Register now to get rid of these ads!

History MYTH...OR LEGEND? Jersey Devil found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive seen one of those in my life..scary shit man..almost ruined me for life. :eek::D

2. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Lefts and rights off the jetty...

3. Now back to the boat...

So they day is finally here... I get to meet this Jersey Devil.
    (Excuse the pics as I have yet to really get good pics.)

I arrived at my friends carriage house a few days ago to finally meet the "Devil". As I walked up to this old building with excitement, I had to squeeze past a large wooden sailboat and lots of mechanical goodies only to get deep inside the belly of the beast. As the lights flipped on, I remember the familiar smell of old dry wood, hint's of lacquer, putties, and gas.
    I had once been to this building years ago looking for old BSA parts for an old chopper I bought from my old friend Stretch. (Pics somewhere).

We kept the small talk to a minimum as my old friend was equally as excited to get me into the room where the Devil lay. Before I got to her, we stopped to look at two pieces recently painted for the fairing, the air scoops. I quickly noticed they were painted with a bright white, and not done to well. I stopped my friend and told him I would take over on the painting... for FREE! Perfect he exclaimed...done deal!

As we stepped into the room housing the Devil, I was immediately covered in cob webs. Cobwebs so deep in the corners that I could not bury myself deep enough to take pictures of what I saw. With a man at the bow and one at the stern, we removed its dark red, heavy vinyl cloak.

It was everything I dreamed it would be! No, ...no fangs, bat wings or a tail...

But a handmade Jersey speed skiff with a Flathead V8 60! " The Jersey Devil"

More story later... its gets good, actually, bad then good!

A good ole prison story, booze, deception, and a day where the Jersey Devil rides again!!!

I gotta go do some work.... check out some pics...

ENJOY! Still some story left...

Attached Files:

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Looks from the one pic it was last registered in 1990 something? That looks awesome! More story.

5. Nope... last registered in 66 if I remember correctly.

More story soon... gotta finish some stuff up first. Be back later...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Oh, the registration sticker in the one pic looked like it read 1990sih. Cool though. My interests have peaked, perfect rainy day story.

7. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

This is fuckin Ridiculous... are you that bored! LOL i ll swing by if you want.

8. Shoprag

Shoprag

Great, no more pausing for station idenification!!! I'm with slow and low more story lol!!!

9. Shoprag

Shoprag

pete u can't distract from the story, so you have to wait to go over until thread is finished!!! LOL!

10. Ok, I got one project done today. I'll finish the story real quick and get back to work a little later.

Be right back...

11. Ok, up until now, all facts have been straight. But this is where the info was told to me... and I still need to investigate.

I need to get more facts to tell it straight.

As you can see, there are some holes in the boat. Seems the boat laid outside on its homemade aluminum trailer for some years, registered but not driven. Seems the old gent that had been the last care taker was not able to get her in the water for use, but she sat in his yard ready to go. Hence the 66 registration.

A young man then came into the picture whom wanted the boat pretty badly. He would pester the owner on a regular basis to sell the old boat. Time after time the young man came back, time after time the care taker refused to sell it. Apparently, some words were shared, and a small fight ensued. The man was asked never to return after making some pretty evil threats.

Things seem to simmer down for awhile and the boat still lay outside the care takers home. That is until one night when the young man showed up in a booze induced state to seek revenge. All the neighbors were awoke as the man showed up one final time and took a hammer to the old skiff. The man was caught by the neighborhood and held till the coppers could arrive. What a terrible night for the poor Jersey Devil.

The caretaker was so disgusted, he put the boat away and had the large red cover made so he didn't have to look at it ever again. The Jersey Devil was put to sleep for 40 years.

Years later, my friend is the new caretaker. He has asked me to be the driver after the restoration has been completed. He wants to see this boat returned to the water, me as well.

My old pal has asked me to be the driver because he is about 6' 3''. Once again, thank GOD I'm am so small!!!

He also would like to sell the boat as he really can not enjoy it after the fun of a restoration is completed. So I am now trying to work out a deal to become the new care taker of the legendary, Jersey Devil!

Stay tuned for resto details, a few more stories, and some old long time sea faring friends that will help us get the ole girl back in the water.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha this is awsome... the pirate way, livin in a skatepark, old timers, and drag boats... crazy stuff!

13. VanHorton

VanHorton

that boat is sooo bad... A work of art, i can just imagine sittin in that thing staring out over the engine faring, all white knuckled...

14. More pics...

Attached Files:

15. OMG that boat rules!!!! i want it :D

16. Well little buddy, you'll get the chance if I own it.

Not Petey though...he made fun of my story, hahahaaaa.

I hope to trace all the numbers and find out this skiff's real history. I'll keep you all posted with my investigation. Thanks for listening, hahahaaa.

17. More pics...

Attached Files:

18. careyohio

careyohio

What a story !!!!!!!! What a boat !!!!!!!!!GREAT !!!!!!

19. More pics...

Attached Files:

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Wow Mel, thats awesome. I can't wait to be out fishing and see you rip ass right through all the fish. Can't wait to see it in person.

21. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

NO fricking way...... Haven't head that name since the late 80's.

mastering frotnside eggplants too I'm sure.

Jerome ..Turf Local

22. The Jersey Devils live at the Meadowlands Arena. They won the Cup a few times... Cool story man.

23. Ya know... I think fire and drowning are the only too things that scare me. See you at the bottom!

24. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Nice find. Just an FYI for you though... It's not a Jersey Skiff... That hull design is referred to as a 3 point HydroPlane, made famous by the Ventnor Boat Works. The one you have appears to be a 260 class hydro... The A.C.B.S. holds a few nice boat shows during the summer. There's one at Huddy Park in Toms River, then you have THE show... The Antique Raceboat Regatta in Clayton NY. That's where the pic below was taken...

THIS is a Jersey Speed Skiff... ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  25. Shoprag

Shoprag

That's awesome, looking forward to the sequal when the resto is done, LOL!
    Great find, a flatty with steel wheels keeps this thread on topic at the same time and it's front engine!!!

Pete you can head over now if you want. LOL!!!

Pssst... you may want to change those red wheels (looks around) some people in these parts don't care for red wheels.

26. junk fiend

junk fiend

that things to badass, did the kids that built it ever race it or did they just screw around in it?

27. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha dude piloting that thing would be insane... that would possibly make my life. Im not a very good swimmer though hahaha. I bet that thing would fly! Its gotta be pretty fast...

28. LabRat

LabRat

Great story , thanks for sharing .....
    Not only did you corrupt junior skaters , I see your now bending the minds of young rodders as well ....
    You deserve an award for bein the big brother that some never had .....
    Hang on , I now realize you have it ... The Jersey Devil .

29. 1320Paul

1320Paul

I've never been a huge boat guy but after reading this story and checking out the pics I'm hooked! Love that black and white stiped pilot seat too man........kick ass.

Paul

30. Man, your right. Thanks for that info. I've never been around racing boats before... besides viewing them going fast in the bay.

I have heard a hell of alot of stories bout skiffs though being from Jersey... but not since I was little have a seen one for some reason. The hull should have told me it was a hydro...duh.

It's sick, ... it's got my blood boiling. So, guess i'm into boats now!

Just got a number for a gent named Hans Mikitis, an old boat maker who is friends with my grandfather. I remember watching them build boats when I was small. Did a really neat job with my grandftaher on there fishing boat Blue Water.

I hope to get his help. Do you see all of the holes? We'll fix it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011