Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks pipes!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking good. You ol' gold chainer you ;)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Thanks, I'll be watching for it.

4. daddio211

daddio211

Such a GORGEOUS day here, low 70's meant time to cruise with a bunch of buddies to a shop tour. Wife and son jumped in the '55 with me (the one for sale in my signature - shameless self promotion!) and we had a great morning.

uploadfromtaptalk1355016247582.jpg

Got home, jumped in the truck and went to get some parts out of Bob's way. Old A chassis, fuel tank, suspension pieces, etc.

uploadfromtaptalk1355016276572.jpg

He's spent some time this week figuring out spacing for the steering, master cylinder and brake pedal, and the mounts for the Power Glide. He has it all figured out now and will have everything welded up by next week, completing the K member.

uploadfromtaptalk1355016331428.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355016390351.jpg

Kramer, the rear kick up is 3". Sorry that took so long!

5. daddio211

daddio211

Whoops, sorry Kramer, the kick up info is for rjgideon. The kick is 3", and it has 3" frame rails. Hope that helps.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Just a small update today. Wife, kids and I went up to the hills to go sledding... I just wish lead was involved! ;)

On the way home we stopped by to see Bob and the Roadster. Poor Bob has been sick, and has also been very busy with tons of family in town.

He was able to make some progress though, and kept apologizing for not making more. Bob, you've been sick, no apologies!

The K member is in progress with the bushing mount for the brake pedal in place. Chances are slim that the Delron bushing Bob is making will wear out, but the whole assembly will be removable for maintenance if it does. If it weren't removable it'd be a nightmare to service!
    uploadfromtaptalk1356237537775.jpg
    These are the kind of thoughtful details Bob plans into every build that make a huge difference down the road.

And just a quick shot of how the rear of the K member will tie in to the rear rail...
    uploadfromtaptalk1356237561537.jpg

I also told Bob today that Victoria (my wife) is hoping to drive her Roadster to LARS this year. He's going to shoot for that, but is also trying to get his T (the red one in previous picture) completed and roadworthy for this summer.

No pressure on Bob for a deadline, and he understands, but if it happens that would be killer. Bob, Victoria and myself would rather have the car done RIGHT than FAST! :D

7. daddio211

daddio211

Oh, the master cylinder will be mounted about 12" behind the brake bushing. But I'm sure everyone knew that.

8. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Nice to see this as it has pumped me up to get back on my T.

Attached Files:

9. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man... now get on it and meet us at LARS! Why haven't I seen your car before? Do you have a build thread?

10. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Daddio, when I work on stuff, I can't seem to shoot some pics. Lame of me I guess .

Danny

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Take pics while engineering, measuring, welding...

Maybe if someone else was doing my engineering, measuring, welding...

Guess I'm kinda lame too. My wife works with me, and we still don't find time for pics!

Didn't mean to make this sound 'critical'...just can't find 'extra time'! Now, where'd I set that beer?

12. daddio211

daddio211

LOL Mike, if I had extra time I'd be building it myself. Of course my last full build took me 10 years. The entire build from start to finish will be on available on DVD in the near future. (sometime next summer?)

Bob actually shot almost an hour of video just showing what was wrong with the original chassis. I don't think the whole hour will make it on DVD, but suffice it to say the chassis was a cobbled mess.

I do have some updated photographs from this past weekend. I will try to get this thread updated sometime this evening.

13. daddio211

daddio211

Update from this past weekend.

Bob and his wife have been recovering from a nasty cold, but he still manages to plug along.

Both sides of the K member are now roughed in, and more importantly the MC, pedal and linkage are figured out. This puts the MC under the driver's seat, which is fine as the seat bottom will be easily removable.
    uploadfromtaptalk1357716291308.jpg

Here you can see the mechanism Bob built for the brake lever. I'm drawing a blank at the moment... bell crank? Did I get that right?
    uploadfromtaptalk1357716871713.jpg

Two bolts and the unit slides out for service.
    uploadfromtaptalk1357716975536.jpg

Not that the delron bushings he turned on his lathe will wear out, but if they do they're easy to service. A small service panel will be located on the driver's footwell to ease removal and servicing.

