Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My WIFES new project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Jan 22, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

ran into an issue with my doors. apparently the door striker is different from 51 to 53.... has anyone else installed a later model door on a early body? my body is a 51 but the doors are 53. right now the latch is only latching half way. looked at teh lmc truck catelog and noticed there is a difference in the strikers. will the 53 model stricker bolt up the the 51 body? need help on this badly so i can continue moving forward.

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

moving pass the doors for now we worked on the rear bumper getting it mounted today and welded up the driveshaft. all is good. 3-19-12

3. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Looking good for the timeline so far.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Lookin' good !!!
    Keep us in pics on progress...
    Cheers...........

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

you ask for them.... youve got them! here some more pictures for all you hamb fanatics. pictures of the rear bumper and bed is first. i plan on making a filler panel to go between the bumper and rear tailgate area.

another photo shows the CURRENT stage of the interior of the bed. only one support installed currently ive gotta weld in some more. just not on my to do list right now. bed is slightly raised to accept the 92 silverado frame and rear suspension.

made some instrument panel guage adapters. the adapters will be welded onto the dash and be a permanant piece since i dont think i will ever install factory guages back into the truck.....lol who would want to???? after looking at these great looking guages!!!!!!!!!!!

the adapter is 20ga Stainless steel. inside diameter is 4 7/8 and outside diameter is 5 1/2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how about that spare tire carrier? im going to use it.....believe it or not. atleast you wont see it and its there if i ever need it. hope that day never happens.

6. srs1

srs1

i've got some 52 model hinges and strikers you can have. you pay the freight.

7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

thanks SRS1 but just an hour ago i bought new strickers :( thanks for the offer though. maybe someone else will read your post and need them.

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

ripped out the headliner. freakin nasty. had a mouses nest or something behind it. whoever thought of using carpet for headliner had a few loose nuts in their noggin. got the dash about stripped down. next....sand sand sand. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

dang..i bought brand new 51 exterior door handles and i need 53 model. does anyone want to trade me?

10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

por15 the entire dash and part of the old floor board. first step and getting rid of all that darn rust and keeping it gone.

[​IMG]

ive learnt so much on this truck so far. maiinly because of the darn doors. if you havent read previous posts yet i will sum it up for your here.

i have a 1951 cab. ive got 53 model doors. inorder for these doors to fit on the 51 cab you must.....get new strickers and door jamb.

the only difference between the 51 and 53 doors are the door handles and latches. that is it! but you much change so much more if you want to convert over. wow.

now since ive welded in 53 door jambs and bought new strickers my doors shut rather good. im happy:D

11. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

rust inbeted the whole truck. atleast its one color now. lol.

in one photo that i included i showed the passanger side fender. old ass repair with brass and alot of bondo.

coming along little by little the wife is getting excited. keeps asking when she will be able to drive it. lol. i keep telling her how fast can she sand. damn i hate body work. :p good thing ive got help on this project.

time for me the shutup....heres the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. This picture cracked me up.

13. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't like the gas tank being behind the seat.

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

these trucks came out factory with the gas tanks behind the seats....:confused:

got a question though. i just installed my new headlight buckets on the doghouse. both buckets the outside ring has a funky gap. one side is touching the inner ring and the other side has a gap. what is causing this? is it normal? here is a picture showing what im talking about.

[​IMG]

15. ref_n101

ref_n101
    from DFW, Texas

I don't know where etown is but if you are anywhere close to DFW, Texas, there is a huge salvage yard in the area that has a lot of 52 and 54 Chevy trucks that are parts vehicles. The place is CTC Auto Ranch if you are still looking for any parts.

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

17. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

These trucks were built back when roads were a lot rougher and not as many were paved... also, back then they were working.

They started in 1947 with a under bed tank and the owners complained about punctures, leaks and what not, so GM put it back in the cab.

You can read about the tank in the cab here at Jim Carter's. If yer just curious. I know you have the later model chassis and what not.

-W

18. You've come a long ways in a short time! I just recently picked up a 1951 1/2 ton so I'll be following your progress to hopefully pick up some tricks. Keep up the good work. :)

19. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

eh...after posting my last comment ive got rethinking what i said.....the 51 cab ive got originally came with the tank behind the seat. im using a later model frame form a 92 silverado truck. the tank im using is from the later model truck. so its going to be between the frame rails under the cab and bed. i think mine is 36 gallon tank. good for that long distance drive! do i hear power tour in the near future?

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

noticed i didnt have any pictures of the engine. figured i take a snap and show it off. not much to look at ....yet but here it is. also not sure what the problem is yet but my hood is not setting down all the way near the cowl. lacks a inch from closing on both sides near the cowl. any ideas what may cause this?

[​IMG]

21. I don't know for sure, but is it possible that your front sheet metal is too high at the nose? I'm thinking if it was lower at the grill then that would allow the hood to come down more essentially closing the gap at the cowl.
    But that is just a guess..

btw- engine looks right at home in there. :)

22. Markgyver

Markgyver

Im with you.... I had a Willys CJ3B rolled it and was drenched in Gas.... Im glad it did not ignite

23. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

well i figured out kinda whats wrong with my hood. after disconnecting the hood springs the hood sits exactly where it should. even latches super easy. why would the springs cause the hood not to close though guys? the actually hood arms/hinge has a little play in the bolt holes. that is the only other thing that i think may effect the hood.

24. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

made killer progress today. trying to upload a video now to show everyone. stay tuned!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

25. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lxLRWL_LFdo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lxLRWL_LFdo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

26. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

27. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Thats a good feeling, isn't it!

It's alive and moving under it's own power. Wahoo!!

Keep going,,,,im watching.

28. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

ahead of me now is a crap load of electrical work. redo everything ive done today since i know it works and rewire it to go thru the fuse panel i bought at the swap me. that way its safer.

i was able to use the intank fuel pump from the donor frame. no flooding over. seems like its getting enough to get her going. im happy. wife is happy. was a good day.

gots tons of body work to do. main concern is the dash and around the windows so i can jamb everything up so that i can get the windows installed. once that is done get the sheriff over to approve the truck for plates. then drive the darn thiing and work on it on the weekends. sounds simple but alot alot of work.

29. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

30. chuxx

chuxx

One of many milestones, way to go!