Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My wife is at it again, and I have pics to prove it!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Why not a GMC Cyclone engine with the 2 turbo's? Puts the Cyclone in 0-60 at 4,9 seconds!!

Guess what it will do to your little Englishman? :D

2. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

how big are those motors? I'm not real familiar with these cars, but it looks like a cool little project!

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats just a photoshop, how about a real custom one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. R.Allan

R.Allan
    BANNED
    from Ca

thats awesome !^^^

5. Looks like your wife has her hands full with the twins and a new project! congrats!

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's on hold right now due to a "funding gap" but will hopefully be back on track soon. We're still debating between a Toyota 4AGE and a Mini 1275cc ("the SBC of English cars"). She wants the car to be reliable and fun. Both those motors would do that and would be easy to drop in. Most other motors will require a LOT more work and parts, and big motors (like a SBC) will eliminate some much needed legroom. Did I mention my wife is nearly 6'?

:D

7. lexman24

lexman24

Ya pro street with a small block leaves you no legroom. But the gasser has almost a stock shaped floor board now. Tons of leg room. I am 6'4". Anyways goodluck.

8. Edian

Edian
    from Idaho

the t50 is out of the 83 and earlier corolla, they also had hemi 4-cylinders, they were pretty cool looking, and i guess had some power. a cam and an intake makes them go fast, and they cam in 1.6(earlier 2tc's) and 1.8 liter's(later 3tc's) yamaha even made a twin cam head for them,the twin cam head for the 1.8's even had twin plugs, cool motors and they were never fuel injected so no prob with that, just my 2 cents. and we got lots of 2tc last summer at my work(i work at a wrecking yard) up her in north idaho

9. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Very Cool. Good luck with the project.

Does your wife have a sister? ;-)

Mike

10. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I was actually looking to buy that car for my wife but could not get the funds together at the time. I currently have a Ute (truck) that I picked up in Chicago last summer. No motor and tranny (fine with me) or a bed. If you have questions I can try to help as I am still learning about these.

BTW a GM ecotec would be a aluminum motor so it might be light enough for the car. Also if you are considering a newer FI motor there is the 3.6 V6 that comes in the CTS with a 6 spd auto.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

You could always run the 13B rotary out of a turbo RX7............and they have reliable 5 speeds to boot.

12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Beautiful family.
    His n Her's garages??!! PERFICT!!
    After you get into prince of darkness electrics you will wonder, as did I , how they won the Battle of Britan.
    Those planes didnt have bosch, you know.
    What the heck is a "heat sinc??" for.

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

I believe the Ecotech will not fit without re-engineering the Morris steering. The rotary will fit with extensive work. My wife used to race RX7s and I dind't even get "rotary" all the way out of my mouth before she said "NO!" The Toyota motor will practically drop right in, and so will the 1275cc. They are the only 2 motors that I've found that are an easy swap. Everything else requires more work than it's worth in my opinion... at least for our purposes for this car.

14. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

So is the motor in the Morris a 750 cc? I had a 58 and it got about 50 MPG

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

I don't really know. I never bothered looking it up since we always planned on replacing it. I just know that it has a very low displacement

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bummer. I had a 12A in my 36 back in the 70's.

Someday I'll find another victim to drop a 13B in.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

She wants this car to be a reliable performer, and I don't think the rotary meets those requirements... plus, from what I understand, they have poor MPG and are kinda pricey.

18. Edian

Edian
    from Idaho

yea the rotary's may make power, especially for their displacement..but reliable? not really, most built rx-7 replace the apex seals eery 30,000 miles, no thenk you. toyota's are awesome, and well very reliable, and the 4age is a great motor and you can rev the piss out of em'. good luck, post pics of the motor installed when u get there

19. jack3140@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from canada

those are your turn signals u gotta love em jack

20. jack3140@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from canada

ooooops i meant those little bars behind the doors

21. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

This will complicate it more but what about a chassis swap? This will allow you the ability to put a larger 4 cyl without steering issues. Since you have to redo the floors anyway it would not add too much extra work from that aspect.

22. lexman24

lexman24

Thats true, the floors are completely shot. It would probably be better to update everything anyways. No sense in upgrading the engine if you cant stop. Plus many other issues that you just dont even think of. The problem is finding what will fit under the morris body correctly.

23. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am trying to do that now.

24. nexxussian

nexxussian

Looks like a heck of a start. The various RWD V6s would make it haul if you could make them fit. The Suzuki Swift / Chevy Spirit turbo 3 cyl would make it fly, likely fit, and be easy on fuel (with your foot out of it). But then you have to find one that's not shot, and work out the RWD conversion.

Or if the statement earlier was true about them possibly being intended for FWD (never heard that before, but it's an interesting idea) you might try a FWD conversion.

Since you're both tall (6' 3" here so I can sympathise with how that works into a project) it might help with that as when you redo the floor you can eliminate the trans hump (more footroom if nothing else). Hmmm Bonneville SSEi in the front. Heck any of them in the middle, mmm, yeah mid engine Morrie, talk about scaring the sporty cars.:D

Good luck.

25. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Rotarys are great between rebuilds :D

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

heh heh!

I've been reading a lot about conversions on the UK and Aussie Morris sites. I don't know about a frame swap, but it's a unique little car. I can't imagine it would be too easy to find a comparable donor in the US. A FWD conversion seems like a royal pain and not really worth the trouble.

I may have just worked out a deal with a guy for a complete Midget driveline... 1275cc banger, dual carbs, 4 speed trans, etc. I think I can also get the brake parts to convert the Morris to disks. It will bolt right in and will keep everything British so she only has to carry one set of tools instead of Brit Whitworth, Metric, and SAE. yeesh!

The best part is that it will all bolt right in... which means she can get working right away and possibly have the car on the road this summer. :D

27. lexman24

lexman24

Sounds like a good plan. Hope to see pics in 9 months, HAHA:D

28. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If you could find a morris truck it should fit on there as I think they all have the same wheelsbase. I know the trucks and the vans had full frames, not sure about the woodies. I know where one may be available, once I find another chassis to put mine on. Ever thought of a 2.8V6 from a S10?

Usually I get on the Aussie site if I have questions. There is a registry here in the USA. It is based out od the Columbus, OH area. If interested I can dig out the info.

29. elrobo818

elrobo818

What a lucky guy... Wish my wife could do that.

30. truckdude1

truckdude1

I thought you and the wife were doing an iH pickup for her? Or maybe I have my Czars confused. Pretty cool to have a wife who wrenches, at least mine brings beers to the garage. British cars, love them but I will never own one again. There's a reason Lucas is known as the Prince of Darkness.