in on the internet to buick web site they called their v6 oddfire a nailhead. Sorry about that

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

to what buick site? Buick.com? There are chicks with dicks on the internet, that doesn't make it right. :eek:

14. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

V6 oddfire buick

15. RatRoy

RatRoy

Google Nailhead:
    Buick first generation of V8 lasted from 1953 through 1956. It was an OHV/pushrod engine like the then new Oldsmobile "Rocket V8" engine. This engine became known as the "Nailhead" for the unusual vertical position of its small-sized valves—which looked like nails.:)

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That isn't a site, I guess you don't get this whole internet thing. :eek: Now I do know they called the first v-6's "Fireball"
    Do you have the site? It'll say http://www. something...

17. Let's see now, Tommy Ivo did that about fifty years ago.
    That little green boat is cool.

18. RatRoy

RatRoy

I guess you don't get this internet search deal called "Google". Try it , you'll like it.....:)

19. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

This is getting pretty confusioning. Go to google type in v6 nailhead buick. When it comes up go to evinrude boats v6 buick and there will be a picture of there boat with a v6 oddfire buick nailhead engine in it

20. Dzus

Dzus

Yes, the Buick 300 has the same BOP bolt pattern just like the 340, 350 and the 225, 231, and 252 V6's.

The earlier 61-63 198 V6 and 215 V8 are what is different. Here's a Pic:

Attached Files:

• 215.jpg
      215.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  21. I have also heard that marine engines run in reverse as well. I think this was discussed hear on the HAMB in the past as well

22. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,As a past Marine Dealer ,,the only time Boat Motors are run reversed is in a Twin Engine situation ,,so the the two props run opposite from each other ,,to offset tourqe on the steering wheel ,,and don't rob water from each other ,,

23. thesupersized

thesupersized

that boat is amazing, i saw it on ebay a couple years ago i believe. I love the picture of it on the trailer behind his chevy...

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

The 'rover motor' was the based on the Buick aluminum block 215, the 300 is a cast iron block.

25. calvinh

calvinh

That's funny!

26. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Hadn't seen this thread yet, Lon...cool.

Who the hell would want to put a Nailhead in a boat or anything for that matter???:eek:

I bought my '65 Stevens for the 354 Hemi that was in it and the 55 Caddy wheels that were on the trailer with plans of chopping up and scrapping the hull and trailer. Once I got it home I had a change of plans!:D
    A few before and after pics...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I didn't have those pic's your holding out!

28. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010