Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects MZKITY 49 Merc Bodgey Chopped Top Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radgirl, Aug 21, 2012.

1. radgirl

radgirl

I have to doors from my Customline I think you may call it a shoebox? I was going to see if I can make them fit. Again it's not a resto is get my baby back on the road and a lot nicer :)

2. yup , spinner , shoebox , customline are some of the polite names !
    Really enjoying watching your progress here .

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Never thought about the proportions much before I chopped it.
    Just figured how much chop I wanted , front and back.
    I made up plywood window templates for side windows and just chopped till they fit .

Couldn't afford the cost to cut,rework & re-chrome the stainless window trim, you see on the side so I just used plastic door edge guard from JC Whitney.

Attached Files:

4. I have a great side pic of my chopped next to Buggers stock Merc. Really shows the difference between the roof lines. I'll post it when i get home. Glad you're gonna finally check out the thread. I already added you to the list. Rikster has tons of pics if you don't find what you're looking for on my thread. I look at it all the time. As far as your doors go. I would look for some doors off a 4dr(all four),if you can't find a set of Coupe doors. They are really expensive.

5. BTW-I'm glad somebody put up a side pic of Jeff's Merc,cause the profile of his Merc is fantastic. Mine isn't "sloped" because I prefered it that way. It just happends to be the way Matt chose to do it. I like them both ways.

6. Here is the pic. I thought it would give some insite into stock vs chopped rear window location in conjuction with the trunk.

[​IMG]

7. redroaddog

redroaddog

great profile shot BoB really like the chop on yours!

8. radgirl

radgirl

9. radgirl

radgirl

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  10. jfrolka

jfrolka

JeffSled's merc shows a slight lip and is placed a lot closer to the trunk edge than yours and BadBob's.... thats what I am talking about.

Radgirl, I like where your window is, it is close to the trunk edge. looks great!!

Have you thought about Matranga side windows? This is from riksters site..

[​IMG]

11. Jeffs is nice alright, but there is as many ways do do it as there is chopped Mercs.
    Your opinion on the perfect spot for a window is noted but it's still only your opinion.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Mine and Bobs look pretty damn good to me and plenty of others. :D:D

12. radgirl

radgirl

Wow I like those windows if I can't do anything with mine. Ps what the heck are they off or where can I get some. Oh and my window is pretty close to trunk lid.

13. radgirl

radgirl

I have had no choice with windows as they were really butchered. I have just made a template made some measurements and made them equal. I will check out JC Whitney as I have no rubbers or trims I just had bondo and urethayne hahaha

14. radgirl

radgirl

Damn shit poo! Just looked at the Matranga Merc wow but all custom made.....:eek: dunno if I'm that clever. Someone should just sell me windows trims And frame as a kit ;)

15. Mojo

Mojo

If they did it, then so can you. I've seen pics of a clone, it was just c-channel that was pie-cut every half inch or so, bent, and then rewelded. Tedious, but do-able.

16. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Find someone who is good at welding thin stainless steel for polished brite work or weld some up from low carbon steel body metal & have them chrome plated. It's a lot of work but they do look good. A person can get the materials and fab the parts ready for welding. At least a person can do most of the work that way. Glass & setting tape have to go in there after so a person has to plan them for all that plus fitting and fixing them or fabing the roll up & down mechanisms, weathersealing and all that stuff. Windows are always a big part of the customizers work when the lids are lowered down. It's usually the last hing done too. Get the car driveable then work the little details out as time permits.

17. Nice ride radgirl! Another approach to the Matranga style stainless might be to make matching inner and outer curved pieces and weld a "bridge" to them forming the 'c' channel.. Also a lot of welding, but would avoid the pie-cuts.. :eek:

-Dave

18. Just read the whole damn thread. Great stuff.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Million ways to skin a cat.. some like the old school look with the window toward the trunk others don't go with what you like..

20. Totally agree.
    There is no magic bullet to where it should go and what it should look like.
    The "stand back and look" approach is by far the best way.:D

21. radgirl

radgirl

Still smoothing out the roof and finally finished boxing in the Swiss Cheese chassis. But here's some more pic's.

The funny spilt picture is my first go at upholstering a seat. My fat ass getting in and out of my Dodge wore through so I replced the fabric with a Vinyl to see if I could. All I can say is thank you youtube :)

1736.jpg

1738.jpg

1784.jpg

1785.jpg

1786.jpg

1779.JPG

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!!! that frontend is smoooooth!!!

23. rustang

rustang

Comin' along great!

24. jfrolka

jfrolka

Dammmnnnn you got crazy on the front clip!!!

Chop is looking to be saved, keep goin

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I just looked in the album. You are not kidding about your chop.

26. radgirl

radgirl

FrankenMerc :)

27. jfrolka

jfrolka

Can you snap a pic of the bottom door hinge where it meets the rocker and floor?

28. radgirl

radgirl

Can do. I will go into work tomorrow (Sunday) and do some more on her before I go in for surgery. Build on hold for unknown amout of time. "Fuck you big C". I put in last roof panel above rear window tonight. Just some shaping and finish welding to frame a roof rear done. I will post a few photos but no judging shape I ran out of puff

29. radgirl

radgirl

Just having a quick look at some I have on hand kinda of the door hinge.

IMG_6154.jpg