Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead ID ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Locomotive Breath, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

I finally brought my old '48 Federal home that I bought 2 years ago in Illinois. Someone transplanted a Buick Nailhead in it many years ago. I'm trying to figure out which engine it is. The casting # on the cylinder head is 1166349-8 and the front pulley has 4 grooves like maybe it was a truck or industrial engine to begin with. I'm not sure where to look for the casting # on the block. Can anybody help me with this one?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

could be a Loadmaster, 322 ci used in the late 50s chevy school busses. Look for a stamped number on the left side, top of the block on the head gasket surface, between the exhaust manifold tubes. Something like CA2 1xxxx

3. Look on the block, right at the edge of the vally pan. You should find the VIN as well as the engine code...unless it is an older nailhead, in wich case it is on the block between the two center exhaust ports on the passengers side (I think, it's been a while). What shape are the ports on the exhaust, and what are the measurements across the intake manifold bolts?

Squirrel types faster.

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Head casting number is 1954-1956 264 & 322

6. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Ok found the block # on the drivers side deck surface between the center cylinders. I think its a 322 but I don't see a match on the Buick casting number website. The intake casting # shows to be a '53-'55 322.

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

one book I have indicates it could be a 1954 engine, from a Century (series 60).

8. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Well whatever it came out of it sure runs good. :D The guy I bought it off of said he didn't think it would run. I know it hasn't ran in several years, and to tell the truth I didn't expect it to. I looked it over good, didn't see any external issues. The oil looked good, and it was right on the full mark. So I said what the hell, lets put a hot battery on it and see what happens. It turned right over with the key, didn't sound lumpy or uneven when turning over. So far so good. Then I checked for spark, good hot spark, didn't have to jack with the points or nothing. Now I'm beginning to think it's actually gonna run so I went ahead and lubed the distributor cam while I was there. Disconnected the fuel line going to the pump inlet, stuck it in a fuel jug, filled the carburetor bowl with fresh gas, and it cranked right up. The lifters were a little noisy for about 30 seconds, but then it settled down and ran really good. I ran it for about 5 minutes, and the longer it ran the better it sounded, about 50 lbs. of oil pressure too.

I appreciate everyone's help with the engine ID. I am quickly becoming a Nailhead fan.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    spiffy1937 likes this.
  9. buford26

buford26

Like stated previously it is a 322 from a 1954 Century. The stamped numbers are a better way to ID a nailhead as the casting numbers could be used across several years and engine sizes. Here is how to break down the engine serial number:

V = V8
    612,024 = sequence number, range for 1954 is 273,956 to 720,079
    6 = Series 60 (Century)

Buick often used I's for 1's and b's for 6's and 9's (and even E's for 3's). For 1942-1956 the last digit of the engine serial number is the car series. For 1941 and earlier, the first digit of the engine serial number is the car series. The V prefix started in 1953 with the new nailhead was not used once 1,000,000 was reached in 1955. For 1957 and later the engine serial number and car serial number are the same.

10. buford26

buford26

Also, the 264 doesn't have a harmonic balancer, just a pulley.

11. Noisy lifters on start-up is pretty much the norm for a Nailhead.
    Looks like you got a winner there. What are your plans for the truck?

That's pretty easy to do once you've run one.:D
    You are going to love the low end torque.

12. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Well, you guys certainly know your Nailheads, 322 it is. I drove the truck around on the property a little this afternoon. It took a few minutes to figure out which gears were where. It has a small GM 4 speed bolted to the engine, then someone made an adapter that connects it to the original large truck 5 speed. :eek:

I have not completely decided what I want to do with the truck yet, but its safe to say it will probably be Nailhead powered for awhile.

Youtube video attached

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T69vyZiQc-M?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>