Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead gurus please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MEDDLER1, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I am helping my brother in law with his new project,its a 55 buick special with a 322 nailhead.My question is the fuel pump,can i use a sbc fuel pump and just change armatures?has anyone ever tried this?The pump that came off the motor is the style that has the secondary vaccum pump for the wipers,im thinking we can get away with not having that and run a basic pump,but sourcing one is starting to not look so good.If i have too i will just run an electric one and block off the block,but im hopin to not do that.Any help is appreciated.thanks
    Tony

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you can find a fuel pump intended for a nailhead powered Chevy/GMC medium duty truck, it's just a basic pump with no vacuum pump appendage.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

try oldbuickparts.net i believe. they have rebuild kits and whole ones available. I think egge also has them. I'm pretty certain i got my rebuild kit from oldbuickparts.net. You can browse their online catalog or order one, wich is really just a photocopied stapled together thing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Kanter may have them too. Egge does have them.

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If you want a good answer I'd ask Doc over at www.v8buick.com

That guy seems to know everything, he's helped me out.

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

thanks guys mucho appreciated!!!!!

7. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

You can still keep your old fuel pump on there for display purposes, but I just bought a good electric fuel pump and mounted it to the frame back near the tank. You may also need a pressure regulator depending on pump pressure. Worked great and no worries.