Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mysterious Oil fitting on Cadillac '59-'62 390 block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Sep 15, 2011.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Engine block casting numbers at the top rear of the block just behind the valley pan are 1469230. That leads to 390 according to this site...

http://www.elisanet.fi/jarisgarage/tech/tech.html

So how about that?

P.S.
    I didn't get the head numbers today, didn't think to. But I will the next time I'm at the shop.

2. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

i posted this on the 61-62 cadillac forum... I'll try to get some answers from the 390 gurus... lol

3. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

they're saying it's an oil line for the old cartridge style oil filter typically mounted up by the power steering pump. (earlier 390's)

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That can't be correct. There are two fittings for the oil filter canister on the front of the block. One on top just in front of the valley pan (directly under the filter near the temp sender) and one by the water pump.

[​IMG]

Basically the same as this diagram in the '59 factory shop manual...
    [​IMG]

It cannot be a line for the oil filter canister.

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

SOmeone mentioned earlier in this thread that the fitting is a vacuum port for windshield wipers so they operate at a constant speed instead of using a vacuum source on the intake manifold where the wipers would operate at different speeds depending on engine speed and vacuum.

Now, I'm really more concerened and curious about the exact engine ID based on the numbers. Its odd the second number is missing on the block. Here's the numbers on the block again...

Up front in front of the passenger side head...
    5 G021190

Engine block casting number at center rear of block behind the valley pan...

6. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

I can get one of them with a CLC manual look up the engine cast numbers for you... I'm at work, so I can't even see pics to see what the port looks like... I'll look at my car when I get home to see how the wipers are hooked and where the vacuum is

7. Correct. I checked again just now in good daylight and it definately is connected to a vacuum hose that goes to the wiper ports and the oil cannister lines go to the front & top of the engine as you posted.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

9. r8odecay

r8odecay

yeah, that small plug in the middle is a coolant drain for the block, one on each bank... Terd has an additional fitting back by the starter...

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got so wrapped up in getting the engine to run I forgot to check the heads.

12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

heads could well be 390 in either case. it was a common swap. I bought what I thought was a stock 57 365, used a set of heads from a later 390 on the rebuild and sold the heads to a guy for cheap thinking they were 365. he informed me later he'd run the numbers and they were 390 heads--doh.

13. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I also have an original 59 Caddy. The block has no such fitting or tube on the passenger side of the block. Hope you find out what the "mystery" tube goes to!

14. My 390 has the same hole in it. I think it may be going into the water jacket?

15. On second thought, it may be part of the oiling. Why it's there i cannot say. Where did the plumbing go from the port?

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I know this an old thread but still no reason not to add to it since I have taken knowledge from it.
    I have an early 365 Cadillac engine with no real history.
    I ran the stamped numbers which are 4X22375.
    I have a ’56 365 engine the “4X” represent the standard engines for ’56 series 60, 62 and 75 while the “4KX” would stand for A/C cars. The complete number represent the engine unit number.

Although my numbers say no a/c when pulling the crank pulleys which are a 3 groove set, it turned out that really it was a 2 groove set made from sheet metal and a third groove cup bolted into the center of the 2 groove pulley.
    The single groove pulley is a heavy sucker made from cast iron/steel and I am now told that this was part of an a/c option kit used by Dealers.

With respect to the outlets on the rear block near to the starter motor, I have discovered that the small line as previously mentioned is a vacuum line for wipers plus I have a larger connect point that looks like the size of a heater hose hook on point.
    I am reliably told that this was a delivery point for water to cool/heat the transmission of the era.

I intend to block both these connect points off and I am currently considering my option on how best to do this to achieve a nice clean and permanent result.

Pic's attached

Attached Files:

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody out there happen to have a copy or a link to a source of bolt torque settings for my 1956 Cadillac 365 engine, please?

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This comes from my 1959 edition of my Motors Auto Repair manual:
    Oil and vacuum pump repairs 1954-1958. The oil pump on these models is the same as past models EXCEPT for the addition of a vacuum pump, which is mounted to the bottom of the oil pump for windshield wiper operation. The vacuum pump is the vane type, and is driven by the oil pump through a hexagonal shaped drive key.
    It would seem that port IS for windshield wiper operation (seems odd to me however).
    As far as torque specs go, it's very limited. 1956-1959 Rods 40-45 lbs. mains 90-100 lbs. My manual does not list head bolt torque specs (???). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

warbird1 likes this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks Butch, yes it seems that it is not easy to find a fact sheet with all the usual bolt torque spec's in one chart, as you generally find with other makes.

So far I have yours above, plus;
    Head Bolts at 90/100 ftlbs
    Damper at 65/70 ftlbs
    Intake 25/30 ftlbs
    Exhaust 25/30 ftlbs

Still seeking Crank to Flex Plate and Tranny to Block if anybody knows or has a chart with everything covered.

20. BJR

BJR

Here is an explanation from a 1959 Motors Manual on the oil/vacuum pump. My question is where does the air go that the pump is sucking, into the oil pan?
    Cad vacuum pump.jpg

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

So if I wished to replace the oil pump with a unit that did not have a vacuum pump, does this first paragraph above mean that I should be looking for a 1953 oil pump???

Some guy on here somewhere I recall was saying he thought a 390 pump would fit, can anybody confirm either of these two suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  22. fatkoop

fatkoop

Its a connection for a vacuum line. The factory used this as a way to run the wipers off vacuum instead of 12V.