Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage My trip to the LSR show in Austin Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Apr 14, 2013.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My first time road trip to the greatest show in Texas got started on Thursday as me and my trusty sidekick Ron headed south thru Oklahoma down I-35 and we made it almost to Texas before I saw the signs telling me about "Fried Pies" and so we had to stop and check out this place at the Arbuckle Mountain area near Davis, OK.
    The pies were good but the gal working there (possibly the owner) was unfriendly and did not respond to any of my friendly conversation. She made it seem like we were bothering her as I handed her my money.
    "Win some, Lose some" as I always say...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

After arriving in the Austin area later that evening at supper time we stopped in Hutto, TX to meet up with fellow Hamb member Dan Greenburg who is a famed photographer of automobiles from Aurora, Colorado who can be seen in the last photo here.

Attached Files:

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Dan had arranged for us to meet here and the place even had a pie "happy hour" and I liked that. The food was great and so was the folks working there. After the meal we had pie and mine was the house specialty which is apple pie ala mode served in hot cast iron skillet and covered in a brandy sauce. Very good indeed...

Attached Files:

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I liked the way my swap meet rig look parked near a palm tree since we had just arrived from cold and wintery Kansas so I took a photo of that.

Attached Files:

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Hey! I hope this story has pics of cars in it, not just Pies and you sittin under a Cow head!:D:D

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

The next morning we arrived at the fairgrounds and set up what I like to call "Camp Poverty Flats" which is part swap meet space but mostly a social "rest area."
    I hung up the banner that my pal Chaddilac had made me last year and waited for shoppers and visitors to stop by and boy did they ever. I met folks from all over the world and sold out everything I took there. Ron sold most of his stuff too.

Attached Files:

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Hi Tom !!
    Long time no see buddy ...:D

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Some guys from Norway stopped by and they are Hamb members but sadly I have forgotten their names. They left my space with a gasser pedal.

Attached Files:

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

A nice young couple from Sweden stopped by and his name is Nicholas (not sure what his Hamb name is) and they bought a nice pair of Cal Custom valve covers from me.

Attached Files:

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

For the next two days it was non stop social networking for me as folks came by on a regular basis to rest and drink some cold water and tell me stories.
    This is my element and what I enjoy the most.
    Here is my idol BobK from Wisconsin accepting a free gift from me.

Attached Files:

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And speaking of Santa Claus....Big Ken from TX showed up at the same time...
    I've always said two Santas are better than one...

Attached Files:

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Gene Winfield stopped by and bought a whole bunch of small parts from me and that was fun.

Attached Files:

13. If you refer to your previous thread you will see I questioned a trip with the Poverty Flats crew that didn't include all the culinary feast you guys are know to enjoy!:D HRP

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My pal Ryno from MO was there with his cool truck and stopped by to say hello.
    Thanks for the shirt buddy, I like it.

Attached Files:

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I saw that !!
    Stay tuned I have more food to show you...:D

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

One of the many food vendors was selling mini pies and they came in a wax paper package and went over great with my morning coffee.

Attached Files:

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

It was so great to see good friends Vicki and husband Ken all the way from South Carolina (Deville Gal and Slick 50) and they stayed to visit for awhile along with their dog Fritz.

Attached Files:

18. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I even got to meet John Denich from California and his Dad ( I think his name is Sam).
    They drove the Larry Watson inspired "Grapevine"custom Chevy there and were having a fun vacation.

Attached Files:

19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And Mike Howell (Earl Schieb) from Tennessee stopped by to visit and told me he was going to be painting a car for Bobwop from Wisconsin soon and that was cool.

Attached Files:

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And my pal Scott from Blue Earth, MN (Scoop) came by and it was good to see him. Sadly I missed his pretty young wife Vicky who was out shopping somewhere...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  21. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I got to meet Bob Owens for the first time who is shown here in his swap meet booth with Mike from TN.

Attached Files:

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

And while on a stroll I got to see my friend Marcy from TX who welcomed me to her neighborhood. Her vendor booth was very busy the whole time.

Attached Files:

23. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Working in Marcy's booth was the wife of BenD...Missy D who is my facebook friend as well.

Attached Files:

24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I finally got to meet the coolest couple from California...
    John and Cynthia of Acme Speed Shop and that was fun. Their booth was swamped with shoppers at all times.

Attached Files:

25. Willy_P

Willy_P

Hey Paul, I was in Texas for a wedding in Houston, and on the way home Wednesday we stopped at that same pie/service? station and we got the same treatment. She wanted to keep my credit card while I pumped fuel, and I don' t do that, so I had her charge 50 bucks and give my card back. I like Oklahoma, she's just not their best ambassador :)
    Willy_P

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I ran into Nick (malcolm) from Omaha, NE who drive his newly painted roadster thru the rain to get there with no top and did not complain. He built this car in his small garage and also won a Rodders Journal pick trophy. Nick should be a role model to other hot rodders in my opinion...

Attached Files:

27. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I read some online reviews of that place and they all said she was rude or cold and distant. How much better could business be if she learned how to smile ?

28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My nephew Travis from Kansas was there taking photos and had driven his wild custom Galaxie there too.

Attached Files:

29. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I got to talk to talented car builder Brian Bass at his booth and he took time to show us a beautiful 32 Ford he had built for a customer.

Attached Files:

30. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I had no idea you had a booth, hope you enjoyed the trip! I think my tour of the show talked Robert & Linda into coming down next year, which has dad thinking about it.