Register now to get rid of these ads!

My trip to the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by don-vee, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Ok, it's not exactly hot rodding, but then again, maybe it is, since I envisioned making a gasser out of about 75% of these things!
    On our way down to Florida, I decided I'd like to take a stop at a place I always wanted to check out, but hadn't done so thus far. When I heard the museum was closing its doors forever in Feb 2013 and auctioning off all its inventory, I decided it was now or never.
    If you ever find yourself nearby within the next few months, I highly suggest taking the time to check it out. It's interesting as hell, and the place is chock full of auto memorabilia.
    So, here's some pics from our stop at the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum in Madison, Georgia...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I lived in GA and never made it there. Looks like a great museum, I'll get there one of these days.

Not hot rods, but that is unbridled car passion, no matter what the make.

3. One more batch...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Thank you for the great pics. These are really cool. Shame its closing down.

5. thats cool, i cant decide if it makes me want to get a micro car and put a big american V8 in it or put a european motorcycle engine in an american hot rod. ive always liked micro car but they are hard to find around here.

6. ..an incredible collection, thanks for the good pictures, i remember when Mr. Weiner had his last i-buy-it-all wave over here (he even bought an entire microcar museum, which i visited before!), the prices for even the high production numbered goggomobil went up and up, i just bought mine some time before..

i red in a german classic cars mag that all off 'em sweeties will be auctioned without reserve, so it is sure that this unique collection will be spread all over the world again.. hope that all that dwarfs can look into a good and safe future. :rolleyes:

Carsten

7. Unbelievable collection!

Why is it closing and auctioned off? That's a shame!

8. ev88f

ev88f

Just think about all the space you would save if you were into these :)

9. Fenders

Fenders

10. Just did a Googlesearch and came up with this:

http://microcarmuseum.com/events.html

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]“To me, it’s all about the thrill of the chase,” Weiner adds. “My collection has brought me incredible joy over the years, but simply finding and restoring these cars is not enough for me. In order to fully appreciate them, I need to share them. I’m really looking forward to the sale and happy that these unique cars will be spread to other passionate collectors throughout the world. As I see it, we’re enlarging the microcar community by letting these go and helping keep history alive.”

It's Mr. Weiner's collection and he can do what he likes.
    But what's the point in buying/collecting 200 different cars from all over the world and putting
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] together [/FONT] a unique collection, then after 15 years destroying this unique collection with the argument, that the [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] cars should be spread all over the world. :confused: Seems a flawed logic to me....
    [/FONT]

11. My dad and I had a good friend in the TCA (Train Collector's Association) who had fantastic collection of prewar O and Standard Guage trains that was very well-known and sought-after. A few years after he retired from his job, he dediced to auction off the whole thing- people thought he was NUTS; what an idiotic thing to do!

Long story short- tons of folks came out to the auction, LOTS of them got a "prized item" that they made the centerpiece of THEIR collections, and with the money he made, he went out searching again and wound up putting together one of the nicest early Marx collections ever.

It'll be a shame to see them go, but I don't think this will be the end, just a new direction :)

12. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

what an awesome collection of strange little cars!!!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool cars. just went and watched some U-tube and found a Vespa 400 with a sportster motor running around.

14. cmichael

cmichael

It is a very cool place. I live about 5 miles from it and know the guy that works there full time restoring the cars. He is super talented he has to make alot of the parts by hand.

15. shonky

shonky
    from Norfolk UK

Having owned an Isetta and a Nobel 200 , i know they are great little things to restore and own.
    But as most of them only have 8" wheels and very small engines (isetta 300cc & Nobel 171cc ) they are not too much fun to drive over any distance.
    The nobels were all Blue and white and only approx 1000 were made (500 early & 500 "A" models) as the one on the top shelf in the background of some of the photo's shows.

16. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Speaking of Vespas, ever seen this one?:eek:

Cool museum. Thanks for posting the pics.

Attached Files:

17. mk e

mk e

I LOVE the pics! Thanks!

I don't know why, but I keep thinking I need to drag an isetta home....until my wife smacks me that is :)

18. Dang, now I'm peeved I didn't make it there when I lived in Atlanta!

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

I've done the bodywork on a half dozen Isettas over the years and can vouch that they are real cool in their own way.
    This collection REALLY needs to be kept TOGETHER though!!!

20. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Im going to check it out myself. My parents live close to Madison and have driven past it before. I will be a down there for Christmas.