Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Carb..Stormberg -holley 97/94 hybrid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Stringy, Any info on rebuild parts/ Flow numbers or performance? Any pictures of the internals?

2. hillbilly,
    Just measured venturi size about 15/16". Holley 94 was .94" and Stromberg 97 was .97", so the venturi is similar! Read that the later holley's went up to 1 1/16". After a bit of a search it seems the Holley and Stromberg's flow in the 160 to 175 cfm range, no idea what the Marvel-Chebler flows.

I originally was going to cut gaskets but found a supply of nos gaskets (see picture) selling marine carby gaskets! Lighter springs for the enrichment circuit came from a local bolt supplier. Pump buckets are riveted on and leather, Quadrajet ones are the same size and I machined up new pump rods.

Performance; They have performed without any issues since 2009 and have spent the last 50 odd hours on top of a blower running 3psi, just had to lean off the idle mixture from running on the na manifold.

Any forensic types here that can descipher the old decal?

decal.jpg

gaskets.jpg

P1030873.jpg

P1030874.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The WWII engines are 99 (1939 intro) and 29 (1942-to end of war) 239 Canadian engines...59's are postwar.
    Before WWII, '39-42 here, I think Canada also made it to a very few '42 models though already at war and supplying Australia...only Mercs got the 239 as standard. They were available in big trucks and were put into a very few special order Fords, but were generally considered to be Merc engines in distinction from the Ford 221.
    Ford only discussed them by size/bore I think.
    The "9" in all those designations was used 2 ways in Fordspeak...it called out parts that fit only 239, AND it called out Mercury parts that differed from Ford.

4. von birch

von birch

i pride myself on my collection and "knowledge" of 94s and interest in anything 3-bolt...but ive never heard of these...good thing to start looking for now i guess

5. aicmax

aicmax

CarbKing, You know anything about a Marvel Shebler model 10-2928? Any rebuilders out there or part suppliers. Anything would be helpfull.

6. carbking

carbking

Aicmax - the Marvel-Schebler 10-2928 may be the number for the carburetor pictured in this thread. I have it in my database as a type N fitting 1934~1936 Ford V-8. There are no probably no parts available; and no commercial rebuilder that values his/her reputation will touch it.

These were sold originally to customers so frugal that they wouldn't buy a gasket set for the original carb!

Suggestion - replace it with the original, clean it up, and place it in your collection of aftermarket stuff that didn't work well.

And one other suggestion - before the "introduction police" on this forum see your first post, and start giving you static; please introduce yourself in the portion of the forum dedicated to introductions.

And WELCOME!

Jon.

7. Thomas Pitschinski

Thomas Pitschinski

Yes its look like my 10-3300 I bought a few weeks NOS from eBay-USA in an original box.
    I am located in Germany and have a 40 Ford Deluxe. This carburetor runs really better than the original Ford carburetor.

Attached Files:

Dago 88 likes this.
  8. SR100

SR100

All I can make out is:
    Division
    Borg-Warner Corp
    Michigan
    Reading between the lines, I assume that means Marvel-Schebler Division, Borg-Warner Corp. Flint, Michigan. Since they moved to Decatur, IL in 1948, that gives you a rough date of your carb's age.

9. sport fury

sport fury