Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery ticking in a SBC ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When (if) you pull the pan and oil pump, look at the plastic coupling sleeve on the shaft...is it there? (or was it what came apart, and made those shavings?)

I also like 31Vicky's synopsis: plastic teeth from timing gear. (seen MANY of those stripped at teardown!)

Once, I tore down a 350 and found 2 or 3 amber colored 'chunks' of medium-hard plastic.
    Beat my brains for a few minutes, then deduced they were parts of someone's plastic hammer that had been used to pound God-knows-what in the bottom end. (???)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. When it was still ticking...you could have pulled the distributor and spun the oil pump with a drill to see it it made the ticking noise without the engine running. Just an idea for the future.

3. That coupling is something like a comp 6/6 nylon, quite possibly the culprit.

I've found odd undamaged sheet metal screws, a glass marble and once the head of a main cap bolt in oil pans.

Bob

4. Since the noise was most audible at the dizzy cap I'd also be looking at that coupling too.

5. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yup , drove it all over today and never missed a beat , soooooo

Im gonna take the first option ;). Change the oil a few times , continue to beat on that small block like a red headed step child and then if she does go poof this summer , ill peel it out and stack up another small block with a little more go fast to it.