Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ah, gotcha. So it's an esthetic touch and not structural. Got it.

Ha! That's a disease with no known cure! Thank God for that!

2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Glad to hear you are gonna save the original body, looking forward to see the progress.

3. Also glad you are using the original body.JW :)

4. daddio211

daddio211

Indeed it is. I'm anal like that just like everyone else here, LOL.

After admitting defeat the beating wasn't as bad as I originally thought. I shouldn't have given up so easily.

Yeah, me too. Thanks fellas!

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll keep my eyes open for a cherry pair of doors for you, there was a pair of very nice ones up for grabs up here at our last swap meet.

I didn't grab them as I had already repaired my doors.

They may be at the next swap meet as things tend to show up numerous times if they aren't sold.

Let me know if you are interested and your price range.

Larry.

6. rjgideon

rjgideon

There was a pair on ebay that went for about $200 last week or the week before. I bought a banged up body for $250 just to get the doors and the subframe.

Of course, Howell's has new skins as well...

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not for model T open car doors they don't. You will find them listed on their website, but good luck getting them shipped to you.

Macs were selling them, they got their supply from Howells and finally gave up trying to sell them as they couldn't get them either.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. rjgideon

rjgideon

Hmm, I picked up their catalog at the Pate Swap Meet at Texas Motor Speedway back in April. The roadster door skins are in there and they said that they had most everything in stock for T, but I'll admit that I didn't hold one in my hand. Maybe if I see them again next April I will have to grab some skins if they have them in stock just to resell if nothing else.

9. daddio211

daddio211

10. rjgideon

rjgideon

Catalog says $115 each, a little spendy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. daddio211

daddio211

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think the 2 doors up here were $225 for the pair. I should have scooped them as they were fairly nice for original doors. With any luck I will see them again.

13. daddio211

daddio211

Not much new to report, sorry. Bob has been plugging away and working on details. The rear end had a few brackets that needed finishing, so those are now completed and the rear has a skim coat of filler on it. I don't have any pictures since I haven't been up there in a few weeks.

We made another small change that set us back a little. Rather than using red oxide primer we'll be using black. I'm no paint expert but those who are say red oxide under red paint gives a brown hue, something we don't want. A friend is supplying the material so we had to wait a few weeks for it. The paint and clear are on their way too.

For those interested, Bob has a new video coming out in a few weeks.

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm no expert either, but in my experience white primer will make the red pop. This is absolutely true when doing flames over black. The yellows seem to take on a green cast.

My $.02

15. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man. We discussed white as well but were afraid of the hue going pink. There's a little purple/pink to it already, and slightly darker would tone that down a bit. It IS the wife's car but she doesn't want pink.

I, however, love pink. :eek:

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

16. Blow some test panels to make sure. Wasting a little bit of primer and paint is better than doing the whole car and then going, "Ummmm, you know...."

17. alchemy

alchemy

In my (unprofessional) experience, if you can see the primer through your paint, you haven't put enough coats on.

18. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. Under serious consideration! Updates soon.

19. Eric, Bob should know this 1
    Get white sealer and tint it with a maroon toner, 2 coats, then blast yer maroon paint.
    Worked for me for over 45 years.
    Did it on this 1 and the depth was how should i say?
    WOW

Attached Files:

20. daddio211

daddio211

Victoria and I made it up to Bob's a few days ago. He's been working away on small details and finishing the rear end. It too is almost ready for paint.

1382236371729.jpg

The primer was delivered today, the paint should be here on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have something major to show next weekend. Fingers crossed!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

21. looking forward to seeing take shape, is that your body in the background ? JW

22. That is one of the smoothest rear ends I have ever seen, on a car I should say.

23. daddio211

daddio211

24. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Wow Eric! Great progress man! And ahem... I think you've seen my T body so u better not bloody quit!

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

26. daddio211

daddio211

Dude, to tackle your Tudor you must clank when you walk! Good luck with the re-certs!

Thanks Andy! I hope it's half as cool as your bitchin' roadster!

27. looking great! I love those older roadsters... - midus man (funny)

28. daddio211

daddio211

29. I'm always hangin out for your updates, too cool ! JW :)

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, daddio211, if anyone asks if you built it, deny, deny, deny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.