Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery coupe quarters found in garage rafters at estate sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alienbaby17, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I stopped by an estate sale this morning. My first destination is ALWAYS the garage. After my initial assessment I started to really dig deep and look all over. That is when I saw some old sheetmetal tucked up into the rafters in the corner.

Much to my surprise the people running the estate sale were cool with me climbing up in the rafters to have a look and get them down. The woman working in the garage said a man yesterday had said they were off of a Model T. After getting them down and giving them a closer look I didn't think they were Model T. The seller said they wanted $20 for them and I thought that was fair. When she wrote me up for them I noticed she had decided to only charge me $5 for the pair- I didn't argue!

As I was loading them up into my truck I noticed a small group standing around them. I walked over and said that all of the stuff was sold. A man spoke up and said he was just telling everyone what they were for. I said I was eager to know. He said that they were off of a "1932 Ford". I laughed and said I didn't think so but if they were I just did really well!

After getting them home I posted a photo of them on FB and "Johnny Cliche" or "Ruiner" was able to pretty quickly suggest that he believed they were off a '26/27 Chrysler. After looking at some photos I think that seems like it could be accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The funny thing was that I found these in the garage of a house that was really nice, but old. I bet these have been in those garage rafters for 50 plus years. Pretty stoked to find them and save them from the scrapper.

2. I thought at first they were 30-31 Ford but on second look, I don't think they're Ford at all. Someone more familiar than myself will surely know.

3. Those quarters will make the start of a unique street rod.
    Nice score!

4. ............................I'm sure their thoughts are better than my guess.:) Nice find any way you look at it. Someone will need those.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if they were 32 Ford I bet they would have been $40.00 for the pair. 32 stuff is so expensive.

6. Possibly a 1928 Chevy.

Notice the up sweep in the deck former and the single belt line. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

the chunk of wood makes the Chevy suggestion sound even better. They sure look like it. Nice score!

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Ooh, HRP. I like that '28 Chevy suggestion.

"Ruiner" didn't have these same photos to go off when he made his suggestion. He did say that the passenger side would gave the 'golf club' door cut out on the Chrysler which mine clearly doesn't have.

Would be funny if it were a '28 Chevy. I've got a pair of cowls and doors for a '27 that I've had squirreled away for probably ten years.

9. I think they call that "winning the lottery" nice score!

10. 48stude

48stude

I'm just wondering what that guy said to the gal sittin' on his lap ? Bill :p

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Man, you guys are something! The HAMB needs a page for CSI fans. You know, something like Car Stuff Investigators. I don't think there's ever been a case that's never been solved!!
    Dom

Bubba1955 likes this.
  12. what's the address of the estate sale - cause I'd like to send the $15 you screwed them on....sounds fair huh?

13. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I'm sorry, either I'm missing the joke or you think I cheated this estate sale company somehow???

For the record the woman that worked for the estate sale company told me that they had been asking $20 for them yesterday without even knowing what they were or taking them down from the rafters. After I climbed up in the rafters and got them down I told her I would take them with no negotiation at all. Today, being the last day of the estate sale everything was half price. They were also really wheeling and dealing to get rid of everything and practically giving things away. I think they were just grateful for me to get them down out of the rafters and take away something they then wouldn't have to deal with or have hauled away. The fact that the woman employed by the estate sale decided to sell them for $5 was her decision. I never tried to low-ball her. I think she was just glad they were leaving.

I didn't "screw them" on anything.

I'm sorry if you were making a joke I didn't get. If you were serious give me a break.

14. They are '27 Chev quarter panels
    '28 roadsters between the trunk lid and fenders are fatter and the quarters tend to flare into the fender. What you have is more slab sided, indicating '27 Chev.

below two '28

Attached Files:

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think I know.

[​IMG]

Don

lothiandon1940 and Alienbaby17 like this.
  16. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

17. clem

clem

Nice start to a nice hot rod roadster ! I've already discussed with my kids what the stuff in the 'rafters' is worth, just to avoid these types of situations in case of an estate sale.

18. If we could score like that every weekend we could make a decent living!!

19. finn

finn

Five dollars on the last day of an estate sale is more than fair, having just administered my late mother's estate.

All you guys telling your kids what stuff is worth, I have news for you: It isn't worth that much. After you are gone, the job will be to simply get rid of the stuff and move on. Your heirs don't have time to maximize sale price. It's more important to just move on and close the estate. If you aren't going to use it, pass it on now to someone who wants it, or it will end up like the $5.00 quarters, or the next step, the scrap pile.

Congrats's to the op on a good save. Good deal all around.

Alienbaby17 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. [QUOTE="finn, post: 10536372, member: 11365"

All you guys telling your kids what stuff is worth, I have news for you: It isn't worth that much. After you are gone, the job will be to simply get rid of the stuff and move on. Your heirs don't have time to maximize sale price. It's more important to just move on and close the estate.

[/QUOTE].................................Sadly enough this is very true.

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

They were just talking about the first thing that popped up.

22. clem

clem

Thanks, Seems like you know more about the value of my stuff and more about my kids than even I do.

All you guys telling your kids what stuff is worth, I have news for you: It isn't worth that much. After you are gone, the job will be to simply get rid of the stuff and move on. Your heirs don't have time to maximize sale price. It's more important to just move on and close the estate. If you aren't going to use it, pass it on now to someone who wants it, or it will end up like the $5.00 quarters, or the next step, the scrap pile.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  23. oldolds

oldolds

This is the problem with hiring a company that is in "the estate sale" business. They usually know little about the things they are selling. Most I run across are young people trying to make a quick buck or two. An experienced auction firm (not estate seller) usually has a better advertising system and a following to call on and tell them what is there. I get phone calls from several auctioneers anytime there are old car parts at an auction. They also call the competition because it takes two.

24. R Pope

R Pope

Stuff like that is worth something if you have the time to wait for a number of potential buyers to come along. In an estate sale there isn't that luxury, you get what's quick and move on.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

All true.
    My friend's parents were collectors (or maybe hoarders), the type that went to auctions and bought large lots of stuff that they intended on selling for profit. The problem was that they never sold anything because their prices were too high.
    In the end, the dad passed away and the mom is in a nursing home. The kids just loaded 5 dumpsters with crap and threw it away. One truckload went to auction and brought less than $1000.

There's no such thing as paying too little at an auction, estate sale, or yard sale. If you stepped up to buy it, you're doing everybody a favor.

26. BWAAAAHAAAHAAAA!!!!

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Great score! It's crazy that you already had a couple of cowls and doors! Now that you are gonna build a '27 Chev roadster, sell me your F100! :)

28. Thing is I could post those on eBay for $100 for the pair and I bet it would take me a year to sell them. The right guy already has them now.

29. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Wanna quadruple your money? They'd go great with the '31 Chevy cowl I have in my "on deck" circle.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Great save! They look decent, and if you've already got a cowl and doors, you're set. A trunklid and a lower/upper deck panel will be easy to fab with a shrinker stretcher and a few bends on a brake. Estate sales are great fun, I always try to stop when I see one.