Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mystery Track Nose T Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by speters, Apr 19, 2018.

1. speters

speters

Back in September we struck a deal with Scott Williams and his brother of Swillco Speed Shop up in Minnesota on this amazing unfinished track nose T project. This car has been bouncing around Minnesota for the last 10-15 years. Before Scott and his brother had it Steve Laugtug of 313 Garage owned it for a bit. Steve narrowed the rear and built the wheels with plans to someday hit the salt with the car. (Steve currently uses his banger powered belly tank for that) Steve got the car from a local guy who had the car for year and supposedly had a local shop that put a flathead in it and did some questionable fab work that has since been removed. There are rumors that the aluminum panels and deck lid were fabricated by someone in the Pennsylvania area but no one knows who. The aluminum work is phenomenal and the frame rails are brand new but we have no idea what they are from. I will post more pictures later but I would love to know more history on the car if anyone out there knows about it at all. Thanks [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

swade41, BigO, catdad49 and 15 others like this.
  2. earlymopar

earlymopar

Flat-out gorgeous!

- EM

3. speters

speters

4. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, great looking car !

5. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Damn! That's one sweet ride.

6. speters

speters

After measuring up the nose dimensions I could not imagine cramming a heavy flathead in the nose of this thing so I started searching for other motor options that could be considered an era correct piece but unique. During a a visit to my engine builders shop I spotted a small aluminum head with dual overhead cams and a hemispherical combustion chamber and Alex what it was from. I was surprised when he said Alfa Romeo. I never knew anything about them so I started doing some research. Turns out Alfa used the same engine design from 1954 all the way to 1995 and the small aluminum 4 cylinder with side draft Webbers was capable of some respectable numbers for its size. I found a rebuilt engine with tons of work done to it ready to go with a 5 speed and jumped on the deal. Turns out it will be a perfect fit and the motor an trans weights less than 400 lbs. Plus it should put down about 175 hp and sound wild. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

8. Yippee!!!!!!!!.........just about jumped outa my skin when after reading and going thru all the pics of this great looking track roadster you show a pic of an Alfa engine............you see back in the late 1970's I was building a track roadster with a 1600 Alfa engine out of a Guilia Sprint GT...........great engines, however they are a PITA to mount as the engine & gearbox is not symmetrical with the sump offset and lower on one side and with the gearbox using that circular mount..........I ended up using Oz Holden 6 engine mounts with a tube inserted into one side of the Alfa gearbox mount hole and a plate on the other side then a bolt thru both, the plate then extended down to where a normal gearbox mount lived......ended up selling the car before finishing but that's another story but great to see an Alfa engine being used, theres a channelled Model A here in Oz, actually in the club I'm in, that originally ran an Alfa 4 now uses an Alfa V6 with the rear trans axle.....attached pic, its a neat car.........regards, andyd

Attached Files:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

DAMN! That's bad ass!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Saw this on Instagram a while back. Looking forward to seeing it come to life!

11. Saw this on IG as well, car is so well proportioned I like the direction you are going with the Alfa engine. I have a rusted out '76 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT that I have similar plans but instead use a '25 Chev roadster body.

12. Damn!
    I wanted to build that in the late 70's. Except I had a twin cam 1800 Fiat engine and 5 speed. The A frame, suspension and driveline all got sold to fund another project. :(
    I still feel remorse.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like it , this will be a cool ride

14. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Pure awesomeness!

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

Saw the car for sale at a few local swaps. It does have great proportions. I like your plans. I hope we find out who did the tin work!

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The Alfa is a good "Offiy-ish" choice, looks and value wise. If you have the pockets, GTA / racing engines can reach 300 hp these days and a screaming 8K+revs, easy. Gary

17. GN...interesting that you mention the "Offyish" looks, thats what I intended to have machined into the cam covers on the one I was using, even found a shop who could do it but life got in the way & sold the car unfinished..........andyd

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bummer-wah. Gary

19. speters

speters

I would have loved an Offy but it isn’t in the cards. I think we are going to inject some Italian sports car vibes into the car. Steal a few ideas from the Alfa F1 cars of the 50s [​IMG]

20. speters

speters

I really like the black coated pipe with the stainless shield. It might get halibrand style rocket solid wheels to give it the 50s Indy car vibe as well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

catdad49, loudbang and Tim like this.
  21. Very cool! What tires/size are these please? Excelsiors?

image.jpeg

Shadow Creek, kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  22. lake_harley

lake_harley

speters.....I really hope you'll continue posts and photos about your project. That car really has "the look". Inspirational stuff.

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  23. speters

speters

Coker bias ply look radial blackwall 760R15 AMERICAN CLASSIC BLACK

cactus1 and Shadow Creek like this.
  24. AmishMike

AmishMike

Agree with every one beautiful car, great proportions, nice engine choice. But what r your plans for use? R u adding rear suspension & putting on the street? Please keep it low with tiny headlights to maintain the same looks. Minimum aluminum interior would work on this car. Keep the Moon discs or solid Indy wheels; poverty caps & white walls take away speedway look.

25. speters

speters

Yes it is getting rear suspension and put on the street. The old front spring from our 40 Merc fits perfectly in the rear. The ladder bars will end up being short but we will make it work.

loudbang and Shadow Creek like this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice Sir.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. That's a good looking tire! Thanks for the response.

28. tjm73

tjm73

Wow. Very Cool.

loudbang likes this.
  29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stumbled on this car on IG, awhile back. It really is pretty awesome! It looks like the frame is just a modified A frame, no?

Definitely will enjoy seeing this come together. Really an awesome start with great proportions. Keep the posts coming! Neat build!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Wow. Looks like a Matt Suhr suspect ..... isn't he a Pennsylvanian ?? Is that a damned word in Pennsylvania ? Who knows .... bitch'n car though.

loudbang likes this.