Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead in a 49 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorolr, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lorolr

lorolr

I am considering buying a 49 ford car with no engine or transmission. I have a 401 nailhead that I could put in it. Does anyone make motor mounts or am I on my own?

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

that swap's been done many times...you may have to do a little searching for the proper mounts and adaptors - but those were made by several companies back in the 50s

3. 73RR

73RR

Yup, popular enough that Hurst made swap mounts back in the 60's.

4. In 1958 I was a farm kid who had worked long and hard to buy a '40 Ford deluxe 2 door. The engine was weak, so my older brother helped out by giving me a '57 nailhead and tranny. We made motor mounts,and made a rear sump oil pan to clear the axle. It was an easy swap,and that little Ford was a real sleeper. You should have no problem and I think it's great your not useing a 350 like everybody else. Best wishes and good luck from Canada. The 401 is a great engine. Bud

5. timothale

timothale

Ny nail head was tight to the steering gear in my old truck. The nail heads have the driver's side head closer to the firewall . It ran forever. I have a 401 0r 425 setting in the shop I plan on putting in my 41 chevy PU.