Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife wants me to clean the bathroom, but my mind is wandering.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody ellingson, Jan 25, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

block.jpg

Now it makes sense, you just had a typo when writing the stamped number. You added an extra 1. yes, it sure looks like a 1969 block, as you thought.

the date codes on the heads, still hard to read, but looks like the one I can see ends in 3 or 8. I'd be really surprised if it ended in 9, because they didn't make that casting in 69, and as far as I know all the 69 and newer heads came with bolt holes in the ends, and yours don't appear to have them.

Those three digit numbers that you can't make any sense of, are some type of foundry number that may mean something to someone 50 years ago, but they don't seem to have much useful info today. I expect it is something to do with which blocks used that particular mold to make the casting core, but I'm not sure.

cody ellingson likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

April 30 1968 only 5 month before new year release.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Beginning of large journal 327's (edit) I mean 302. Look and bearing size to confirm as well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, 3 times , 1976,1978,1986. Long time ago but seems only yesterday.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

I very well did have a typo. Well it’s good that I’m getting somewhere in knowing the history of the motor and what it has to offer.., now onto getting the car ready for it. Torque tube and rear end are hopefully coming out today so I can pull the motor/tranny this week or next weekend. Apparently there is some sports ball game next weekend that is supposed to be a big deal, but I’m from Minnesota so we haven’t heard of it since around the time I was born

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Whew! Glad you are still young........not just young at heart. I'd hate to think some old geezer on here was still populating..........:D:D:D:D

Good luck with the new addition!;)

7. cody ellingson

cody ellingson

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 6sally6

6sally6

I can't finish reading this post because..........I gotta vacuum for my "other side"...I mean my other half!
    Later,
    6sally6

9. squirrel

squirrel

sure looks like a 9 to me, but I can see how you could see it as an 8. Or a 3, or a 6, even. the numbers were not made very well!

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I can see that at about 7 o'clock of upper loop of digit.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I generally look for other clues to the year, and don't worry too much about analyzing exactly the cast number. If they didn't make those blocks until 5 months after the year it could say, then it probably does not really say that.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

68 was also a turn over year. Myth say's they were some early 350's with road draft tube port at the rear of the block by distributor?

13. squirrel

squirrel

They weren't the 010 block, though, were they? Probably 1967 Camaro engines, mostly. Although there was enough variation 67-68 that I don't even try to keep track of it.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I once had a 68 LG journal 350 block with a hole for road draft tube . was not an 010 block though , don't remember # Came out of a 68 C10.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

You wash your pot................. oh....... wait, ..............never mind. Clean the bathroom, Thats where all the car magazines are anyway, right!!!

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The covers at least ;).

17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63