Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Version of a Hot Rod - 1928 Ford Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpasticDwarf, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpasticDwarf

SpasticDwarf
    from TN

A year ago I picked up this 1928 Ford Model A and dove head first into the hot rod world - I had never fabricated anything, never spent any time around classic American cars, and really had no idea what I was doing.
    However, I'm excited to finally share my (somewhat) finished build. I'm sure it'll create some mixed reactions, but I'm looking forward to it all either way.

This past weekend I took the truck out to El Mirage to shoot some photos and video, and I figure where better to share than the HAMB.

[​IMG]

Video:
    https://vimeo.com/67155804

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love some feedback, and I want to thank this forum for providing tons of information and knowledge during my build. I hope everyone enjoys.

If you'd like to see more, there's a full writeup of my journey through the build here:

http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/05/mike-burroughs-ford-hot-rod-bmw-model-a/

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like it. The engine is throwing me off, but I'm sure you're used to that. Looks cool and fast. That's enough for me.

3. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

incredible work Mike...beyond impressed, all the way around.

proud to have been apart of this, even in slightest way...
    enjoy it & I look forward to hitting the street w/you.

*EDIT: make sure you guys take the time and actually READ the article.
    ...if this thread turns into a motor bashing rampage, you're clearly ignorant or can't read.
    hell watch the video, that should be enough for you!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. the-rodster

the-rodster

This should get interesting........

Rich

5. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

i wouldn't mind seeing some more of the chassis.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, he stated the reactions would be mixed, so I suspect he knew what was going to happen when he posted. So...... maybe let HIM deal with it.

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Traditional?
    Jay

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Nice VerminRod! Ole Chap

9. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

looks ok just not the place for it here. i can appreciate the time and energy involved though

10. WCRiot

WCRiot

Were you at Bimmerfest this year?

11. What part of traditional do you not understand.

It cool and the work is nice but the engine doesn't work for me ,,clearly I must be ignorant and can't read. :rolleyes: HRP

12. slammed

slammed

The engine kills it for this board. Plain and simple. anywhere else and it will likely roll. Criteria is set HERE by the boss Ryan. Understanding this will help anyone wishing to defend the ultra modern motor as being traditional. No Spin Zone.

13. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

Looks cool, work looks good , like too see chassis work! but!! You better get your big boy panties on because you fixing too get them ripped off!!!

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Did they dub-in tire squeeling when he's doing donuts? or is that shit really that hard?

15. what a waste of machinery...model A and bmw both....

16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I happen to like it and your way of thinking outside the box. It wouldn't be for me but, I don't have to drive it.

As far as this site and the rules, and what this site is suppose to represent it may not fly......

But then again, radial tires, mustang 2 front ends, AIR BAGS, air conditioning, power windows, Modern paint, modern wheels, and bio fuel slip between the cracks at time.

17. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Whoops! Did I log on to the wrong site again?!?!

18. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

I dig it. I'm not a nazi about any part of any car. Build it like its yours I say. Though I'm sure your gonna hear otherwise round these parts. Good luck.

..........but what would I know I'm just an FNG.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't love it. I don't hate it. But I wouldn't own it.

20. Pete

Pete

I kinda dig the BMW motor....maybe im not super hard core rockabilly greaser doo whop traditional.....but its pretty cool and I bet it screams!

Pete-

21. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I like the model A. It just needs a different (older) motor for this site. Drive it as is and if you feel like changing it someday give it a paint job and a older motor then go for it. Until then drive the crap out of it.

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I saw this when there was only one post. I kept my opinion to myself and watched and wondered. Wondered why every now and then someone feels the need to put up a post about a build that they admit a lot of us might not like. So my question is why do it. I mean, most of us are here because we like period hot rods and customs. I know the spirit of hot rodding is taking an old car and making it faster/better with modern technology. You can't say the builder doesn't get that. You can't say he doesn't do some great fab work. But most of us have happily pidgeon holed ourselves to a specific time period somewhere between shortly before World War II and the 60's give or take. We like what we like, that's why we're here. It's almost like every now and then someone feels the need to try and change our minds about what we like and what this website is about. Like I said, for what it is, the work looks too notch. Anyone who's ever had to fab something for their build can see that. But when you're pretty sure we're not gonna dig it, I just wonder why do it to yourself?

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well put. My thoughts exactly. It's like they wanna "push the envelope". Just as HRP said, what is it that's so hard to understand about traditional? Pretty much, it is or it isn't. And of course, then to say that if we don't like it, we must not be able to read or we're ignorant...that really helps matters...lol. Actually, I'm surprised the thread is still up. But it's not our call...it's up to the moderators.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks. Actually, I don't think anyone has been overly harsh. There are a few things besides the engine and tires/wheels I don't care for and kept to myself.

25. skinnydude

skinnydude

Great pictures of your truckout on the salt is a good looking truck. skinnydude

26. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Maybe not ultra traditional but still a kool rod. Very controversial indeed it and may have the wrong motor and wheels but at least its not some cobbled together garbage that someone went out of there way to make look like crap just so they could call it a rat rod. If it didn't have those wheels on it and had the engine hidden it may fit in a lot better but who am I to say I'm a newbie here although I've lurked for years. Mike is all about quality and definelty has style which he can't be faulted for IMO. I'm sure he is going to catch a lot of crap on here just like how the old jockey journal was when if u said bobber u got flamed like crazy...now I know I'm in the right place. Although I do like this car

27. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Run a full hood and don't tell people what you run in it and most of the negative comments would be gone.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. The wheels dont do it for me, and that motor throws the proportions off.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why? Because there are so MANY non traditional cars and threads on this site. It does seem like the rules get bent depending on popular opinion. There are all kinds of cars, trucks, auto-planes, bicycles and toys posted here that have NOTHING to do with what the bi-laws state. It does seem like some cars and people get a pass. That's why the envelope gets pushed.

I love traditional hotrods and customs and my car is neither. That's why I rarely post about what I'm doing to it. I try and limit my posts to stuff that can cross over to traditional builds. I think I do a fair job, but still cross the line a couple times. But when motor homes and SUV's made out of airplanes get posted, the line can appear to be fading or even gone. I think that's why we get people who try and cross the line.

Or it may be to get everyone all bent out of shape.

30. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

every thing looks better on the salt. the engine doesnt fit. not just the trad part, I mean physically, out of proportion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.