Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. x2. the period- perfect UK bucket & Capris rock

2. thanks for sharing, Steve, i enjoyed your trip, fantastic pictures, a nice collection of cars, and yours fit perfectly in!

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

6. Risky

Risky

You sir do some mighty fine work, a true automotive artist. Your build is one of the main reasons I joined the hamb I found ur build thru a google search about gassers been following ever since. Then I had to check out other builds and figured out what a great group of people. I just had to join in the fun myself. Anyhow I've said my piece and wasted enough space. Have a good one

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Risky, The hamb is an awesome place. full of knowledge, you are never to old to learn stuff, Also you won't find a nicer bunch of people.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just been ticking off the small jobs on my list, got the prop tube replaced with another piece but found a small problem when trying the end yokes in the tube, they were too big by a few thou :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yoke has a nice thick edge so could be turned down no problem, only problem was how to hold it in the lathe chuck :(
    Came up with the idea of boring a 5/8" hole in the centre of the yoke and making up a 5/8" mandrel to bolt into the yoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The various parts were tig welded together and the hole that was bored in the yoke was filled by turning up a small bung.

[​IMG]

The prop parts are all Strange Engineering so are good quality parts, All thats needed now is to get it balanced and painted and its another job off the list :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The list of jobs is getting much smaller but I needed a thermostat cover, couldn't buy one as they all go straight up and I need a right angled jobbie, Only thing for it was to make one, dived in the scrap bin and found a bit of 3/8" stainless plate, bit thicker than I wanted but It will do, I had some 1/4" but I hate leaky thermostat covers, the 3/8" won't bend and leak :D
    First job was to put in a 1.5" hole, a holesaw did the job perfectly, next drew around a gasket and roughed it out on the linisher.
    Then a quck polish and it was done. A stainless 1.5" bend was trimmed to get the outlet low and welded in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was all going really well and I then thought about the top hose, this is a little more challenging.
    I had to drop the MSD dizzy in to check clearances, this is where I found the cap hits the blower !!!
    I can get around this small problem with another plate under the blower to lift it sightly, but I'm hoping MSD will have a side entry blower cap which would save a fair bit of work.

[​IMG]

Anyway on with the top hose, a few 1.5" 90 degree bends and some straight bits were welded together and I had a top hose, it follows a bit of a torterous route as it has to go around the top blower pulley, just need to pickup some straight rubber hose and its done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned up some rings on the lathe and tig welded them onto the ends to stop the hoses from blowing off.

[​IMG]

11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I was there for the short lived revival.

Great job on there on the plumbing

12. farmer12

farmer12

Great plumbing skills Steve, love all the work you do!

13. afaulk

afaulk

Thanks for sharing, excellent pics. I've been told that somewhere in the misty recesses of the past my ancestors came to the "colonies" from Blackpool.:) Super job on the Willy's.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you don't care, Steve, but it bugs me that this thread is rated four stars. Just voted it five, hope it moves up soon. Maybe some yayhoos don't know that fiberglass is traditional, I don't know. Your skills are five star, that can't be disputed!

15. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

I'm looking at 5 stars now?!? You did it hahaha :D

16. .. not my fault, just threw in my five stars the first time i looked into this crazy man's thread (and stayed there for several hours!) ;)

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Eric, I need to stay ahead of all you young guns as your turning out nice stuff :D

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Appreciate you posting, I'm glad you like it.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude thats very kind of you although your right I don't really care, For me having other hotrodders like what i do is thanks enough for me.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Carsten, Do me a favour badger Eric into selling me the Cadillac hubcaps :D

21. Been following this since day one, its turned out fanastic, hope to see it in-the-flesh next year.

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind comments

23. ..i will try for you, Steve :D when he'll be here in Dec. i will shake him until the hubcaps fall out of his jacket .. (just a joke, Eric, don't you worry;))

some weeks ago i was a little too late on a set of these 57 sombreros, they were added in the chrome & flames mag over here, damn, i like 'em very much, too! but there's a lot of stuff around to mount on my car... let's see what Santa brings..

do you have any shots of the final engine in your Willys? i'm so curious what it will look like. think i'm starting wearing sunglasses while watching your pics because of all that perfect polished stainless.. just great!

24. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Looking great Steve. You gonna bring it down here when it,s done? Nothing like a 300 mile trip on the motorway with the blower drive screaming in your ears.Can,t wait to have a ride, I can can,t I?

25. ALS57

ALS57
    from London

Well done Steve, I wish I could work that quick, look forward to seeing it
    Al

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm trying to keep the weight down !!!

27. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Might be better if I took it down the strip for you then.

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You might not be used to all the power, you have only had Chevys before LMFAO

... .....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Al.

30. Always watching, but never "voted". 5 stars is as high as I could go, although a 10 seems more appropriate.