Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mystery custom stuff from BobK & elsewhere

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Squablow

Squablow

So I found out about the BobK auction from a post by Fargoguy (Thanks BTW, was the first I'd heard of it) and I spent about 2 weeks getting my money ready and bidding on a whole ton of stuff. My dad got me a loaner van and we packed it front to back and top to bottom with stuff that I had won, some really great bargains in here, but also some mystery items that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me ID.

20190611_181432.jpg

Some of the auction listing descriptions weren't very helpful. Anyone know what this is? Auction described it as "domed thing". I could imagine it as the helmet pod from some super cool race car, or it could be part of a water heater for all I know. Anyone remember it?

20190630_181122.jpg
    20190630_181133.jpg

And this, the curved piece looks vaguely like it's convertible/roadster related, but the chromed pieces look pretty industrial. I'd feel bad if I trashed this and it turned out to be some amazing rare part, but I'd also feel bad if I'm wasting shelf space on a collapsible hamper or something dumb like that.

20190630_181031.jpg

These bumper guards were cut down in height and very well metal finished but I have no idea what they were cut for, they are clearly a left and right. I did just recently get a big pile of stuff from another custom car/49-51 Mercury guy and I'm having a hard time keeping stuff straight so these may not have even been from BobK. The profile of them doesn't look like it'd fit a bumper, unless the bumper was really square and flat.

20190630_180607.jpg
    20190630_180617.jpg
    20190630_180629.jpg
    20190630_180717.jpg

Last thing I got for now is this grille guard, this definitely came from the Mercury guy and not Bob, but I have no idea what it came off of. Looks possibly aftermarket, but clearly not adjustable width. Anyone know?

20190630_181227.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on stuff that you got

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. The description of the domed thing was perfectly accurate.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. cool grabs there.....dome thing - maybe from an airplane - like radar type dome ?

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The dome thing is what you have out and ask every visitor what it is and keep track of the most ridiculous answers.
    Post them here.

7. O.K. I gave you guys 24 hours to figure out the dome thing and you failed so I have to enlighten you all. It's a prototype bicycle helmet without the suspension installed. Really obvious now, isn't it?

8. The domed thing looks to me like a curved surface to test different paints on.

Tman likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Related to his hand size I don't think so.

10. Maybe he has a big head or a small hand.....

11. Squablow

Squablow

I appreciate the responses.

@19Fordy I'm going to try to bolt those guards to my '51 Merc rear bumper, they sure do look like they have the right inside profile for it, although the upper bullet is quite a bit longer than the '51 guards I have now, could be a bullet from something else, but I think you are correct.

The "domed thing" as a paint test panel is very possible, the tape lines aren't that crisp which would make sense if it was just to test paints.