Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Glad to see these two projects happening, Eric. Having the shop will make things easy with your car projects.
    I won't be making it over your way this year as planned due to being just too darn busy at home but should be there next year. JW

daddio211, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’d say no to the work bay pit.
    Unless they have proper ventilation and lighting they can be dangerous.

Some places won’t allow them to be installed in a home setting when it comes to permitting or even insurance.

I’d much rather have the roof height for a good hoist.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. You're thinking of nasty old school, oil change pits. Not those. New old school.

My uncle has a badass home work pit. Cinder block building, 12 foot bays, & a metal roof. Used to work on big dump trucks, collector cars, whatever. Painter, fabricator, & mechanic. One of the best.

Ventilation isn't an issue. There's no difference 6' above the floor, on the floor or 6' below. Just breathe. Pits are for tool boxes & tools. No storage of chemicals & liquids. This is a home garage. It's a poor man's lift. Can't go up .. so go down.

Fluorescent wall lights have plenty of light. You have to see to work. Otherwise it's just a hole. No more dangerous than using a 6' ladder is. Be careful.

I like lifts .. but I love work bay pits. Garage pit, grease pit, car pit .. look it up. Lots of homeowner DIY projects out there. Lots of contractors too. Most are cinder block pits, because they're cheap & easy.

No insurance issues. Too many going in ! I'll attach some random pictures .. too tired to be specific .. but it'll surprise you. A regular rabbit hole of people putting pits in all over the country.

Didn't want to derail the thread. Apologies Daddio. Apologies Big Blue One.
    20200305_221100.jpg

20200305_221013.jpg

dana barlow, daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  4. daddio211

daddio211

I've really considered having a pit in the shop. Problem here is the water table is just too high - I'd be standing knee deep in water for a good part of the year!

5. And a GR8 place for everything ya don't want to fall into it will., been der done dat. Nooooooooooooooooo

Blue One and daddio211 like this.
  6. Saying farewell to my best bud, Eric after working on the Roadster. Would have liked to have had time to finish the job on the front end. :cool::cool: JW
    [​IMG]