Register now to get rid of these ads!

My truck wanders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by great dane, Jan 3, 2013.

1. great dane

great dane

have 54 chevy truck,have replaced all orginal bushings on springs and hangers,steering is tight,have new kingpins,tierods good,and just had aligned.Tires 235/85 r16,only thing i haven't changed is my gas shocks(80,000 mi.)doubt that causing wandering.Really bad over 60 mph.would you guys have any ideas. Thanks

2. silversink

silversink

adjust the steering box----follow instructions to the tee or you will get it way tight or way loose

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Those steering boxes tend to get worn at center. Is there some slack in it? You also said that you have new tie rods, the stock style or newer ends? I put late model style on my 58 and that was day and night.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Willy301

Willy301

Wandering is usually a sign of something within the steering being loose, be it the box, the tie rods, or the king pins. If these are all tight, is there any play in the steering shaft? is the steering wheel following the wander? Radial tires usually do not have enough flex to wander unless the air pressure is low. Have you had it aligned? a poor alignment could cause some issues at higher speeds, especially if your toe is off.

5. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Does it "Wander, Wander, who wrote the book of love"??????

or does it "wa wa wa wa Wan-der, why.......why,why,why,why,why she ran away"?????

6. tpw35

tpw35

When I raced short track cars wandering or hunting as it was called usually had to do with toe, we always toed them out an 1/8th.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Put some wedges in to increase the caster a few degrees, if there is not too much slack anywhere. An eighth more toe-in might help too.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Have you checked tire pressure in all 4 wheels lately? The first thing a front end alignment tech does.

Low air pressure in rear tires can feel like it's wandering and cause the driver to constantly over correct.

9. were you textingor drinking while you were wandering? i am wondering

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

i caught my 50 Chevy truck wandering around with prostitutes and unsavory types.I adjusted the toe to zero with radial tires and the truck keep away from the whores.

11. lawman

lawman

I got beat to that one !!!!! Maybe he could lock or chain it up at night !!!! LOL

12. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I'm dazed and confused. I saw the title to this thread and thought that you were writing a new western song.
    Mike

13. fnla39

fnla39

I agree wirh The caster shims did "wander s" for my 52 truck. Straight as an arrow now.

14. belair

belair

Call it your Little Runaway.

15. Jimm56

Jimm56

Neuter him and he'll stay at home.:eek:

16. Does it come home "tainted"?

17. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Yeah sometimes while I'm setting here I wander............check the gear box as been stated go from there....

18. Tommy,
    Good thought. If toe is correct everything is tight it is normally someone has let the tires get a little soft or made them that way to improve ride.

I also would take a good look at the drag link, not when it is cold but after you have driven it a while and given it a chance to warm up.

Well you're in Pomona its not like here were things appear to be tight when they are cold.

19. castor wedges

20. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Yes some Negative Caster should help (3 Deg.) and check the toe. If all else fails add a steering dampener. Also check the Wheelbase and make sure its equal side to side.
    If still a problem, check your ride height. The frame should be a equal height at the front torque boxes and the rear torque boxes or you'll effect the caster.

The Old Tinbasher