Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My willys build, start to finish in pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Well worth the effort Jim. You have a great talent and now a willys. A lace job would be beyond cool on that mean hot rod.;):)

loudbang likes this.
  2. You didn’t start with a car, you started with bits of rust and tetanus!!
    Just awesome !
    Willy’s is probably my favourite car on the planet! Always has been since I seen hot rod as a kid !!

Awesome work!

loudbang and JimSibley like this.
  3. Did you make these headers?
    They look really good!

IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1127.JPG

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great save! I'd love to see some construction pics of the body/roof being worked back into shape.

loudbang likes this.
  5. And most people seeing this car, will never know how many hours it took to build......
    But we do! ;)

loudbang likes this.
  6. JimSibley

JimSibley

Man, when you put it that way, it doesn’t seem that bad. To me it seems like I have been on this thing for ever!

Stogy, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. JimSibley

JimSibley

I will try to dig up some pics of the roof and quarter top repairs, those were the tricky fixes for sure.

Stogy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  8. JimSibley

JimSibley

Yes, the headers are home made .they really do look cool. I left them a little rough on purpose. I want it to look like an old drag car that someone built at home.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. JimSibley

JimSibley

C44032F6-53DC-4B64-A6ED-43B0C732C1C2.jpeg Sanded the whole car in 400 wet, one more time. That makes 4 rounds of block sanding. It ain’t perfect but it’s plenty good for a gasser. View attachment 3900100 the next pics should be with color on it.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim. headed to Spocompton for a golf tourney at Manito in a few weeks. Would love to drop by and see what is happenin.

loudbang likes this.
  11. JimSibley

JimSibley

Stop on by bandit billy. My shop number is 509-868-2746. Just call when you hit town.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have to drag a couple of non believers with me.

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  13. JimSibley

JimSibley

Well there’s plenty of junk to look at. I’m only about 5 minutes from the shop, I’ll give you all the 5 cent tour.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Over the years, I've had two occasions I could have had a "40's" Willys Coupe. One was in downtown Everett, in a vacant lot, next to a really run down apartment building that all the dredges of society lived at; it was a real dump. I told two friends about the Coupe, and they did't quite believe me, until one day they went and took a look. One of the residents of the apartments told them it was his, and sold it to them virtually nothing. It was just the body and doors, no frame or anything else. I then told them about a Willys PU Truck in the back of Ray's Auto Wrecking; body was shot but all they wanted was the frame. The other Coupe was another field/vacant lot where a small farm had been at one time; the roof was stomped in, and it was just the body and doors also. The property became new homes, and I have no idea what became of that Coupe. I look at what you started with, compare it to those two cars, and just kick myself; this was in the mid/late 60's to early 70's. But, I was always more into 56 Chevrolet's, imagine that! Good job you've done there!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Sand bent?

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

The headers are made of .095 tubing, so they bend without wrinkling. I bent them in a hausfeld tubing bender. The flanges and collectors are from a pair of old headers I had laying around.

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

42521919-C037-4142-947C-0D0577ACA584.jpeg 45751963-09F1-4D94-9758-FE53005CBB5C.jpeg Here is a few pics in color. I’m thinking of a little lace or panels maybe.

GordonC, kiwijeff, jeepster and 13 others like this.
  18. Looks great Jim!

loudbang and greaser like this.
  19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

First off great build. When you say you altered the axle exactly what did you have to do to it?. Or did you just ajust the spring holes or perches?.I have a 56 f-100 axle and would eventually love to build a willys I just didn't know if this axle would be too wide or narrow.

loudbang likes this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

487AC205-213A-41B5-AE51-A2F29115F8CF.jpeg Its starting to go back together. Looks good, but I’m still thinking about graphics or lace, maybe lettering and gold leaf

23. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim,

Your Willys looks fantastic! The idea of lettering sounds cool, but you could leave it like it is and it would be complete as well. I am sure that whatever you decide will make the car continue to stand out.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, any updates on your Willys? I would love to hear how it's coming along.

loudbang likes this.
  25. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have not had time to mess with it much lately, my
    Mom just died and I am trying to deal with all of that as well as just the typical summer activities. I am hoping to get back on the willys in the near future. Just needs put together and letteredand its all done. On to the next one.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, I am sorry to hear about your mom. Please accept my deepest condolences. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Steve

27. So very sorry to hear about your mother Jim. Wishing you and your family the best in this difficult time.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  28. Aww' man. Nothing helps to say here ..... just God bless you, and your Mom. Condolences to all of your family. Take care, sir.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  29. JimSibley

JimSibley

339EC0D0-6339-421B-B800-069C348E28FB.jpeg The Well, I’m finally back on the Willy’s. Just need to get the roll up windows in and make the outside door handles work. Moms death was a little rough on my motivation. Anyway, here it is in its current glory.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Belated Condolences to you and the family on the loss of you're Mother...

Glad that you are back at it and it does look really sharp.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.