Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery door piece... where does this belong???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Mel

Mel

It all started a few weeks ago when I decided to pull apart my drivers door on the ’59 coronet moredoor to get to the bottom of this rattle I’ve had as long as I’ve owned this car. It started that I couldn’t get the door handles and window cranks off. Chrysler corp had outdone themselves again with a little clip that takes a whole lotta finesse and luck to get the handles off without gouging yourself with a screwdriver. :rolleyes: Well, a few weeks later and with lots of help from Abe, the little buggers (on this door only I might add) finally came off.

Then after removing the door panel I found one of the rattle culprits. Now, the question is, where does this go??? I’ve searched my manuals with no luck and I can’t seem to find any spot welds or holes that match up. What do you guys think? Custom window channel clip?!? Any help is appreciated. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. looks like the part I used up to hold your old window channel.

3. Squablow

Squablow

No shit on those door handles. Once you have one off to look at, it's easy enough to fab up a tool to take them off nice and easy. But it's nearly impossible to figure those bastards out if you don't know what the clip looks like or how it works.

I heard that bending the tip of a butterknife up makes a sweet handle removal tool. I used the lock bar that holds my garage door closed, it works great.

I've had lots of ForwardLooks apart and that clip doesn't look familiar to me. I would suggest pulling the opposite door panel off and matching it up to the guts of the other door. Now that you've mastered the art of handle removal, it should only take 10 minutes to have the other panel off and figure out where the clip goes.

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

No need to gouge yourself with a screwdriver. Have had this Mopar door handle remover for over 50 years.:) :D [​IMG]

5. lanechange70

lanechange70
    BANNED

Does it hold the felt strip across the top of the door? possibly

6. squirrel

squirrel

take the panel off the pass door, look to see where that part is over on the other side of the car....

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

You can get a door handle clip remover tool at any parts store for $5.

8. Mel

Mel

I've been looking for that door handle remover that 54 Merc has. Can't seem to find them anywhere. The standard tool doesn't work on this clip. It was a combination of a bent up butter knife and screwdriver that did the trick.

9. DUSTY13

DUSTY13

i have been trying to figure out them damn clips for like two days and by mistake i happen across this page with the butterknife tip......GOD I LOVE H.A.M.B thanks for the tips

10. The mistery part looks like the upper mount for your run channel. The run channel should bolt in at the bottom and slip into the clip at the top.

11. Mel

Mel

Thanks Tinbender! :)

Dusty- what you need to do is push the little clip in so it aligns with the hole in the handle. If you can work the clip back and forth it gets easier over time.