A shot of the other side of the bell crank...
    uploadfromtaptalk1357717128766.jpg

And a shot of the MC mount...
    uploadfromtaptalk1357717187802.jpg

C'mon LARS! Really hoping to drive this down the short 400 miles for the weekend!

14. daddio211

daddio211

Thank you sir. :p

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A lot more practical that mine... This looks like it will be a run ride...

16. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

all looks good so far,tell Bob to keep up the good work...!

17. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. The build really is simple and straight forward, nothing spectacular or groundbreaking to be seen here. Just my ideas and Bob's skills, but this thread is really more about what Bob is doing!

I'll admit, I do like my cars on the simple side. Easy to build but high quality craftsmanship, easy to fix on the road, and the ability to log LOTS of miles. Wait, I just described 99% of all HAMB members!

I can make it through just about anything by myself given time, and have good quality results (look up my disasterous wire wrap thread), but the one thing that eludes me completely is the ability to shape sheet metal. One day I'll buy enough tools to learn enough to take days to make something you guys could in minutes! The talent on this board blows me away!

18. classic L.B.

classic L.B.

[​IMG][​IMG] heres mine if the pic downloads...still revamping it

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. daddio211

daddio211

Can't see your pictures man, but feel free to post again. I hope to have an update in the next few days.

20. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Looking good man. Can't wait to see it wearing shoes and sitting on the ground!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. daddio211

daddio211

Me either man, and I love the track Roadster pic you sent!

Bob stopped by my house today for a visit. He has the TH350 mount done so next is the PowerGlide mount. Don't know if I mentioned it previously, but Bob is doing trans mounts for both types. If my PowerGlide takes a dump I'd rather throw my fresh TH350 in.

I may not make it down for GNRS. If not I'll be up at Bob's and take some pictures.

22. daddio211

daddio211

No updates this weekend, heading for GNRS.

23. Watching your build - and being in the planning/parts gathering stage of building an RPU - encouraged me to purchase Bob's two videos. Let me say - they are well worth the money for a novice builder like myself! I have built lots of things over the years, and have no problem fabricating parts... but some of the tools and techniques he details are WELL worth the minimal money he charges for the DVD's.

I highly recommend them.

Not affiliated in any way, just a satisfied customer.

FWIW,
    Brad

24. daddio211

daddio211

Brad, I'll pass along your words! He actually has a third video out now, but this thread isn't about that. His videos ARE time and money well spent, and if anything is unclear he welcomes calls and emails!

Got home from GNRS about an hour ago. Will get up to Bob's later this week to see progress and post updates.

25. Liking you car,i have really fallen for 26-27 Ts.My rpu came from Utah but not sure where.How long have you got till LARS ? Best of luck.JW

26. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks JW! I really dig your pickup, and LOVE the stock length bed on it! Not enough hot rods running 'em long! Father's Day is Sunday, June 16th. That's about 135 days from now, so I think Bob will make it!

I spoke with Bob yesterday, he's moving right along. Front cross member has been built (previously just a piece of 4" angle keeping everything from moving) and the front suspension will be moving to the build table today or tomorrow. I'll get up there and take some pics tomorrow or Saturday! :)

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Daddio, I'm wondering if this is related to your computer.
    It's pretty strange actually.
    Whenever I come into the last page of your thread a Windows Security box pops up.
    It says:
    The server 190.255.249.27 at ZXV10 W300 requires a username and password.

Even clicking to quote you and post this response pops up the security window.
    Clicking cancel on it makes it go away and doesn't affect anything else.

Your thread is the only place it happens, and only on this page. Bizarre. :)

28. daddio211

daddio211

Very interesting indeed. Ryan posted a little while ago that the servers were having some issues and he was working on it. I'll wait a few hours to see if it clears, if not I'll report it. Thanks man!

Heading up to Bob's in a little while. Will take and HOPEFULLY post pictures. :)

29. I`m getting the same thing here... Virus?:confused:

30. Me too, for the last few days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.