Register now to get rid of these ads!

nailhead and weiand valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled01, Aug 3, 2007.

1. leadsled01

leadsled01

I purchased the ultra rare weiand valve covers for my nailhead(orginals because nobody repops them) from ebay about a year ago. I just got around to installing them last night. Problem is " the writing is facing the wrong way!wtf. You have to stand on top of the carb to read "weiand". No way to turn them around and mount to the other side because its just the same thing. I did a google search and looked at picks from Tommy Ivo's nailhead powered dragsters and his "weiand" covers are facing the correct way. Can anybody shed some light on this snafu?

2. try rotating 180 degrees....... not you, the valve covers

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yeah, it's pretty easy... or swap them side to side...

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

Of course I tried that. Same thing when swapped side to side. The 2 holes for mounting aren't centered and can only be mounted one way.

5. Tore

Tore

Maby its the Australian type where evrything is oppside down innside out.....

6. F&J

F&J

Maybe that's why they are ultra rare....nobody would buy them like that:eek:

7. F&J

F&J

You got me thinking that I've read something about upside-down name on a valve cover some years back. I wish I could remember more about it.

8. BJR

BJR

I was siding my house and got a bucket of nails like that. About half the heads were on the wrong end of the nail. Wuz really confused until we figured out they were for the other side of the house. Brian

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

I did a search and found a thread about the bowties being backwards on a set of M/T sbc covers. Supposedly purchased from Sears in the late 1960's and was built in Japan. Seems like some snafu when built, or a conterfeit casting. I think I remember the guys ebay member name (the guy I bought my covers from) and sent him an email, but have not gotten a reply as of yet. Anybody ever hear of unlicensed conterfeit products actually making it out to the public?

10. leadsled01

leadsled01

I just found out the guy I bought these VC ers from is no longer a registered e-bay member. I think I got the shaft! He used buickboneyard as an e-bay name. Anyone know him or know how I can contact him?

11. ...i had to draw it on paper, but it just seems logical that the valve cover is either 180 degrees off on the head, or 180 off on the the opposite head. follow me?

-marty

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just took a look at the valve covers on my 401. They LOOK to be symetrical, but I didn't take them off to try rotating them 180°. Just a thought, but did you try turning the original covers you had on the engine previously and see if they physicaly fit either way?

13. BJR

BJR

The 2 bolt holes that hold the cover to the head are not on center top to bottom so you cannot flip them end for end on the same side of the engine. Brian

14. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

If there aluminum why not fill and drill. Try and make them work, it'll look weird upon closer look, but if your engine is not exposed why not?
    Just a suggestion.

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Some one in Mexico made the finned covers with the Buick on the side, they were on ebay a year ago. They looked good. Old trannys melted down i would think.

16. belair

belair

Maybe you got two for the same side?

17. ray

ray
    from colorado

i have a stock valve cover sitting right by me, yes the holes are not centered!

i'll withhold comment on all the other ideas about what happened, they were just plain made wrong!

i (may) have a solution for ya though! instead of using bolts to fasten them, install studs in the head...offset studs, get some threaded rod and put a bend into them, then hold the valve covers down with some acorn nuts.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Post up a pic, I'd like to get a look at them.

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I DO remember something about this, but the details aren't clear at all. But it rings familiar that the Weiand valve covers could only be read from "across" the engine.

The all-thread solution is a great one, and should fix you up. It'll take some trial and error to get just the right offset.

-Brad

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've seen two pairs of Fenton valve covers for early Olds V8s (and Olds covers definitely only go on the head one way) that read upside down when installed. It made me glad that my set of Olds Fentons are of the no name variety.

21. leadsled01

leadsled01

Great idea!!! I will give it a try. Hambers rock! I was panicking and pissed off and didn't think of that.

22. leadsled01

leadsled01

I still can't figure out the damn picture thing. I hate computers. Thanks for all your help.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

24. leadsled01

leadsled01

I will e-mail them to you. I have tried the pic posting several times and can't make it work.

25. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

26. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Anyone seen a nailhead like this?

[​IMG]

27. leadsled01

leadsled01

I would think it has marine exhaust manifolds but I'm not positive.

28. BJR

BJR

There is no water crossover from the heads like a 322 nailhead. The upper hose comes from the intake manifold on this one, not the crossover. Very weird.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I do not believe that's a Nailhead, even though it has the valve covers. Look at the intake and the exhaust. the exhaust looks like there are two cylinders dumping in the center. the intake ports are angled and not horizontal. Maybe a Buick 300? Where's the distributor? I don't see it sticking up in the back...

30. BJR

BJR

If not a nailhead what other engine has horizontal valve cover mounting flanges on the heads? But the intake manifold does not sit flat on the heads like a real nailhead does. This one mounts on an angle like most other engines.