Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery '32 Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I got this one out of upstate New York (Syracuse I think) about 6 years ago. It's got a long way to go but it does have the look with a 4 1/2" chop that needs work. The drip rails were shaved off and some 1/2" steel rod was welded in their place with a snow shovel full of mud added to make it look like a '33-34. I have some rough drip rails to try and fix that, too. The top looks funny in the picture because there are two '58 Ford sedan roof skins laying on top of it that I am going to use one to replace the flat piece of sheet metal welded in there now.

Attached Files:

2. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

all i want to to is hack the roof on my sedan now .... the dean moon sedan kicks ass . i just been collecting parts, saving money, and sitting watching my dream car in the garage wanting to do it right. Any more 40 s era sedan pics.

3. racerman

racerman

This is my favorite cover as well. That is my granddad Bob Rounthwaite in the Hawaiin shirt next to his #69 34 coupe. His car went 118 mph at the drags and 152 mph at the lakes. I'll give him a call and see what he knows about the blue car in the background. One of his buddies Don Montgomery is the author of many books and I'm sure he would have info on it. My 2nd favorite cover is Aug 90 Circle Track which features my pink #69 Dirt Modified. Our family is partial to #69.
    "Wild Bill" Floyd

4. Goldy

Goldy

I have to agree with Kevin Lee, it is not the first two offerings. It looks like a 32 to me with the A pillars leaned back but the picture is not clear. Possibly the Moon car, give a call to Moon Equipment Co. Ther is a fellow in the shop that used to work for Potvin when Moon took them over and he is still at Moon. Sorry I don't recall his name but he is one of the nicest guys you will ever talk to, and he will know if it is the Moon car. Goldy

5. alchemy

alchemy

Moon cars were yellow (except for that five-window). I doubt the cover-car tudor was the Moon tudor.

I would bet that the blue tudor is long gone. There were thousands of chopped tudors over the years. Heck, my Dad has three, maybe one of them is that cover-car? Probably not.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I was looking at the Medley/Smith Hot Rod History last night and saw a pic of the George Cerny tudor. It was a chopped highboy with a slanted post like the one in this post, and the caption said it ran at Bonneville in 53, IIRC.

But, it had a slightly set back engine with exhaust poking out the hood (not present on the Hot Rod cover) and flames (also not present on the Hot Rod cover).

Maybe it was modified over the 51-53 period? Anybody else have pics of the Cerny tudor?

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

The '32 Tudor that Moon raced was way before the era of the yellow Moon cars.

I found some more clues in this 2005 post from HotRodPrimer, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46243

"In 1951 Christensen & Williams ran a very chopped 32 ford sedan in B class with moon's only on the front wheels at the Russetta meet,,,their speed was 132.84.

And a interesting foot note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A couple of brothers were at the Russetta meet in the B class division in 1951,,,their speed was posted at 129.96 and were members of the car club "Hutters",,,,,,the owners of the car,,,, if you haven't figured it out was,,,MOON BROS.,,,,HRP"<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. I did... :Dhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260106286284

It's a '32... I can see the cowl/firewall line when looking at the real cover.
    If you look REAL close, you can see the roof isn't filled. You can just barely make out the top of the back quarter window through the top.

There's a really good article in there about hot rodding a flathead "60"... and another good one on chopping tops.

There's a whole article on the '34 and Bob Rounthwaite on pg. 25 and a center spread.
    Pretty cool car...

Glad I bought it...

JOE:cool:

9. alchemy

alchemy

I have read (I wasn't there) that the Moon tudor was two shades of yellow. Probably had the frame a little bit darker than the body, judging from B&W (not the ones shown above) pics. But.........maybe it was blue before that?

10. SimonSez

SimonSez

I am pretty sure there is a picture of it painted blue in the "Moon Equipped" book, but it's been a while since I read it.

11. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

The deuce sedan at VLV is currently owned by Squeek and raced at the Antique National drags in Palmdale. It is a definite survivor from the early days. It was an original drag race car of the SMOKERS who started Famoso Drag Strip way before they started the March Meet. Lavender was the club color and other club cars were also Lavender.

12. hemi

hemi

I always liked the black one in this picture...

Attached Files:

13. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Dean Moon ..side view.

CC

Attached Files:

14. funny i found this one and bunch more from49, 50 51 and at a swap 2 weeks a go $ 1 each.. theni got the magnifying glass out too

15. BluesHound

BluesHound

My dad bought a Deuce Tudor when I was six weeks old, needless to say I've always had a love for that car. These pictures get me excited, his all-steel and full-fendered car has freshly been chopped (bare-metal fresh) and I'm looking forward the father and son project of putting it all back together.

16. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

That sedan's chop is properly executed with the pillars leaning back.

RGV

17. BluesHound

BluesHound

To follow up with my last post, here's two shots of my dad's Tudor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. What did he use for the donor roof insert? Is that a 2" chop?

19. BluesHound

BluesHound

The donor was an AMC Eagle or Concord wagon, I forget which. (They might even be the same.)

Good eyes on the chop, the target was 2" and he got within 1/16" or so. I like '32 chops in the 2-3" range, enough to notice it but not so much that it's the only thing you notice. I'm also 6'3" so the windshield needed to stay high enough that the header panel isn't the only thing I see when I'm lucky enough to be behind the wheel.

20. I just got the Jan & Feb '50 Hot Rod mags in the mail, flicked through the Feb '50 issue and came across this pic of the Butkie & Corwin '32 sedan. If you look it still has the '32 radiator cap under the streamlined nose, so there is every possibility that there is a '32 shell hiding behind there somewhere.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 and Stogy like this.
  21. I found another pic of the Deuce Tudor of Don Corwin, the more pics I see of this Deuce the more I think it is the Mystery '32 on the cover of Oct. 1951 Hot Rod.

Sorry if this beating a dead horse.:(

Attached Files:

elgringo71 and Stogy like this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    I think that this one belonged to the Sandoval Brothers...

23. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Great cover shot, sinister it the right term or description for the look of that sedan pictured.

24. MsPearl

MsPearl

I believe you are right, the blue car on the cover of the October 1951 hot rod magazine is the Corwin deuce. It had a little harder chop that the Moon/ Cerny/ Sandoval Tudor. These posts state that both cars had a roof that had not been lengthened which gives them both a killer A pillar rake. BUT— also it can be a little funky if someone hasn’t V cut the lower pillar and raked it back to the same angle as the upper. In the case of Dean & Buzz Moon/Cerny car the A pillar looks like a dog leg.

The cover of that mag was probably shot in black and white then enhanced in color later. The chances that the enhanced shade is dead accurate are slim.

The Corwin deuce had a molded/shaved gutter and its front frame horns are removed with a stock, thick 32 axle.

The Moon Bros. / Cerny car had frame horns in the front with the passenger one sagging a lot more than the drivers side, a Dago axle with no front brakes and toward the end a large set back in the motor. This allowed for the 40 hood to sit at a 45 degree angle on the Tudor for that record 141mph pass in 1951.

I have seen photos of the Moon car gunmetal gray, gunmetal gray with yellow scallops, and of a much lighter shiny yellow color inside and out with Urich-Gibbs on the sides and a cool Lincoln dealership logo on the back.

25. 5window

5window

Nine years to respond. Cool!

26. MsPearl

MsPearl

Yeah! It took a long time to finally get the car—over 24 years!

Just Gary, Stogy and 5window like this.
  27. House13

House13

Wait… What car did you get…?!?

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@MsPearl is still active here so yes, nice bttt @House13

Welcome to the Hamb...;)

House13 likes this.
  29. Stogy