Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ??Mystery Crankshaft??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WobbleShaft, Oct 20, 2016.

1. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

A guy is cleaning out his dads garage and found it. He brought it to my shop to i.d. it. There are NO casting numbers or any other insignia. I'm a young machinist, so I haven't seen all the old stuff. His father used to work on studebakers. It kinda looks like IH to me. Interested in your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Flathead Ford or Mercury depending on the stroke.

3. George G

George G

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early pre-'49 Ford/Merc flathead, floating bearings, 3 3/4" stock stroke. Main and rod journal measurement would help ID correct year.

5. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

Ok, rod journals 2.138 and mains are 2.498 and my crude measure of stroke reveals 3.750". But my seal journal only measures 2.5" (has spiral oil groove)? And I guess what really threw me is that it only has one oil hole per rod journal? So I just assumed it was a 4 banger. Is it a early model, or was that standard and the new ones have two oil supplies?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The rod bearings 'float', as mentioned above. That means the bearing is free to rotate on both the crank and inside the rod big end journals. One wide rod bearing per journal accommodates both rods.

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  7. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

Huh, never knew that. I have never had one in my shop yet, or seen one apart up close. Mainly ag around here, very few rodders. Thanks for the education guys!

P.s. like your Buick ray. I have 50 hard top that is waiting for me.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D I like the Buick too......But with a '50 Hardtop you are closer to having one like that than I am! That is a photo from a guy around Chicago who had a nice collection of older Buicks. I admired it so much I kept a photo and decided it made a good avatar.

I have had, and have now, older Buicks, '38 and '41 models mostly....been a Buick fan since I was an adolescent.....and THAT was many years ago!:)

What are your plans with your '50?

Ray

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 2.138" rod journals came out for '46 production, so the crank is '46-'48 Ford or Mercury.

10. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Actually that rod journal diameter came out with Mercury in 1939. Ford got in in 1946. Both the 39 Merc and 46 Ford were 239 cube motors.

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're correct. Bogus info in one of my books, but I should have caught that. :oops:...:)

12. 53 ford

53 ford

The 39-40 crank had two flanges plus the flywheel flange. One for the thrust bearing, one for the labyrinth oil slinger.