Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Wife Finally Popped The Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Feb 18, 2010.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Likely you have much less in the car than buying anything new and if you bought anything new what would you have?

2. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I just guilt my into submission by spending some of my Car money on her for frivilous things like furniture and perfume and clothes which eventually gets me even more project money in the end meanwhile telling her that the bottle of perfume is much more important than some old car, then I will spend twice the amount that she had a problem with earlier. Has worked for quite awhile. Also, I never tell her what I really spend and if it comes up I tell her I could be somewhere else and spending it a dollar at a time instead of being here with you.

3. S.F.

S.F.

yeah what he said!

4. I think it's a matter of attitude. The attitude I've always had is that the Hot Rod is my hobby, not the most important thing in my life, and my wife knows that. If I have to put a new roof on the house and the paint or engine or whatever on the Hot Rod has to wait then so be it. I've known guys where the car in the workshop becomes a source of tension between the two of them and then it's no fun, and after all, this is supposed to be a good time isn't it. The last project took me 9 years to build because we put two kids through school and that came first, the 29 I'm doing now is all but done and is 2 years in the making this month. If you can live long enough it gets easier. I'll always be upfront about the money I've spent on a project, quite frankly I'm the one who doesn't want to know. I'm 62 and have had many projects over our 40 + years of married life and my wife has never asked " how much ". I think it's because she doesn't really want to know either and I guess I'm lucky that way.

5. willburton7

willburton7

my girlfriends askes that all the time. so i just start naming off thing that i have got and before she has a chance to say anything a start naming off thing that i need. Once her jaw hits the floor the conversation is over. And if she does say anything i just ask about that dam $800 sewing machine she had to have and used once. then nothing said! lol

6. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

My wife enjoy the car as much as me.. if she did't I never marry her..So she know ever cent I got in it. and she has also spend some of her own money on it..I could not ever have someone in my life that did not share what we enjoy..

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Realistically, it's a woman's nesting instinct that prompt these questions. They are designed to figure out a better way to spend the money. I would be wary of any woman that claims she don't care, but mine got tired of asking me a long, long, time ago. My answer has always been, "Soooooo, what's your point?"

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

I"ve been with the same woman for 29 years,shes seen me make money on cars,lose money on cars,but also knows that she is no.1 and cars come 2nd,if I find a car I want she is right there with me to look at it and she has even saved me money on some by pointing out things I don"t even notice.Ican honestly say when shes right there beside me fixing up cars it doesn"t get any better.I have been blessed to have a good one.

9. Vorhese

Vorhese

My wife manages the bank account. She knows everything. I play a good game. I give her a 6 month itinerary on what I'm going to spend and when, and keep it within reason. I get parts. She gets purses, spas, and shoes. When emergency parts need to be bought, she doesn't flinch.

10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

My wife in 1973 bitched at me to get rid of a 390 hp 427 red corvette roadster, 34000 miles so I put it up for sale 4 months later I got an offer for $2800.00 the best I had so I sold it...:eek::mad: Dumb, dumb, dumb WTF was I thinking...Do what you want but I don't sell anything anymore unless I want.. oh yes, some other dumbass has that wife now...

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

:D No wife = No questions :D

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Lucky me, mine gets involved and loves the events. We have had matching his and hers cars 3 times so far. She gets involved in the private malt shop we've built. And knows that all the time I spend in the shop keeps me close and away from all the things I could be involved in that would screw things up for us. Price of happiness? Worth everything we put into the things we enjoy together.

Attached Files:

13. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

Paintcan 54 so true about the money spent. My wife can spend money on what ever she wants but I tell her I need to buy a part for the car and I have to explain why.

14. 4speedman

4speedman

My ex never had a clue as to what I collected, cars, race parts, guns....Soooo when we split I kept all my shit. Don't ask don't tell ;) My current GF loves my gearhead lifestyle and all my old shit, as long as I am respectful and true to her she has nooooo problem with my addiction! (as long as it is kept to old cars, guns and beer lol)

15. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

Ive been married for 24 great years, I was hooked on old cars when she met me and have been ever since, I dont use her money for my habit and I always put the family first, car money stays with cars. It has worked so far.

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

My god you people are pussy whipped.

Hiding money? Hiding parts? Are you kidding?

17. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I am really blessed, I got fed up with the car a while back, ready to sell it, someone made a crappy offer, she said, "we are not loosing money on that car, tell him no way" I started the frame off three months ago, making it my dream car, and she is all for it.

18. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I got a camshaft in the other day. She said what's that? I said open it and tell me happy Valentine's day! Never a peep about what I spent..... she likes going to the events with me and that is where I am happiest so she is happy because of that. She is even coming along to the HAMB drags this year.

19. MAN UP! Look her in the eye and say not much dear,

20. I just ask her if she really wants to know, that's usually all I have to say.
    But if she really wanted to know I would tell her in a heart beat, I've got nothing to hide.

21. B Blue

B Blue

Dead wrong. Unless, of course your kid is out of college.

What does a kid want more than anything else? A CAR (well, not exactly everything). Anyway, it encourages them to get a job when they are say, 15 years old. School becomes second or third important. That's what you want for your kid?

I say do what you can to keep them in school as long as you can. They will have to go out and get a job soon enough.

22. blt2go

blt2go

when i married my wife she asked me to never lie to her, so when she asks a question like that i just say; you are asking for a lie, so think about it, do you really want the answer.

23. blt2go

blt2go

in response to kids working for their own cars. i agree that they need to show they are commited to taking care of the car, weather that be by working to help pay for it, insurance, or something else directly associated it, or by actually working on turning a pile into something they can be proud of. my dad chose the latter, all three of us had to build our own cars with money we worked for, and i was more proud of my 15 year old truck than my buddies were of the brand new ones that were given to them. just my 4 pennies.

24. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I know how much I've spent on my car to the cent. I have an excel spreadsheet on my computer to prove it. My wife knows I have the spreadsheet too but she has never asked to see it (besides if she did, I'd be glad to show it to her). Signed, Happily Married

25. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

the solution to this problem for me is to have 2 active car projects. and one of them is hers. she buys the parts and supplies for her car and helps with the labor. i work on her car when there is parts and supplies to do so.

it gives her a better understanding of what it takes in time and materials as well as some of the sacrifices on her part. but the pride that she has in her car and its progress keeps the playing field even.

granted her car is a vw but it's what she wanted and that's a big part of it... what she wanted, at least we are making a hotrod of her vw, and truthfully, its as much fun for me as working on my own car.

might not work for you guys but because she also has an income... it works for us.

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I live out of town, so some kind of car is necessary so they can drive to work. Whether they get to keep using the car depends on if they need it or not (to get to work or not, also dependant on their grades).
    My project is all cash - no credit, and not taking anything away from bills, etc. As a matter of fact, I've been framing up a room in the basement this last week (instead of getting my car done).
    Anyway, I just took some Popeye's to her at work. Scored some brownie points - Keepin the peace.

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Problem, she likes old Corvettes.

28. narlee

narlee

I'm one of the lucky ones. She bought me the 51 for my birthday and told me yesterday she was planning on helping work on it this week end.

29. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

My thoughts exactly. You're just digging yourself a hole with that strategy.
    Every little thing I get, I am proud to point out to her. Then she knows I'm straight up with her.
    And IF I'm asked, I say that even I don't know...because it is more than I am able to count up to.

30. Been married 22 years and I have had some kind of project going the whole time. No problems from my wife as long as I refer to them as our cars or our bike, not just mine. Selective hearing loss helps sometimes too.